Windows 10: Confused by dual search functions?

Discus and support Confused by dual search functions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What is the difference in the search functions? you have search permanently docked on the Taskbar and then search permanently set in the Start Menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trust_No1, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Trust_No1 Win User

Confused by dual search functions?

What is the difference in the search functions?
    you have search permanently docked on the Taskbar
    and then search permanently set in the Start Menu

so, why are there 2 searchers (one right under the other)? Do they do different things?

:)

Trust_No1, Oct 5, 2014

2. Firmware How Often

Noticed 206 dual hasn't had update yet?, how often do they update firmware? Confused by dual search functions? :confused:

badboybubz, Oct 5, 2014
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Inverse Dual boot

Dual boot is dual boot. Web search is web search.

BulldogXX, Oct 5, 2014
  4. Confused by dual search functions?

paulsalter, Oct 5, 2014
  5. Trust_No1 Win User
    Umm, okay

but that still doesn't make sense to me.
    Even when Cortana is activated, wouldn't it still be part of normal searching?

Trust_No1, Oct 5, 2014
  6. A bit of give and take in my opinion... on a desktop i would say no but tablet/phone then maybe yes, having it right there on the task bar means it's at the touch of a finger which is what it's all about.

Clicking start isn't exactly the long way but it is one extra click/touch *Biggrin

JDobbsy1987, Oct 5, 2014
  7. Edwin New Member
    The Charms Bar/Search Panel, Start Menu Search and the Taskbar Search all function the same with the integrated Bing thing; the taskbar icon is where you can access settings and I've got a feeling that's where 'Cortana' is going to ('talk to you') from, *Wink , and raise notifications possibly.

https://www.tenforums.com/software-an...tml#post151423

The integrated Bing thing creeps me out! I don't want my personal files cached online!
    The PC, ("Public Computer"), as we knew it ain't so "Personal" anymore!

Edwin, Oct 5, 2014
  8. Tony K Win User

I've not a chance to install 10 yet due to faulty PSU. Awaiting shipment.

Questions > Is there an option as to where to search in either the Start Menu or opening the one on the Taskbar? Is there still an option to turn Bing off in the Search category in PC options as in 8.x? One can opt out of things like advertising, location, and other Bing entities in 8.x. Still hold true in 10?

I would think both searches are the same Bing integrated. The search eyeglass on the Taskbar actually mimics the one on the Start Screen. The search in 8.x was very much improved. Did much experimenting with it finding files and words within files even if the file is open. It didn't skip a beat.

Edwin, your files won't be cached online. The only thing would be is the files you might place in OneDrive. All in all you can make your PC as private as you want. I see one can continue to use local accounts. MS is not the "evil empire" as some claim. They would get their butts sued for sure.

Tony K, Oct 5, 2014
  9. Edwin New Member
    K, I hear ya, but, I'm skeptical.
    If you get up running with WTP, do one thing for me:
    Put something 'sacred' in your default Pictures folder, then search Pictures with that engine. When the Bing interface comes up, click on the 'Files' link in the menu bar; notice your content is displayed within that live application!
    Now, when that application is running in it's container on your PC, is the content restricted to your PC only, even though it has a ton of other content and other links displayed along side of it?
    All the content runs within that container, web or native! I'm sure personal content is not going out live over the world wide web but, I'm sure it's being cached somewhere! That's a huge privacy concern for for tons of people!

Here's a little 'diddy' as an example, (use caution, it could be shocking!):

Creepy but Funny - 000's library

Edwin, Oct 6, 2014
  10. Tony K Win User
    LOL! This is frustrating for me. There I was happily downloaded the WTP and attempting to burn it, then bam! Stopped cold! I'm grateful, but I've borrowed my daughter's lappy with 7 on it, so I have no 8 nor 10. *Sad

Not to point out an error, but did you mean "sacred"?

Nice video with great music there, Edwin! *Thumbs

I see they inproved the Search results interface. It's more like a in-house web page than in 8.x. I think they use HTML 5 Javascript to create these pages as they did in 8.x. HTML 5 Javascript - Windows 8.1

Not a coder, so I wouldn't know absolutely, but I should think that it's an "in-house" (not "live") page created by using a combination of the search within File Explorer and Bing search engine. It places the results in a template. Therefore, it's an "in-house" page that's very similar to a web page, but without an address. I see it brings up ads just like a web page. The only thing that's being cached is what you're searching for, which can be opted out of along with the ads. At least in 8.x it can.

