Windows 10: Confused by user/windows accounts!

Discus and support Confused by user/windows accounts! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am the only user on this Windows 10 laptop. No one else here wilI use it, my wife would be frightened to use it and she has her own anyway. I want to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bertie11, Jul 18, 2016.

1. bertie11 Win User

Confused by user/windows accounts!

I am the only user on this Windows 10 laptop. No one else here wilI use it, my wife would be frightened to use it and she has her own anyway. I want to be able to login (or rather not to have to login) when Windows starts up. I did have this working until an update not sure which one though. Now I have to login with a password. I don't know if this is a Windows password or a user account password. I came across a screen that said mine was the only account and it was the Admin account and I couldn't change it as there was no other account setup.

I just want to switch on and get the the desktop without fiddly passwords! I was locked out the other day when something happened (don't know what) and I had to restore an image from 3 days previous and I could then get in again but even then I had to create a password to do so.

I do sometimes use a MS account if I buy an app from the Store but I don't want to have to use the MS login just to use my system.

I hate Windows sometimes.*Mad

Can some kind Guru please set me right?

:)

bertie11, Jul 18, 2016
  2. SteveSale Win User

Confused about user accounts

I recently purchased a laptop for my son, and upgraded to Windows 10. I then wanted to add myself as a user to access things I can't with my Mac, eg Visual Studio. I used the Accounts section in Settings, and set up and registered with Microsoft. So far
    so good.

On the start up screen, both accounts are visible, and can be signed into.

However

When I create a document, it saves with the file path C:/Users/'MySonsName', rather than mine.

Opening up the users folder shows the usual windows folders, a folder called matts which was the name he gave to the computer when he first turned it on, and the folder 'MySonsName'. There is no user folder for my work. If I open 'MySonsName' folder, I can
    the shortcuts to pictures, videos etc, as well as my dropbox account.

Is it not possible to have two separate independent account in Windows 10 like previous versions of Windows?

SteveSale, Jul 18, 2016
  3. Confused about user accounts

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your queries in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issues.

Please verify in which user account you have logged when you are saving the files?

If you logged in to his user account and still files are saved under your son's user account then either the account he has created for himself is a temporary profile or the User are corrupted for that account.

To confirm the same ask to create a new user account and check.

Refer the following link for help create a new account and login.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Sudharshan M K, Jul 18, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

5. bertie11 Win User
    Hi Kari, thanks for the link but I've been using that all the afternoon. Whatever I try makes no difference, I still need to enter a password, it's driving me crazy!

bertie11, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Confused by user/windows accounts! - Similar Threads - Confused user accounts

2. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  3. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  4. Totally confused about user accounts/can't delete user account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Totally confused about user accounts/can't delete user account.: My Dad gifted me a laptop he is no longer using. He has all his files and said I can delete all of his content off the computer. I'd like to basically start it from scratch. Using his credentials, I set up a new user account for myself and made myself an administrator. I...
  5. User Account Confusion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Account Confusion: After I tried to create a new Local User Account, Windows 10 or Microsoft used it to replace my Microsoft Account. On Windows 10 Control Panel it appears as a Local Account. On Windows 10 Settings/Accounts/Your Info it appears as a Microsoft Account. I have changed its new...
  6. User Account confusions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account confusions: Device nameHPLAPTOPProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM8.00 GBDevice ID01C2869A-EACD-48CF-ACA6-4CFED37BDFF3Product ID00325-96176-65479-AAOEMSystem type64-bit operating system, x64-based processorPen and touchTouch support with 2 touch points...
  7. User accounts confusion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User accounts confusion: No idea where else to post this... Several years ago I bought my current system from eBay, and it arrived with a user account set up call it "BLUE1" that I was unaware of, as I went through my own personalization, creating a user account, etc. Soon I realized there were...
  8. Windows 10 Home user account confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Home user account confusion: Can anyone explain below behavior of Windows. In two locations I see username as: Amy In the other two locations I see username as: PKBK [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-user-account-confusion/a54d4056-b9c0-4be9-b8e9-e65f30ccdb27
  9. Confused by user accounts

Confused by user accounts: I am having trouble with user accounts in Windows 10. I have three different logins, “dan”, “william” and “william lockie”. They come up randomly when I start or restart the computer. The PW for all of them is ********, the same. There are two users folders: 1. C:\users\...
  10. Confusion between User accounts and Windows Explorer User folders

Confusion between User accounts and Windows Explorer User folders: The Windows Explorer lists two user folders. However, User Accounts in control panels only shows one account-mine. Why not two? Also, the folder name in Explorer is different than the one in User Accounts*cry. Why? I'm throughly confused. What are the user folders in...