Windows 10: Connect laptop to desktop over wifi

Discus and support Connect laptop to desktop over wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! I'm trying to connect my laptop and desktop machine together over wifi; both are Windows 10. My laptop can browse my desktop; but my desktop cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sandy_Robinson, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Connect laptop to desktop over wifi

Hi! I'm trying to connect my laptop and desktop machine together over wifi; both are Windows 10. My laptop can browse my desktop; but my desktop cannot pick up the laptop. Network discovery and file sharing are turned on; what else can I do?

Thank you!

:)

Sandy_Robinson, Dec 29, 2018
  2. karyeowl Win User

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Sharing wifi connection between a laptop and desktop

I have wifi on my laptop but no way to connect to wifi on my computer [desktop PC?].

-> Your description sounds a little confusing. Would it be correct to say this?

• Your router/access point runs a wireless network. Let's call it MyWLAN.
    • Your laptop connects wirelessly to MyWLAN.
    • You have a desktop PC. It lacks a wireless adapter.
    • You do not wish to use a CAT5 cable connect the desktop PC to your router.
    • Instead you wish to use a CAT5 cable to connect the desktop PC to your laptop, using it as a bridge to access the router.
    If this is correct then the answer is yes, it can be done. However, a more elegant way would consist of purchasing a $20 USB wireless network adapter for your desktop. It would let you connect to MyWLAN directly and without depending on the laptop.

Frederik Long, Dec 29, 2018
  4. Samaksh Win User

Connect laptop to desktop over wifi

Need help with connecting laptop to desktop using ethernet cable

Why don't you choose cheap USB wireless card for your desktop?
    Anyways, if you have Wifi connection on your laptop you can do it with following steps:
    -Connect your laptop and desktop with the internet
    -Jump to connections settings and then adapter settings
    -Click on Wifi adapter and LAN adapter. Click on the right mouse button
    -Select bridge connections.

Samaksh, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

Connect laptop to desktop over wifi

1. Connect laptop to desktop over wifi - Similar Threads - Connect laptop desktop

2. Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN: I'm out in the country and have a very poor landline internet connection, the laptop is connected to my home network via a LAN cable. I have better internet connectivity via a mobile phone hotspot, and this is connected via Wifi to the laptop and this is where I want to...
  3. Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN: I'm out in the country and have a very poor landline internet connection, the laptop is connected to my home network via a LAN cable. I have better internet connectivity via a mobile phone hotspot, and this is connected via Wifi to the laptop and this is where I want to...
  4. Mac to Windows Remote Desktop Does Not Work Over Wifi Internet Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mac to Windows Remote Desktop Does Not Work Over Wifi Internet Connection: Hi, I am trying to remotely access my windows laptop from my mac but they do not work when I am on different wifi network for mac and even when mac on guest wifi network.They do seem to work when both laptops are on same wifi network which is my home wifi network and also...
  5. Mac to Windows Remote Desktop Does Not Work Over Wifi Internet Connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mac to Windows Remote Desktop Does Not Work Over Wifi Internet Connection: Hi, I am trying to remotely access my windows laptop from my mac but they do not work when I am on different wifi network for mac and even when mac on guest wifi network.They do seem to work when both laptops are on same wifi network which is my home wifi network and also...
  6. Desktop Clients Will Not Open if Laptop is Not Connected to WiFi/Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Clients Will Not Open if Laptop is Not Connected to WiFi/Internet: Running Windows 10 on multiple laptops. Issue appears on all the laptops. If I disconnect the laptop from the WiFi/Internet, basically standalone mode, no desktop clients will open. I try opening Word, Wireshark, Zoom, you name it, none of them will open. As soon as I turn...
  7. Laptop not connecting to a wifi ........

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop not connecting to a wifi ........: I opened my laptop after two to three days I try to connect it to wifi so windows get updated but it is not connecting to it it showing no wifi found or unusual beware like on/off a wifi several times.... Please help me.........
  8. WiFi connection in my desktop

WiFi connection in my desktop: Hi..i am using Amd ryzen 3 2200G processor with Gigabyte B450m dS3h motherboard in my desktop computer, windows 10. i doesn't have any Wifi option.is it possible to download wifi drivers to enable WiFi option on my desktop computer.if yes how?if there is no chance why?...
  9. Can't connect desktop to wifi

Can't connect desktop to wifi: Moved house. Previously connected to internet by ethernet cable. Now want to connect to internet through wifi. CAn't work out how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/cant-connect-desktop-to-wifi/c55b1e9b-d5a5-453e-a582-d64657f44107
  10. Wifi connection on desktop PC

Wifi connection on desktop PC: How to set up wifi on desktop PC, I have motherboard ASRock Z370 Gaming ITX/ac with wifi adapter but can not run wifi. Thanks for help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-connection-on-desktop-pc/148d00a5-9199-4782-ae78-b5afb7bed784