Windows 10: Confused by different document folders

Discus and support Confused by different document folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, What is the difference between the document folder with a beige folder icon and the one with a page with a large 'A' and lines? Which one should I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Candicemarie, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Confused by different document folders

Hi,
    What is the difference between the document folder with a beige folder icon and the one with a page with a large 'A' and lines? Which one should I use to save my documents? Thanks, Candice

document icon image.pdf Windows 10 Home, Version -10.0.19041 Build 19041

:)

Candicemarie, Jan 9, 2021

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 9, 2021
  4. MesPia Win User

Confused by different document folders

Confused about Windows folder structure

I'm hoping someone can help clear my confusion about the Windows 10 folder structure. I will take the "Documents" folder as an example.

1. There is a Documents folder under OneDrive, which I assume is the Cloud copy of documents.
    2. There is a Documents folder under This PC, which I had thought was the on-disk copy of documents.
    3. But then I discovered a Documents folder under "This PC>OS (CConfused by different document folders :)>Users>user_name, which appears to be the real on-disk folder, but it was empty.
    So what is "This PC>Documents"?

MesPia, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Confused by different document folders

1. Confused by different document folders - Similar Threads - Confused different document

2. whats difference between "This PC" Documents folder and c://.../documents ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    whats difference between "This PC" Documents folder and c://.../documents ?: I restored files from Google drive to c://users/me/documents but the files are not visible in "This Pc/Documents"I thought those two things were the same, but it appears not......
  3. whats difference between "This PC" Documents folder and c://.../documents ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    whats difference between "This PC" Documents folder and c://.../documents ?: I restored files from Google drive to c://users/me/documents but the files are not visible in "This Pc/Documents"I thought those two things were the same, but it appears not......
  4. Confusing documentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confusing documentation: Trying to customize the task barSo which one of these two is correct?https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarThat one is newer, has an image of what I am trying to do remove all but Start, Search, and Task VeiwOr this...
  5. Confusing documentation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confusing documentation: Trying to customize the task barSo which one of these two is correct?https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarThat one is newer, has an image of what I am trying to do remove all but Start, Search, and Task VeiwOr this...
  6. Confusing documentation

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows 10: Documents folder in This PC is different from Documents folder in C:\user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Documents folder in This PC is different from Documents folder in C:\user: Windows 10: Documents folder in This PC is different from Documents folder in C:\user Among the above two options, what is Microsoft's intended and recommended path for savings one's documents for proper functioning including syncing with OneDrive?...
  8. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.: I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I looked at what was on the drive. All the correct folders were there, but Documents had nothing in it, only a desktop.ini file....
  9. Default Deleted documents and downloads folder now they keep confusing

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Deleted documents and downloads folder now they keep confusing: No backups, no system restore, nothing of the sort. No data to worry about either. But the folders were being annoying confusing themselves for each other, my downloads shortcuts were renamed to documents and pointed to the documents directory but the icon still looked like...
  10. Confusion about two different pathways for sasme document?

in Windows 10 Support
    Confusion about two different pathways for sasme document?: I recently got a new computer (HP Envy 750) that came with Windows 10H. With an external drive, I had backed up stuff from my browser, email client and documents that was on a crashed windows 10 that had updated windows 7, and then transferred to the new computer. I am...