Windows 10: Confused about Windows folder structure

Discus and support Confused about Windows folder structure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm hoping someone can help clear my confusion about the Windows 10 folder structure. I will take the "Documents" folder as an example. There is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MesPia, Aug 27, 2019.

1. MesPia Win User

Confused about Windows folder structure

I'm hoping someone can help clear my confusion about the Windows 10 folder structure. I will take the "Documents" folder as an example.

1. There is a Documents folder under OneDrive, which I assume is the Cloud copy of documents.
    2. There is a Documents folder under This PC, which I had thought was the on-disk copy of documents.
    3. But then I discovered a Documents folder under "This PC>OS (CConfused about Windows folder structure :)>Users>user_name, which appears to be the real on-disk folder, but it was empty.

So what is "This PC>Documents"?

:)

MesPia, Aug 27, 2019

2. Windows 10 File and Folder Structure

I want to reorganize the files and file structure on my Surface desktop computer and have several rather disjointed questions. My basic knowledge of file structure is based on the organization of the C drive from DOS. I don't have a typical office/windows
    application in some respects, but I could make it work if I understood where things were stored and why. I need to be able to include atypical locations, files and folders in backups. I thought I'd ask some very basic questions, understand the answers and
    be able to follow-up with more specific questions. I hope someone can help me through this learning process, please. I am the sole user of this computer and the administrator, although I also have a user account but find it confusing in some situations.

1. Where can I find an example of the original Windows structure - as in a newly installed product? I also have Office 365 so understanding where it fits in the file structure is necessary.

2. Looking at the installed configuration, I saw several folders listed first - documents, downloads, music, pictures. In exploring my C:\ drive, I see a few unnecessary folders and one that says Users. Clicking on Users, I see other folders and have
    another folder listed User. Selecting that folder gives me a long list of folders on my C:\ drive including documents, downloads, music, pictures which appear to have different locations from the first level of folders. It is likely I created this confusion
    and it does complicate backups and sometimes restores. Furthermore, I don't need all of these levels and it creates more confusion when saving stuff.

3. I have 1TB of internal storage. When I change the default location saving files and move existing files/folders to external drives, my storage space remains the same, dangerously full. How do I get the system to restore the space.

I realize this is confusing - at least to me. Is there a Microsoft book (online or hardcopy) you can suggest for me to understand these issues and how to reorganize my harddrive? I'm an old woman and just need some basic understanding to make this work.
    Thanks for any help from anyone!

Second Greatest Mom, Aug 27, 2019
  3. buck10 Win User
    Folder structure

Hi

I would like my folder structure to have the list view but show thumbnails for files within those folders.

In the 'folder options' I can only set either picture view or list view. How can I achieve list view AND show thumbs?

I have realised I can set this manunally for each folder, but it's impractical as I have thousands of directories.

Thanks for any help

buck10, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Confused about Windows folder structure

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Confused about Windows folder structure :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Confused about Windows folder structure :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Confused about Windows folder structure

1. Confused about Windows folder structure - Similar Threads - Confused folder structure

2. confusion about how to find a folder in the Command window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    confusion about how to find a folder in the Command window: In the file explorer, i start at "This PC".DBl-Click on C drive, Bar in Explorer shows: This PC > Windows SSD C:Dbl-click folder Users, Explorer shows: This PC > Windows SSD C: > UsersDbl-Click folder tomco, Explorer shows: This PC > Windows SSD C: > Users > tomcoDbl-click...
  3. confusion about how to find a folder in the Command window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    confusion about how to find a folder in the Command window: In the file explorer, i start at "This PC".DBl-Click on C drive, Bar in Explorer shows: This PC > Windows SSD C:Dbl-click folder Users, Explorer shows: This PC > Windows SSD C: > UsersDbl-Click folder tomco, Explorer shows: This PC > Windows SSD C: > Users > tomcoDbl-click...
  4. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive file structure confusion: Hello,I reset my computer and I deleted all the files from OneDrive folder and uninstalled oneDrive from Control Panel. Now the problem is I do not have Desktop and other folders. So from my understanding, My PC was using OneDrive's 'Desktop' folder. But I do not want to use...
  5. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive file structure confusion: Hello,I reset my computer and I deleted all the files from OneDrive folder and uninstalled oneDrive from Control Panel. Now the problem is I do not have Desktop and other folders. So from my understanding, My PC was using OneDrive's 'Desktop' folder. But I do not want to use...
  6. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Confusion about "MY PC" system folders and other folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Confusion about "MY PC" system folders and other folders: My "My PC" window has seven system folders. Brink has an excellent tutorial on how to remove or restore them. What are their purposes? For example, is Documents supposed to automatically suck up any docx, pdf, etc. file? What would the consequences be if I removed one of the...
  8. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.: I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I looked at what was on the drive. All the correct folders were there, but Documents had nothing in it, only a desktop.ini file....
  9. Folder structure

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder structure: Hi I would like my folder structure to have the list view but show thumbnails for files within those folders. In the 'folder options' I can only set either picture view or list view. How can I achieve list view AND show thumbs? I have realised I can set this manunally...
  10. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...