This/these are but a few of MS's services. Don't want to use them? > Shut them off. I'm enjoying the information that 8.1 on both my PC and Lumia gives me and looking forward to it in 10. After all, this is the information age. Don't want the info? Then shut it off.

On the other hand, I realize that this is all on by default and that it might not fit enterprise or others because of distraction. Perhaps MS should add a notice upon first boot just like the old "What's New" so to educate users on it. One could shut off "What's New" by checking "Do not show again". There was another one, but this old guy can't remember it!

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  11. Edwin New Member
    Fair enough my friend. Glad you liked the vid! *Wink Just a crazy one-off spoof but the point comes through.
    I'm by no means an expert on how all that stuff works but, I had the weirdest privacy issue with a Google application a while back so it makes me leery and cautious.
    Thanks for the feedback! *Smile

(P.S. I did mean sacred; fixed!)

Edwin, Oct 6, 2014
  12. Tony K Win User
    Now Google is another story. What's their specialty? > Data collection for advertising initially. The Evil Mobiles they have to collect Street View data was actually collecting WiFi IP addresses to match location too. They got sued over that one. Never did follow up on that one to know the outcome. Perhaps I'll do a Bing search on it. *Tongue

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  13. Confused by dual search functions?

I not really sure what Cortana is designed to do.
    When I tick on it all I get is some pictures of people that I really don't want to know anything about.
    I don't use cell phones so I'm somewhat lost.

What I have gathered it's some sort of talking program on phones.

Layback Bear, Oct 7, 2014
  14. Petey7 Win User
    Are you at all familiar with Siri on the iPhone? Cortana is like a version of Siri that is actually useful.

Petey7, Oct 7, 2014
  15. I'm not familiar with any kind of cell phone. I have used a friends phone about 5 times.
    What ever it does if it's useful I will like it.
    Does one have to get a mic for a desktop to talk to this Cortana?

Layback Bear, Oct 7, 2014
Thema:

1. Confused by dual search functions? - Similar Threads - Confused dual search

2. Confusing taskbar search icon

in Cortana
    Confusing taskbar search icon: Did Windows mistakenly replace Windows 11's search icon with Windows 10's? It's really not seamless with other icons. And is there a way to set the icon back to the original? like the icon of the search box...
  3. Confusing taskbar search icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confusing taskbar search icon: Did Windows mistakenly replace Windows 11's search icon with Windows 10's? It's really not seamless with other icons. And is there a way to set the icon back to the original? like the icon of the search box...
  4. Confusing taskbar search icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Navigating search functions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigating search functions: When I right click in the quick access search bar of file explorer on my work pc it immediately gives me the option to copy and paste and then automatically looks up what I pasted. My home pc when right clicking pops up the resize pane, I have to first click into the box...
  6. Navigating search functions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Navigating search functions: When I right click in the quick access search bar of file explorer on my work pc it immediately gives me the option to copy and paste and then automatically looks up what I pasted. My home pc when right clicking pops up the resize pane, I have to first click into the box...
  7. Windows search not functioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search not functioning: Is it only me or others are also having problems. my windows search is not working when i type in some app name...even fully it's only showing files but not apps...can someone please help me with this? Thanks.... I'm a windows insider...btw...up to date... updated. submitted...
  8. Search function in Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Win10: Hi, I noticed that, when performing a search via the Windows search function and then clicking on "see more results", it opens an explorer window with the search results. So far, so good. The issue is, when I do the next search the same way and then clicking again on "see...
  9. Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function: I'm confused about the Windows 10 reset function and need some enlightenment. Today, I decided to do a Windows 10 reset and wipe out my existing HD of all of the old apps, files, etc. (I have it all backed up with Acronis backup). I thought the correct procedure was to...
  10. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function not working: Hello, When I type anything in the search, nothing shows up. really frustrating, what can I do to fix it? Thanks 28935