Windows 10: Connect a line level audio feed to laptop headset connector

Discus and support Connect a line level audio feed to laptop headset connector in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Am I right in thinking there is a microphone input available on the headset 3.5mm jack on a laptop? If so, I would like to feed in a line level signal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by keithjr, Jul 25, 2020.

1. keithjr Win User

Connect a line level audio feed to laptop headset connector

Am I right in thinking there is a microphone input available on the headset 3.5mm jack on a laptop?

If so, I would like to feed in a line level signal which I understand is at a much higher level, so some adjustment would be needed.

This link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7i6LJs3b6E suggests its possible but I am unconvinced.

Also do I need a TRRS plug to go into the laptop in order to access the mic input?

:)

keithjr, Jul 25, 2020

2. Headset mic not working only in Windows 10 ASUS ROG laptop

This is not the common "I plugged the mic in the headphones jack" error (sadly), I'll describe the scenario and then what I've tried.

• ASUS ROG G750JW laptop running Windows 10 Home version 1903 (updated yesterday)
    • HyperX (Kingston) CLOUD HX-HSCL-SR/NA headset
    • RealTek High Definition Audio card
    • 2 input jacks (headphones and microphone)

Problem: Only the integrated laptop mic seems to work (and it works fine), as soon as I plug in the headset mic absolute silence is present. Tried this:

• use the headset in another computer (ubuntu, 2 connectors) and phone (iOS, 1 connector), it works perfect
    • plug just the headphone and use the integrated laptop mic, it works fine (skype, zoom, chrome, etc)
    • updated audio drivers manually using Driver Easy, no luck
    • updated Windows, no luck
    • allow all apps to use mic (from audio settings), no luck
    • using "Stereo Mix", no luck
    • basically all items from this link, no luck

Interesting:

• the mic jack seems to work since each time I connect it a dialog appears telling me I just connected something
    • VirtualBox is installed and it doesn't works there neither (ubuntu vm), disabled audio from all vm's in case there was a conflict and guess what, no luck
    • when pluggin/unpluggin the mic I can see the sound level indicator bars move briefly (the green bars in device management, in mic properties)

Thanks.

Felipe Pereira, Jul 25, 2020
  3. NK#
    NK# Win User
    I can connect my headset to microphone connector bt I cant record voice..

My laptop has two connectors at left side one is for speaker and other one is for microphone, I can listen voice when I connect my headset to speker coneector bt I cant record audio when I connect my headset to microphone connector..it shows notifications
    that it connected to device bt it can't works..so what should I do to solve this problem..

4. BizBurns Win User

Audio Levels Dropping

My audio levels drop after two seconds to barely audible. I have restarted, ran the troubleshooter, scanned for problems, keeps telling me everything is fine. It seems to fix it for a minute, then the problem arises again. It doesn't matter what format/app/feed
    I use, problem is consistent.

Earbuds work fine, levels maintain.

Any suggestions?

BizBurns, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Connect a line level audio feed to laptop headset connector - Similar Threads - Connect line level

2. Line level audio not accepted as a "microphone" input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Line level audio not accepted as a "microphone" input: I have an application that wants live speech input from a microphone.My system setup includes a preamp that raises the output of a headset microphone to standard line level.The program is looking only for a "microphone" input, and can not see my line level as an input.How can...
  3. Line level audio not accepted as a "microphone" input

in Windows 10 Customization
    Line level audio not accepted as a "microphone" input: I have an application that wants live speech input from a microphone.My system setup includes a preamp that raises the output of a headset microphone to standard line level.The program is looking only for a "microphone" input, and can not see my line level as an input.How can...
  4. Line level audio not accepted as a "microphone" input

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Audio Jack in my laptop isn't detecting Mic, Headset, Line in, Speaker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Jack in my laptop isn't detecting Mic, Headset, Line in, Speaker: How do I show the notification on my laptop every time I plug in an audio device? For some reason, the audio jack is constantly set to receive it as a headphone input, and I wish to be able to choose other options such as mic, headset, line in, and speaker....
  6. Headset audio feeds into microhphone

Headset audio feeds into microhphone: It's hard to explain but anything I hear feeds into my mic and whenever I am in a call with friends it creates an infinite loop which is very annoying.[ATTACH]<- Headphones audio at max playing music [ATTACH]<- headset mic picking up audio without me talking or making noise....
  7. Audio levels with bluetooth headsets

Audio levels with bluetooth headsets: Hi, I am using a pair of bluetooth headphones and wanted to know if there was a way to add audio inputs such as mic in or line in to the levels tab of the headphones. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] The inputs appear for speakers and wired headsets but not for bluetooth...
  8. Headset usb controller volume not synced with pc audio level

in Windows 10 Customization
    Headset usb controller volume not synced with pc audio level: The audio volume that is coming from my headset isnt the same as what my computer says it is. It is able to go lower that 0%, which makes it so if i start raising the volume, i dont start hearing anything until maybe 50% and then it doesnt get to full volume unless i hold it...
  9. Samsung level U headset bluetooth connectivity

Samsung level U headset bluetooth connectivity: Hi Team, I am able to connect all other devices to my HP laptop widows 10 device except Samsung Level U headset. Similarly I can connect Samsung level U headset with all other devices except HP windows 10 laptop. Could you please advice what could be the issue? Thanks,...
  10. telnet carriage return (with no line feed)

in Windows 10 Support
    telnet carriage return (with no line feed): I'm using a windows 10 machine and running putty on it to telnet into a video switcher. The video switcher accepts SIS commands and one of the commands is ECI with a carriage return needed at the end of it - with no line feed. I don't really understand how a carriage return...