Windows 10: confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade

Discus and support confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I ran through the Msft docs for updating from WSL1 to WSL2, including updating the WSL2 linux kernel. No problems, worked just like the guide.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SolderFace, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:22 PM.

1. confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade

I ran through the Msft docs for updating from WSL1 to WSL2, including updating the WSL2 linux kernel. No problems, worked just like the guide.

Then I ran into this strangeness. If I open Powershell and type bash, and type wsl.exe -l -v, it says Ubuntu, Running 2.

If I open the Ubuntu app from the store, it says Ubuntu, Running 1.

Why are they different?

And one more thing... in the wsl2 powershell/bash window, if I type explorer.exe I get the \\wsl$\Ubuntu\home\me directory. If I put files in there they do not appear in the wsl2 home directory! Talk about catch-22. I finally get a wsl2 window running and I cant put my files in it. If you look at the dates of the .bashrc and other stuff, they are different in both windows. Different locations. Explorer shows the wsl1 directory, but not the other.

I hope you get my dilemma and can help, thanks.

confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade [​IMG]

:)

2. Brink Win User

WSL2 will be generally available in Windows 10 version 2004

Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...-version-2004/

3. jimbo45 Win User
    New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 18980 (20H1) - Sept. 11 Insider

Hi folks

WSL2 breaks running any GUI programs you had working with WSL1 -- seen some suggestions on Google but I'll wait until some more people have played with it -- seems there's a problem with accessing the display properly due to generated IP addresses -- but I'm not fiddling with that any more.

Running Ubuntu LTS on WSL1 with lightweight LXDE desktop works - some GUI programs run as they do if you install the KDE desktop.

WSL2 breaks the whole kybosh -- but for running command line scripts and non GUI executables it seems fine (WSL2) . You need to install an X-server on windows and use the XLaunch icon on your desktop before starting the Linux GUI -- also you'll need to export DISPLAY=0:0 before using your command on wsl to launch the GUI e.g startlxde. (Lxde is s super dooper lightweight desktop gui which is good for testing if the thing works --you can install more heavyweight stuff once you've got the X-Server working properly.

OK WSL isn't meant to be a complete Linux desktop distro or a fully endowed virtual machine - but what's wrong in testing these things to their limits !!!!

What is nice is you can reset or switch your Linux distro to WSL1 or WSL2 back and forth without having to re-install your distro -- you can also set the default WSL level -- I'd keep the default at 1 until WSL2 is a bit more commonly used -- most things (non GUI) that work on WSL1 will probably work on WSL2 -- file manager is good on WSL2 and you can natively access Linux file systems (with long file names too !!!!!) over a LAN or even attached to the Windows machine. The Windows machine is simply another server as far as WSL2 is concerned.

Cheers
    jimbo

4. confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade

Bill Smithers, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:25 PM
Thema:

confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade

1. confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade - Similar Threads - confusion WSL1 WSL2

2. Weird SSH issue with WSL2 and WSL1

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird SSH issue with WSL2 and WSL1: Hello all, So this is something that has been bugging me for a while now. I have this situation where I connect using SSH: My_Computer --SSH-> ServerA --SSH-> ServerB The connection to ServerA is done with public key auth, and the connection from ServerA to ServerB is...
  3. WSL2 & VMWare compatibility issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL2 & VMWare compatibility issues: After upgrading to WSL2 (which seems to enable Hyper-V features through the "Virtual Machine Platform" features, even if "Windows Hypervisor Platform" is left unchecked), I haven't been able to run VMWare, getting the error "VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are...
  4. WSL2 slow performance

WSL2 slow performance: Hey guys, I just came over from the dark side (Mac) after a few years and I thought that WSL2 should be a lot faster but it's still performing slow. I.e. committing to git takes 3-4 seconds. Building a React App takes ~60 seconds (~50% longer than on my Mac). Is that normal...
  5. WSL2 ip bridge to windows

WSL2 ip bridge to windows: I wonder Is it possible to ip forward WSL2 ip to windows host, for example apache having multiple ip's would be accessible from linux machine, in wsl - wget would resolve to it, but on windows you can only access localhost to send the request to wsl. Is there something...
  6. WSL2 100% cpu

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSL2 100% cpu: I have fully set up ubuntu bash on windows 10 1909. This issue has only happened after installing update KB45335996. When I open ubuntu bash I have tried typing bash, new windows terminal and searching from start menu. When I open it it is an empty shell, no commands work....
  7. Confusing partition after upgrade from Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confusing partition after upgrade from Win 7 to win 10: hi.. I Need advice about the partition after i upgrade from win 7 to win 10. i have some issue : 1. there is a disk "System ReservedH" in my drives list, i cant delete it because it used for boot the pc. I search info that i can hide it with remove the drive letter. is it...
  8. confused

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    confused: when changing the lock screen to a photo how do I make it fit the screen, the way its showing now is way to big, it's like it's been zoomed in really bad!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused/3aff399e-8a74-4911-afbb-93d3d840671f
  9. confused..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    confused..: windows 10 has updated my computer as normal, I have had windows 10 since it started but this time my pictures, documents email & calender, I don't understand why they have done this to a lot of my files. Why, when they haven't any other time. I'm not sure which topic to...
  10. Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion: So when I upgraded initiall my desktop was replaced with a default Windows 10 background and some default apps. At first I freaked out thinking all my files were gone, but when I went to C:/Users/name/Desktop all my stuff was still there so I just dragged it out onto this...