Windows 10: Confusion about where xml file should be placed and how its used

Discus and support Confusion about where xml file should be placed and how its used in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Every Sunday I create a full image of my SSD, onto an external HD, and I keep 2 months worth of SSD images on it Every time an image is created, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by C0zzie, Mar 11, 2018.

1. C0zzie Win User

Confusion about where xml file should be placed and how its used

Every Sunday I create a full image of my SSD, onto an external HD, and I keep 2 months worth of SSD images on it

Every time an image is created, it stores a .xml file in Documents>'Reflect.
    I think the xml file is the image backup but as a document also...or something like that? An explanation of this would help..

'SSD Image on external HD, xml file on PC'. If I do need to restore, do I not need the xml file on the external HD also so it recognises the ssd image as well as the xml file to go with it? How does that part work?

:)

C0zzie, Mar 11, 2018

2. Installing Windows 10 Version 1709

More in human form, you can check XML where is better error description, its in c:\Windows\Panther\NewOs\Panther\

Name of xml file is CompatData - look for last one - by file timestamp.

Here is at least name of problematic *.exe file.

Other megastupid thing is that is searching in all mounted partions and drivers.. - Dirty MS.

To find where find is just use Total Commander File search..

Ruthaniel van den Naar, Mar 11, 2018
  3. Do Microsoft provide a method to find the latest Windows 10 version through a CLI?

Read the FAQ? Its XML is expanded after its .cab file is downloaded.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40004566/reading-xml-content-of-package-xml-file-from-wsusscn2-cab

(BING search for

mbsa xml Wsusscn2

)

However, you will have to decide how appropriate this mechanism is for W10. I have not kept up with it. Here's someone explaining how it works for them (at least with the W10 AU).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/microsoft-baseline-security-analyzer-mbsa-for/507bcb52-63e3-4712-b494-ef74c395d8c6

(BING search for

mbsa.2.3 xml Wsusscn2 windows.10 site:microsoft.com

)

FYI

Robert

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Mar 11, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

It appears that the xml definition file contains the instructions for creating a backup, not for restoring one. From the user guide:

http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v...user_guide.pdf

5. MR allows you to define multiple backup setups and they are saved in the xml files. I have several defined where I know that I will be using it again. ie "Full_Backup_1", "Inc_Backup_1", "Net_Backup", etc. Each one has a specific purpose. When I need to run one again, I select the XML file and run it. Works really good for batch files !

storageman, Mar 11, 2018
  6. C0zzie Win User
    So I dont need the xml file on my external hd with the ssd images?
    Its ok that, xml is on my PC>Documents, and the SSD images are on my external HD?
    I presume I need to keep the xml files?

C0zzie, Mar 12, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    The PC is the right place to keep the xml - it's purpose is to let you easily run another backup using the same settings. You only need to keep the xml if you want to take advantage of that.

8. f14tomcat Win User

They are all in a folder named REFLECT, in Documents. Correct place. MR defaults to storing and looking there. If you ever have to re-install MR, you can copy back that folder from a backup and all your definitions will be there for you to add back in.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2018
  9. C0zzie Win User
    So I pretty much do the same image backup each week; A full image of my SSD only
    It has created 'My Backup(23).xml, so thats 23 times. I just keep going the same thing and it will create more xml files?

C0zzie, Mar 12, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    If you check the directory you'll be able to see what's there. Here's mine which shows only one entry per defined backup:

Confusion about where xml file should be placed and how its used [​IMG]

As you can see, those files are pretty small (9 or 10K each). Even if you have 23 of them, that's still only 230K max.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 12, 2018
  11. Since your doing the same backup every time, try this. After launching MR, Select the "backup Definition Files" tab and that will list all of the xml files that you have. Then highlight the definition file you want to run and run it. See the picture below.

storageman, Mar 12, 2018
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, it sounds like you are going thru the "create" phase each time, or copying the definition each time,so MR is appending (20-21-22-23-etc.) each time. Not necessary, just do what @storageman says. Right click the definition xml and all your choices are there.

f14tomcat, Mar 13, 2018
  13. C0zzie Win User

Ahhh cant believe its taken me this long to finally understand it. So every Sunday when I create the SSD image onto the external HD:

Instead of always clicking create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows, I just click the latest xml file (My Backup(23) ) in backup definition files and it will literally create the same 'configuration settings' that I always use? Which is Full image, with some comments

So is there a point in keeping the old xml files? They are all the same config settings anyway; full backup with some comments.

C0zzie, Mar 14, 2018
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Only one of them suffices as they're all identical in this case.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 14, 2018
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    You're correct, but it's not creating anything else, just using what you already created. Right click it and choose which type of backup you want. *Smile

The "Prompt" will allow you to add/edit your comments, too, and choose which type.

Confusion about where xml file should be placed and how its used [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Confusion about where xml file should be placed and how its used - Similar Threads - Confusion where xml

2. confused about onedrive files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    confused about onedrive files: Hello,I am just confused about OneDrive files. I don't understand if they are also on my pc or not. I am including the storage screen shot and see if anyone can figure it out. To me it looks like they are taking space on the pc. Am I wrong? and if that is so what could I...
  3. confused about onedrive files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    confused about onedrive files: Hello,I am just confused about OneDrive files. I don't understand if they are also on my pc or not. I am including the storage screen shot and see if anyone can figure it out. To me it looks like they are taking space on the pc. Am I wrong? and if that is so what could I...
  4. There is some confusion about the terms of use

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    There is some confusion about the terms of use: I have read the Microsoft software license terms of the Microsoft visual studio community 2019 and other products. which have some points in common But it is still very ambiguous. in the decision to use the product For this reason, I would like to ask Microsoft teams if...
  5. image pops up in place of where other images should be

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    image pops up in place of where other images should be: [ATTACH] the image above pops up a bunch in apps and even on google sheets and other websites, just wondering what it is and if I can fix it(the screenshot was taken from steam). submitted by /u/SepticDiabetus [link] [comments]...
  6. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  7. how to convert the txt file into xml file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to convert the txt file into xml file: I have used the application for conversion txt into xml file but when I convert it is showing an error that is something called as no program to convert it what should I do for conversion .But I know that it is silly question but it is part of my seeking the knowledge...
  8. Question about a file in two places... or not.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about a file in two places... or not.: I've always assumed that any Windows file can be in two folder locations at the same time using the same file name, but I just noticed something strange and wonder what's going on. If I send an email message using my Windows Live Mail client and attached a Word .doc file,...
  9. Confused about the ISO file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Confused about the ISO file?: Hi, I've recently been trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have tried to use the installer provided by Microsoft but the installer hangs on Checking For Updates. This doesn't end and I cannot pass it. I cannot use windows update to get the update as it just...
  10. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Where is XML files placed