Windows 10: "Connect automatically when in range" turns itself ON repeatedly

Discus and support "Connect automatically when in range" turns itself ON repeatedly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I rarely need to be online Windows updates being the frequent exception. My main computer is used extensively for photo-editing. I prefer Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SGWNI, Mar 18, 2021.

1. SGWNI Win User

"Connect automatically when in range" turns itself ON repeatedly

I rarely need to be online Windows updates being the frequent exception. My main computer is used extensively for photo-editing.

I prefer Windows 10 NOT to "Connect automatically when in range".

But the "OFF "setting repeatedly turns itself on. This has happened scores of times over several months. Why? It's frustrating.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it,

Sam

"Connect automatically when in range" turns itself ON repeatedly 36537329-1fab-4437-906c-93bf1c0b5a9f?upload=true.jpg

:)

SGWNI, Mar 18, 2021

2. Connect automatically when in range

Hi,

There are several ways to switch off the Connect automatically when in range
    option, such as through the Control Panel,
    Command Prompt
    or through Settings. For us to isolate the issue, we would like to ask the following questions:

• When was the last time that this option worked properly?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What Windows version and build number do you have?
    • How did you set the Connect automatically when in range option to off? Is it through Control Panel, Command Prompt or Settings?
    • Can you provide the
      screenshot
      that you have taken?

In the meantime, you can check this methods on how to switch off the Connect automatically when in range option:

Method 1: Through Settings.

• Open Settings.
    • Click on Network & Internet.
    • Click on Wi-Fi on the left pane.
    • On the right pane, click on the network name.
    • Toggle the Connect automatically when in range option to off.

Method 2: Through Control Panel.

• Press Windows key +
      Rto open Run
    • Type ncpa.cpl, and then click on OK to open
      Network Connections window.
    • Click on the wireless network.
    • Click on the Wireless Properties button.
    • Uncheck the Connect automatically when this network is in range option.
    • Click on OK button.

Method 3: Through Command Prompt.

• Click on Start.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on the Command Prompt from the search results.
    • Select Run as Administrator.
    • Enter this command: netsh wlan show profiles
    • Press Enter, and make note of the wireless profile name that you want to disable the automatic connection.
    • Enter this command: netsh wlan show profile "name"
    • Press Enter, and see if the Connection
      mode of this wireless network is currently set to Connect
      automatically or Connect
      manually.
    • Enter this command: netsh wlan set profileparameter name="name" connectionmode=manual.
    • Close the Command Prompt window.

We look forward for your response.

Janeane Cru, Mar 18, 2021
  3. chileno74 Win User
    Connect automatically when in range

Ok, thanks.

The first one is through Settings and we know I have a problem there.

The second one has the box cleared in properties...

The third one show to connect manually.

As to the questions:

• When was the last time that this option worked properly?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What Windows version and build number do you have?
    • How did you set the Connect automatically when in range option to off? Is it through Control Panel, Command Prompt or Settings?

It has been acting like that for a long time and recently I did a complete clean install. Once I did that it did work OK for a couple of days but it stopped again.

I have always set that option through Settings.

TIA

chileno74, Mar 18, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

WiFi not automatically disconnecting when out of range

Gunnart,

I had a similar refusal to disconnect from a WiFi profile and I solved it.
    - In my particular case, the unwanted network was still in range so I cannot say for certain that my symptoms were exactly the same as yours but they were certainly consistent with yours.
    - The solution is not a destructive one so I do suggest you try it.

1 I turned WiFi off then repeated the fairly standard step of removing existing WiFi profiles - Settings, Networks, WiFi, Manage known networks, <select each one in turn>, Forget. Arguably, I could have just done this for the problem network but I was probably not thinking straight at the time.

2 I then opened RegEdit, went to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
    and deleted every subkey that referred to a WiFi network profile. Again, arguably, I could just have deleted all those that referred to the problem network.

3 I then turned WiFi back on and started from scratch detecting then connecting to the networks I wanted to use. There has been no repetition of the problem.

Some further commentary
    A I had changed my internet connection device but had re-used the same network name on the new one.
    B There were no strange entries in the list in Settings [step 1 above] & I quite wrongly thought that forgetting them represented a complete clearout.
    C When I looked the Registry key [my step 2 above], I found that there were two subkeys with the relevant network name in the Description line.
    - In one case, the same network name was repeated in the ProfileName line
    - But the other entry contained a Profilename entry that had the expected network name with a suffix [2] after it.
    - So my re-use of the name had been identified by Windows after all [I had just been trying to reduce the number of changes I had to work through when I swapped devices and had not thought there could be side-effects].

Best of luck,
    Denis

Thema:

1. "Connect automatically when in range" turns itself ON repeatedly - Similar Threads - Connect automatically range

2. WiFi often disconnecting and unchecking "connect automatically when in range"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi often disconnecting and unchecking "connect automatically when in range"?: I have moved to a new rental property with a new WiFi network and have only experienced this issue here.When I start my PC, it does not automatically connect to the WiFi. I always check the "connect automatically" option, but it is always unchecked on reboot. The other issue...
  3. WiFi often disconnecting and unchecking "connect automatically when in range"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi often disconnecting and unchecking "connect automatically when in range"?: I have moved to a new rental property with a new WiFi network and have only experienced this issue here.When I start my PC, it does not automatically connect to the WiFi. I always check the "connect automatically" option, but it is always unchecked on reboot. The other issue...
  4. how to keep turning on the "connect automatically when in range" button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to keep turning on the "connect automatically when in range" button?: english is not my first language, sorry for the mess. I have a problem where I cannot auto connect to my wifi. it actually happened after I update to windows 11 from windows 10. Already checked the connect automatically when in range button, close the tab, the checked keep...
  5. how to keep turning on the "connect automatically when in range" button?

how to keep turning on the "connect automatically when in range" button?: english is not my first language, sorry for the mess. I have a problem where I cannot auto connect to my wifi. it actually happened after I update to windows 11 from windows 10. Already checked the connect automatically when in range button, close the tab, the checked keep...
  6. connect when in range button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    connect when in range button: The "connect when in range button" for my preferred network keeps toggling off. Don't know why but I am continuously having to toggle back on, only having off the next time I boot up....
  7. connect when in range button

connect when in range button: The "connect when in range button" for my preferred network keeps toggling off. Don't know why but I am continuously having to toggle back on, only having off the next time I boot up....
  8. connect when in range button

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Automatic repair repeats itself again and again?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic repair repeats itself again and again?: Hello, i have a problem with my pc when i start it the process (which i will describe in a moment) repeats itself a few times and then the screen is black. First comes the (that always comes when you start the pc. [ATTACH] Then comes the [ATTACH]...
  10. Automatic Updates automatically turns itself off when I try to turn it on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic Updates automatically turns itself off when I try to turn it on: I've been trying to turn on Auto Updates on my laptop (using Windows 10) but when I click to turn it on, it will literally just default back to off seconds after I turn it on. Highly unusual, I've never had this happen on any laptop or PC I've had before, be it Windows 10 or...