Windows 10: Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade

Discus and support Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have some desktop computers connected to a router via lan cables and these can see each other. My laptop is connected to the same router via wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Parent1of3, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade

I have some desktop computers connected to a router via lan cables and these can see each other. My laptop is connected to the same router via wifi but this does not connect. When homegroup existed the homegroup was called "HOME1" and the network that the desktops are on is shown as this. My laptop did connect to this as this was the name of the homegroup. But after the recent upgrade it shows it as connected to a network that is the name of the wifi SSID and not the same network as the other desktop pc's. I am not sure if this is the issues. Even though they go through the same router, they can't see each other. Why was homegroup removed? How can I get the desktop to see the files on the laptop and vise verse?

:)

Parent1of3, Jul 17, 2018
  2. karyeowl Win User

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Jul 17, 2018
  3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

Try the above, post back how it went.

4. Pinchy Win User

Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade

share internet connection in pc desktop &laptop

Operating systems on each computer?

If the desktop has two ethernet connections, you can set it up so that one has the modem (internet) and the other is connected to the laptop (cable from desktop to laptop).

If you want wireless, you will need a router unless you have a wireless connection and ethernet connection on the desktop, in which case you can do the same above, only instead of cable from pc to laptop, its wireless connection from pc to laptop.

Pinchy, Jul 17, 2018
Thema:

Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade

1. Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade - Similar Threads - Connect laptop desktop

2. Apps Connected from Laptop to Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps Connected from Laptop to Desktop: I recently brought a new Desktop and wanted to port the apps from my old laptop to my new desktop. But the problem, is that if I try deleting any apps from my laptop, the Desktop version will also be deleted. Another issue is that when I download something new on my desktop,...
  3. Bluetooth connectivity between Headset and Laptop after Windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth connectivity between Headset and Laptop after Windows upgrade: My headset does not connect to my laptop anymore after I did the Windows Auto upgrade. The message says paired but the message on my headset says " Ready to pair". The headset works fine on the mobile phones....
  4. Bluetooth connectivity between Headset and Laptop after Windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth connectivity between Headset and Laptop after Windows upgrade: My headset does not connect to my laptop anymore after I did the Windows Auto upgrade. The message says paired but the message on my headset says " Ready to pair". The headset works fine on the mobile phones....
  5. Bluetooth connectivity between Headset and Laptop after Windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote Desktop RDP connection errors after Win10 1909 upgrade: Hi, I recently upgraded a Lenovo P53 running Win10 1809 to Win10 1909. The Lenovo P53 is typically accessed via Remote Desktop RDP from an HP Probook 640 G1 running Win10 1809 and located at home. The HP accesses the Lenovo P53 over our company's VPN. The Lenovo P53 hosts...
  7. trouble connecting desktop & laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    trouble connecting desktop & laptop: Hello, I work as a caregiver, and am trying to get my client's laptop to talk to the desktop. I guess Windows 10 no longer has a homegroup, although it does come up in the WinExp sharing menu for sharing, for some reason. Anyway, I've got it to where the laptop & the desktop...
  8. At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop

At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop: I have a Desktop PC and a laptop .... I wish to make all files on each unit accessible by each other ... how can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-home-connection-of-a-laptop-and-a-desktop/eeff796e-5b40-4988-b2b9-c7b2f1c13ab5
  9. Upgrading inequalities from desktop to laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading inequalities from desktop to laptop: Windows 10 pro on both desktop and laptop. The laptop upgrades every few days but the desktop never does. What's going on. 61764
  10. No internet connection after upgrade

No internet connection after upgrade: Hi, I upgraded my ageing Dell Inspiron 530 desktop PC this morning from Win7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro. The PC is connected to the router via ethernet cable. All seems fine in terms of the OS, but I have no internet access. I know the router's OK as my other devices are fine....