Windows 10: Confusion about boot drive drive lables system reserved is not C

Discus and support Confusion about boot drive drive lables system reserved is not C in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So my PC would not boot and I tried to repair the boot partition with Macrium. Here Macrium wants to know what drive is the active partition. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DonMurray, Jul 15, 2021.

1. DonMurray Win User

Confusion about boot drive drive lables system reserved is not C

So my PC would not boot and I tried to repair the boot partition with Macrium. Here Macrium wants to know what drive is the active partition. The system reserve is usually only 100 or so meg tiny thing really I am not booting to that right ? The system reserve contains the Boot manager code and the database for the drive table right ? I am booting from the larger one right or Im confused about this I chose the top one because it had it checked but im pretty sure im not booting to that one im booting to the one that's bigger that has windows 10 on it.

:)

DonMurray, Jul 15, 2021

2. Volume in drive C is reserved by system

I'm trying to access the directory of my drive C through the cmd (with administration), but instead I get "Volume in drive C is reserved by system".

I can access drive D very easily.

Any suggestions how I may access it?

RoyalPancake34, Jul 15, 2021
  3. System Reserve partition not on C: drive?

Using WIndows 10 Home...

Yesterday, while solving an unrelated problem, I noticed that the "System Reserve" partition was not on my SSD C: drive, but on my HD! If I unplug either the SSD or the HD, system will not boot, so it's using both. Is this normal? I don't remember seeing
    this before.

ChuxterChuxter, Jul 15, 2021
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Windows backup saying a drive is a system drive when it is not.

The terminology can get a little confusing. Microsoft uses the term "system" drive as the one containing the boot files. The OS drive is labeled as "Boot" drive.

A Windows 7 backup operation will backup all critical partitions. In your case, with a Legacy install, probably the System reserved partition and the OS partition. If another partition has been added by Windows, it could be involved.

As suggested, a picture would clear things up.

Saltgrass, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Confusion about boot drive drive lables system reserved is not C - Similar Threads - Confusion boot drive

2. A little confused about drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A little confused about drives.: I recently got a new laptop. Something I noticed was that my new laptop has less drives than the drives on old laptop. Is it supposed to be like this? Why does my new laptop only has local disk C, while my old laptop has DVD drive E, Recovery D, local disk C and an F drive?...
  3. A little confused about drives.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A little confused about drives.: I recently got a new laptop. Something I noticed was that my new laptop has less drives than the drives on old laptop. Is it supposed to be like this? Why does my new laptop only has local disk C, while my old laptop has DVD drive E, Recovery D, local disk C and an F drive?...
  4. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  5. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  6. Laptop confused about what drives are connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop confused about what drives are connected: Winver Version 1903 (05 Build 18362.1139) I have a decade-old Toshiba laptop with optical drive, eSATAp, and express card. I replace the optical drive with an HDD in a caddy and attach another 2.5" HDD to the eSATAp, and all three drives work fine. Then I shut down the...
  7. Volume in drive C is reserved by system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume in drive C is reserved by system: I'm trying to access the directory of my drive C through the cmd (with administration), but instead I get "Volume in drive C is reserved by system". I can access drive D very easily. Any suggestions how I may access it?...
  8. System Reserved on drive other than C.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Reserved on drive other than C.: Hi all, Just installed windows from a usb on to a computer I just built and was just about to stripe two drives together, however one of the drives has a System Reserved partition so I cannot do this. Why did the partition go to that drive and not my C drive? Can I move...
  9. Confused about One Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Confused about One Drive: I find in my Start / Programs list [the dates are from the respective Properties displays]: Microsoft One Drive (4/6/2016) Microsoft One Drive (1) (9/20/2015) Further down I see One Drive (11/14/2018), which apparently I have just installed by clicking on Microsoft One...
  10. A question about file systems on C drive partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A question about file systems on C drive partitions: A while back I was surprised to see 13 partitions on the C drive of my small hybrid device, but I was devised it was not uncommon or a problem. I have just noticed (using Speccy) that some partitions have NTFS while others have FAT and FAT 32. I was expecting them to be all...