Windows 10: Confusion about two different pathways for sasme document?

Discus and support Confusion about two different pathways for sasme document? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently got a new computer (HP Envy 750) that came with Windows 10H. With an external drive, I had backed up stuff from my browser, email client and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flycaster, Jan 9, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Confusion about two different pathways for sasme document?

I recently got a new computer (HP Envy 750) that came with Windows 10H. With an external drive, I had backed up stuff from my browser, email client and documents that was on a crashed windows 10 that had updated windows 7, and then transferred to the new computer. I am finding the present filing system pathways to be confusing in that stuff I save to Documents appears in two places under different pathways. I'd like to either correct this or understand what is happening, and if possible, just have one pathway to deal with. Here's an example of what is confusing me: When searching for a file that has been saved to Documents, it has two pathways. One pathway is "This PC>Documents>the file" and the other pathway is "This PC>Windows(C*Smile>Users>adam9>Documents>the file." I an used to just one pathway.

:)

flycaster, Jan 9, 2016

2. How do I set up an ad-hoc WiFi network in Windows 10?

this was VERY confusing. I was following the instructions step-by-step, but was never given the opportunity to change the network name or passkey .

This did not work for me. If you or anybody else has a different idea or pathway, I would be open to it.

deltamarch, Jan 9, 2016
  3. mpwc741 Win User
    unable to invoke upgrade dialog box from System

No. The pathways to perform an upgrade to Pro appear to be broken in some manner, and at this time, because the two of the pathways are broken, I am not purchasing the upgrade. When all of the pathways function as they should, I will consider making the
    purchase.

Just because one of the pathways appears to function does not mean to me that actually performing an upgrade attempt would be successful.

mpwc741, Jan 9, 2016
  4. dysert Win User

Personally, I don't trust the links under "This PC". Instead, I put my most-frequently accessed folders up under what used to be "Favorites" (sorry, I don't remember what it's called in Win10). If I need to go after a folder not in "Favorites", I navigate from C:\Users.

dysert, Jan 9, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    My personal thought is that Libraries is more or less shortcuts to the actual files located in C:\Users\username\.

Berton, Jan 9, 2016
  6. AndreyT Win User
    Firstly, apparently you are referring to "pathways" you see in File Explorer. The first one you mention is just a GUI-level simulated "shortcut" that exist there to make it easier for you to access your documents. It leads to the same physical location, just makes it shorter. (You don't have to go through you entire folder sequence under 'Users')

Secondly, modern file systems (like Windows's NTFS) support so called links (symbolic links, hard links) at file system level. One effect of such links is that they create multiple pathways that lead to the same storage location. In addition to that Windows has always supported so called shortcuts, which are basically a limited implementation of links.

In other words, there's nothing remarkable or unusual in having multiple "pathways" that lead to the same physical storage location in a modern OS. It has been lake that for a long while already. Get used to it and take advantage of it.

AndreyT, Jan 9, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    They are the same place.

If you right click on Documents > Properties > Location you will see that the location for your documents is "C:\Users\Adam9\Documents".

So unless you change the location the two will be the same.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Confusion about two different pathways for sasme document? - Similar Threads - Confusion different pathways

2. Confused about Explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confused about Explorer.exe: When I open Task manger and switch to system Process I saw explorer.exe. What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-about-explorerexe/ca36a691-3b45-4935-9033-bc50482b3ccf
  3. Confusing documentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confusing documentation: Trying to customize the task barSo which one of these two is correct?https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarThat one is newer, has an image of what I am trying to do remove all but Start, Search, and Task VeiwOr this...
  4. Confusing documentation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confusing documentation: Trying to customize the task barSo which one of these two is correct?https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarThat one is newer, has an image of what I am trying to do remove all but Start, Search, and Task VeiwOr this...
  5. Confusing documentation

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Confused by different document folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused by different document folders: Hi, What is the difference between the document folder with a beige folder icon and the one with a page with a large 'A' and lines? Which one should I use to save my documents? Thanks, Candice document icon image.pdf Windows 10 Home, Version -10.0.19041 Build 19041 171987
  7. Confused about Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about Updates: Hi, I've spent a few hours this morning trying to update Windows then furiously back-peddle after reading horror stories online - throw in a Repairing Disc Errors screen... you get the idea. But I'm confused about what I should do now. Under Windows Update I have: Feature...
  8. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.: I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I looked at what was on the drive. All the correct folders were there, but Documents had nothing in it, only a desktop.ini file....
  9. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...
  10. Confused about OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about OneDrive: First post, as a newcomer to Win 10 after 15 years with XP (and all previous Windows OS versions). On this page Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10 I'm reading an explanation of OneDrive: "While you can always choose where to save files that you create,...