Windows 10: connect hdd ssd to computer

Discus and support connect hdd ssd to computer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; computer: computer has a hdd item: a 2nd hdd how: to connect a 2nd hdd externally to a computer ? needs: what do you need? like what cable?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by helpfixcomputer, Nov 30, 2020.

1. connect hdd ssd to computer

computer: computer has a hdd

item: a 2nd hdd

how: to connect a 2nd hdd externally to a computer ?

needs: what do you need? like what cable? everything else what do you need? pls link what is needed on amazon so we can understand what is needed

this is item, a regular hdd: Hard disk drive - Wikipedia

it's not an external hdd, it's just a regular laptop internal hdd

how do we know what are the names of the connector in the regular hdd?
    for example the name of the connector labeled on the drive itself would be helpful

is there a chart anywhere?

all the same questions also for ssd

:)

helpfixcomputer, Nov 30, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected

The first question is, will the computer boot from the SSD with the HDD disconnected. If the answer to that is yes, then what you will need to do is:
    Reconnect the hard drive
    Boot from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive (or DVD)
    At the very first Windows setup screen, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt
    Run:
    Code:
    Then remove the USB flash drive and reboot the computer and you should be good to go. If your new Data drive does not show up in file explorer, then you may have to assign it a drive letter in disk management.

The next step would be to copy your data back to the HDD, and then after that just delete the extra partition on the SSD and resize the Windows partition.

If you need me to, I can create a VM on my computer with two drives and show you the command line steps as they would really look.

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    HDD to SSD

I don't understand why you changed the boot order in your BIOS.

When you image or clone an HDD, and restore the image or clone to an SSD, you've got an identical copy of your computer on a different hard drive. Nothing has changed, really. So the next step is to remove the HDD from your computer and replace it with the
    SSD, then carry on as normal.

BulldogXX, Nov 30, 2020
  4. connect hdd ssd to computer

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

connect hdd ssd to computer

1. connect hdd ssd to computer - Similar Threads - connect hdd ssd

2. Ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd to hdd: I recently purchased a new ssd for my PC but realised the secondary slot doesn't support it gen 4. My current ssd is gen 3 and is supported by the secondary slot. However my OS and things are installed on it. If I installed the new one and moved the old to slot 2, would that...
  3. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  4. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  5. HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected: Hello everyone, I am new here and hope I am posting in the right place *Biggrin So two days ago I received my first SSD (a Crucial P1 1TB) and I wanted to make it my main drive for heavy programs and have my old HDD as extra storage. The way I wanted to proceed for...
  6. Can't boot SSD without HDD connected

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot SSD without HDD connected: In my desktop i7 machine, Windows 10 1909: I just bought an SSD and then cloned my C: hard drive to the SSD. The SSD boots (very fast) and functions perfectly - only if I have the HDD also connected. It won't boot on the SSD alone, I get a 'PC needs repair' message. (If I...
  7. SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD and HDD: I just purchased a new PC with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Why can't I install some apps on the HDD? They state that they need to be installed on a system drive. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you...
  8. hdd to ssd on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdd to ssd on new computer: Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method...
  9. ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715
  10. Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?: Hey everyone, Just wanted to get a feel on this before i dig into it. I have a dell laptop (school) that i got a SSD for. I also have a clevo laptop at home (main computer), and it has two 2.5" driver bays. Could i install my current dell HDD and the new SSD into the clevo...