Windows 10: Confused over SSD types

Discus and support Confused over SSD types in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Hynix H5512gd9NG-62A0A BB SSD inserted into my main laptop and I want to replace it with a new drive but am unsure of what configuration SSD I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ICIT2LOL, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Confused over SSD types

I have a Hynix H5512gd9NG-62A0A BB SSD inserted into my main laptop and I want to replace it with a new drive but am unsure of what configuration SSD I should get.

The original one looks like the one in the pic - a Samsung EVO M2 is this a standard fitting for this type of hard drive as I have Googled to see the different types but am getting more confused than ever.
    The machine has bay for a "normal" SSD (SATA) and I am wondering if I am not better off just using it instead*Confused

Any help greatly appreciated*Smile

Confused over SSD types [​IMG]

:)

ICIT2LOL, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

wed can reformatting ssd

Hello Allen,

It seems that you're SSD is in a read-only state. Read-only is the same as write-protected.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest that you follow the steps provided by Angela Pun which helped a lot of community members in this
    thread.
    Make sure to select the SSD drive.

If the issue still persists, please follow these steps on how to format a write-protected SSD using Command Prompt.

1. Press the Windows key + R. A run dialog box will open.
    2. Type CMD then press Enter.
    3. Type diskpart
    4. Type list volume
    5. Type select volume # ( # is the number of USB HDD you've plugged in)
    6. Type attributes disk clear
      read-only
    7. Type clean

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Nov 8, 2018
  3. A Monell Win User
    confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Confused over SSD types

SSD storage keeps filling up on its own

Hi Ash,

There's a possibility that the files are just hidden. As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps below on how to display hidden files that's eating space of your SSD:

• On the Search bar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives,
      and then select OK.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Confused over SSD types

1. Confused over SSD types - Similar Threads - Confused SSD types

2. Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations: I had to do a clean install of Windows 11 due to some issues. Luckily, I had things like my Pictures & Documents folders moved to a seperate physical D drive. In file Explorer I am confused about the location of my Pictures, etc., but will use the Pictures folder as the...
  3. Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confusion Over Pictures Folder Locations: I had to do a clean install of Windows 11 due to some issues. Luckily, I had things like my Pictures & Documents folders moved to a seperate physical D drive. In file Explorer I am confused about the location of my Pictures, etc., but will use the Pictures folder as the...
  4. confused about account types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    confused about account types: I have a different name and password for each device that is associated with some type of account. I don't have to sign in to my Microsoft until I have to access the store or other random times. I am denied access to some OF MY OWN files on my main computer and have trouble...
  5. confused about account types

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    confused about account types: I have a different name and password for each device that is associated with some type of account. I don't have to sign in to my Microsoft until I have to access the store or other random times. I am denied access to some OF MY OWN files on my main computer and have trouble...
  6. confused about account types

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Computer Confused over multiple backgrounds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer Confused over multiple backgrounds: I have a PC with 2 monitors, and I am using a different picture for each display. Every so often the background from my secondary display also gets applied to my main display been having this issue for years with little change. Is there a fix for this?...
  8. Confusing SSD Health Readings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confusing SSD Health Readings: Hello, I bought an ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G 256GB SSD a while back 5 months ago or so and about 2 weeks ago my PC started freaking out after moving it to another case, after long troubleshooting I concluded that it was due to the power supply but during that time I saw...
  9. confusion over activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    confusion over activation: Hello, I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. I made the ISO and did a fresh install about a week later. Microsoft activated the Fresh Install without issue. My Hard Drive crashed. I am installing a new hard drive and wish to do a fresh install. Will this activate, or...
  10. Confusion over Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confusion over Bitlocker: My Surface Pro 4 (Win10 X64 Vrs 1703) is confused about Bitlocker Disk Management indicates that the C: drive is "236.38 GB NTFS (BitLocker Encrypted)" But Control Panel>System and Security>Bitlocker Drive encryption says "Local Disk (C*Smile Bitlocker waiting for...