Windows 10: "connect automatically" turning itself back on instantly on "unknown network" resulting in...

Discus and support "connect automatically" turning itself back on instantly on "unknown network" resulting in... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I noticed my wifi kept shutting itself off after about 10 seconds of connecting. I looked in my list and noticed an unknown network set to connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Unamused-Avacado, Feb 24, 2020.

1. "connect automatically" turning itself back on instantly on "unknown network" resulting in...

I noticed my wifi kept shutting itself off after about 10 seconds of connecting. I looked in my list and noticed an unknown network set to connect automatically. As soon as I connect to my wifi, the other one hijacks it and disconnects it from my wifi.

I obviously tried unchecking it, it turns itself back on instantly. Also went into known networks to forget it, and it's not listed there.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Quite annoying. Thanks

submitted by /u/Unamused-Avacado
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Unamused-Avacado, Feb 24, 2020
  2. dbrister Win User

Device attempts to connect to all UNKNOWN and KNOWN networks within range via "connect automatically"

Hi Jon,

I checked the registry values you suggested and the only network listed under the profiles is my home network.

The issue appears to be a misunderstanding on my part of how the connect automatically feature is written for the GUI.

It seems the "connect automatically" box is checked by default for all password protected networks to save clicks on the users end.

I may have a different unknown issue as to why I am having issues automatically connecting to my home network.

Thank you very much for your response.

dbrister, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Jenefer G Win User
    Unknown networks

I have no 'forget' option. They are not known networks, so I can't manage them. They are listed when I select which network of mine I want to connect to, but there are 8-10 unknown networks that aren't mine. They are all checked with 'connect automatically'.
    How can I remove these unknown networks from my list?

Jenefer G, Feb 24, 2020
  4. johnny234 Win User

"connect automatically" turning itself back on instantly on "unknown network" resulting in...

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

"connect automatically" turning itself back on instantly on "unknown network" resulting in...

1. "connect automatically" turning itself back on instantly on "unknown network" resulting in... - Similar Threads - connect automatically turning

2. Snap Windows automatically turns itself back on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap Windows automatically turns itself back on: I unwillingly upgraded to Windows 11 and somehow my restore points got deleted over night, and I can't go back to Windows 10. Anyways I am trying to accomplish the following:- Keep snap windows off- Able to drag and move full screen windows- Stop auto-resizing.So I turned off...
  3. Snap Windows automatically turns itself back on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snap Windows automatically turns itself back on: I unwillingly upgraded to Windows 11 and somehow my restore points got deleted over night, and I can't go back to Windows 10. Anyways I am trying to accomplish the following:- Keep snap windows off- Able to drag and move full screen windows- Stop auto-resizing.So I turned off...
  4. Wifi auto connect turns itself back on for EVERY GD NETWORK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi auto connect turns itself back on for EVERY GD NETWORK: this is infuriating and microsoft is no help. the "SuPpOrT" number says ask the website, and all the website does is show me how to connect to a network. can someone here please help me with this asinine windows feature?...
  5. Wifi auto connect turns itself back on for EVERY GD NETWORK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi auto connect turns itself back on for EVERY GD NETWORK: this is infuriating and microsoft is no help. the "SuPpOrT" number says ask the website, and all the website does is show me how to connect to a network. can someone here please help me with this asinine windows feature?...
  6. Wifi auto connect turns itself back on for EVERY GD NETWORK

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. HP laptop connected automatically to an unknown network

HP laptop connected automatically to an unknown network: I have a HP laptop that is connected automatically to an unknown network. The unknown net work has set up parental controls. Laptop,phones, Ruku, Xbox , everything! I need help! I already did F11 restart and found my system32 in my x drive. Needless to say it didn’t work....
  8. Cannot disable "Connect automatically" for unknown networks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot disable "Connect automatically" for unknown networks: [ATTACH] These are networks I've never connected to, and never want to. However they always appear with that checkmark ticked. If I untick, it just ticks it back. Ironically, my own network is never ticked (and if I tick it, it automatically unticks). This feels like a bug...
  9. "Connect automatically when in range" turns itself ON repeatedly

"Connect automatically when in range" turns itself ON repeatedly: I rarely need to be online Windows updates being the frequent exception. My main computer is used extensively for photo-editing. I prefer Windows 10 NOT to "Connect automatically when in range". But the "OFF "setting repeatedly turns itself on. This has happened scores of...
  10. WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WiFi attempts to automatically connect to unknown networks: I've seen other people ask this same exact question as far back as 2013 and it appears Microsoft are well aware of thissecurity flaw and have no interest in addressing it as I've yet to find a response which resolves this. Many replies don't even appear to comprehend the...