Windows 10: Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function

Discus and support Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm confused about the Windows 10 reset function and need some enlightenment. Today, I decided to do a Windows 10 reset and wipe out my existing HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by moondoggy, Sep 7, 2015.

1. moondoggy Win User

Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function

I'm confused about the Windows 10 reset function and need some enlightenment.

Today, I decided to do a Windows 10 reset and wipe out my existing HD of all of the old apps, files, etc. (I have it all backed up with Acronis backup). I thought the correct procedure was to burn an install DVD for the Windows 10 platform I currently have, boot from the DVD, select Repair and then fire off the reset that way. I did that but when it got to that step it failed saying that there was a problem (of course) and that the reset could not proceed. After that failure I went into Windows 10 and went into repair and successfully fired off the reset function there. So my question is this.....

If your intent was to get a complete, total, clean install of Windows 10, how is it that the reset only works from within Windows 10? If you specified in the reset that you wanted the C: drive completely cleared of everything, how is it that Windows 10 is still there to be reinstalled once the C: drive has been flushed?

Bottom line is this..... I've had so many problems with Windows 10 since the time I upgraded from Windows 7 it's not even funny. Now Windows 10 is being reinstalled on my PC from something that was put there during the upgrade and I'm concerned. Should I be? Can someone please enlighten me?

:)

moondoggy, Sep 7, 2015
  2. AlecDixon Win User

windows error 0xC0000221

i used the windows 10 reset function to reset my whole desktop and when i tried to use it afterwards i was greeted by a blue screen with the error 0xc0000221. I have researched the topic and have come up empty handed and/or just confused. If i just buy a
    new hard drive and go about this like it is a brand new setup will that work?

I forgot to mention that when i do try to reinstall windows 10 with my usb drive it says that the correct media drivers are missing. I have not been able to reinstall my drivers for my motherboard.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

AlecDixon, Sep 7, 2015
  3. frazer007 Win User
    Bluetooth app removed by Reset Windows 10

Obliged to activate Reset in Win 10 ok then viewed a listing of applications the reset auto removed while refreshing the PC. amongst many items removed including the Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba Win 10 OS functions ok although many apps
    had to be re-installed however I appreciate advice how to get back the Bluetooth function for speakers and Bluetooth keyboard. A d'load from Toshiba for Drivers did not help at all ,only confused the issue and could not install

Advice appreciated. frazer 007

frazer007, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

The reset is kind of a refresh. It keeps te system as it is, but removes junk, checks files for being the correct ones and replaces those, which somehow have been modified although they should not have been.

A clean installation is something different: For a clean installation you would create a bootable medium, like an USB stick and boot from there. The clean installation will first of all empty the complete drive and then start installing Windows on it.

If you say that the problems after the reset still are "not funny", then you might try a clean install.

If all does not help, you might consider going back to your previous version of Windows (for which you have one month after you did the upgrade).

Joergi, Sep 7, 2015
  5. moondoggy Win User
    The option I choose when performing the reset was the completely flush the HD, which it did, and the current install of Windows 10 looks clean and new and, at this point, appears to be working well. My confusion comes from this.....

If the reset flushed my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10, where were the installation files stored that were used to reinstall Windows 10?

moondoggy, Sep 7, 2015
  6. I think you're interpreting "flushed my C: drive" to be something like "wiped" -- where the entire partition is removed and the contents overlayed with ones and zeroes. That is not what is done. Even when a partition is reformatted, the files are not actually removed; instead, the partition boot record is overwritten -- but the files remain intact. In addition, Win10 install often creates a Recovery partition, and perhaps it was this that was used to reinstall.

Mark Phelps, Sep 7, 2015
  7. moondoggy Win User
    OK. If Windows 10 created a recovery partition then that might explain how it went about the install because all of my application files, data files, music, pictures, everything is gone from my C: drive just as I wanted it to be.

moondoggy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function - Similar Threads - Confused Reset Function

2. Enquire about the Function " Reset This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enquire about the Function " Reset This PC": Some malware may existed in my PC. So, i would like to remove them by resetting my PC.For details, I visit to "Settings -> Rocovery -> Reset This PC". Then i selete "Remove everything","Clean Data YES","Delete files from all drivesYes"."Download WindowsYES".Could this...
  3. Enquire about the Function " Reset This PC"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enquire about the Function " Reset This PC": Some malware may existed in my PC. So, i would like to remove them by resetting my PC.For details, I visit to "Settings -> Rocovery -> Reset This PC". Then i selete "Remove everything","Clean Data YES","Delete files from all drivesYes"."Download WindowsYES".Could this...
  4. Confused about Explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confused about Explorer.exe: When I open Task manger and switch to system Process I saw explorer.exe. What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-about-explorerexe/ca36a691-3b45-4935-9033-bc50482b3ccf
  5. Confused about Explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confused about Explorer.exe: When I open Task manger and switch to system Process I saw explorer.exe. What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-about-explorerexe/ca36a691-3b45-4935-9033-bc50482b3ccf
  6. Confused about Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about Updates: Hi, I've spent a few hours this morning trying to update Windows then furiously back-peddle after reading horror stories online - throw in a Repairing Disc Errors screen... you get the idea. But I'm confused about what I should do now. Under Windows Update I have: Feature...
  7. Confused about java and Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Confused about java and Windows 10: okay I use IE, Chrome and FF, I can get java installed and works properly for Chrome and FF however, IE seems to have a problem, on the java site it offers 2 different versions, one for IE and one for others but it seems no matter what I do IE refuses to see it I use WD...
  8. My confusion about Windows 10 and Drivers.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    My confusion about Windows 10 and Drivers.: Whenever I install windows 10 on the system, I have difficulty to decide how should I install drivers, and there is a reason for that, in this context I'm talking about pc/laptop which don't have windows 10 drivers on their manufacturer site. I thought that if windows 10...
  9. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...
  10. Confused about OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about OneDrive: First post, as a newcomer to Win 10 after 15 years with XP (and all previous Windows OS versions). On this page Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10 I'm reading an explanation of OneDrive: "While you can always choose where to save files that you create,...