Windows 10: Connect My Cloud drive remotely as a Windows credential?

Discus and support Connect My Cloud drive remotely as a Windows credential? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently purchased a My Cloud drive, and set it up as a network drive on my home computer (on the same network) by adding it as a Windows Credential.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EpicFilmmaker, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Connect My Cloud drive remotely as a Windows credential?

I recently purchased a My Cloud drive, and set it up as a network drive on my home computer (on the same network) by adding it as a Windows Credential. I have port forwarded the device on port 80 and tried adding it as a Windows Credential the same way on a laptop connected to a different network. I entered its address as xx.xx.xxx.xx:80, but I can't get the drive to show up this way. I have double-checked that the port is open and that the IP is my external IP. Is it possible to connect to it this way despite being on a different network?

:)

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 10, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

How do I find out what my network credentials are?

I've a remote hard drive plugged into my wifi router.

Windows occasionally opens a window asking for my network credentials.

It wants my routers login name which is Admin / password is MySecretPassword

Has nothing to do with Microsoft passwords or Home group password.

More times than not when it does ask for my credentials, File History tried to connect too quickly without giving my Hard drive a chance to wake up - so it had failed the connection to that remote hard drive and will try again once it has the login.

'Mike P, Sep 10, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How to safely free up space on Windows 10

Hi Craig,

Lots of users think Cloud computing means your files are stored on the Internet, as you have realised, a local copy is also stored in a OneDrive Folder!

DropBox is even worse, you have you local copy, another copy in a DropBox folder on your hard drive and a Cloud Copy on DropBox!

The way I use the Cloud is:

• I uninstalled OneDrive
    • I keep a local copy on my hard drive
    • At the end of each week, I drag my important files into OneDrive in a Browser window to have a copy on the Cloud as a backup

Yes it is a bit more work, but gives me total control over where my files and how they are backed up

Most users open Windows file explorer nowadays and can't even work out are they looking at a local or remote copy of their work!

DaveM121, Sep 10, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Connect My Cloud drive remotely as a Windows credential?

It won't work if you're using private IP addressing on your LAN. That's because private IP addresses can't be accessed as such over the Internet (this can be solved with proxy and NAT, we may get to that later). What are the first two octets in the device's IP address?
    You tell me, then I'll tell you!
    Thanks and HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
  5. The IP address starts with 71.74. I know this IP address can be used over the internet because I host a Minecraft server on a computer on the same network.

6. Wait, did you mean the router's external IP, or the drive's IP? The router's external IP starts with 71.74. As for the drive, I only know its internal IP starts with 192.164.

7. It's also worth noting that my phone can connect to the drive on different networks, including my data plan.

8. EdTittel Win User

Then your router already has a proxy or NAT set up to make this device available over the Internet. The easy answer is not the correct one in this case. You might want to connect the driver maker's tech support (or check their FAQs and support postings) to see if this is a known problem (better still, if it is a known problem with a solution already available). Sorry to get your hopes up unnecessarily, but at least you don't have to set up a proxy (which can be tricky) or turn NAT on (not hard, but often takes rooting around in manuals).
    Keep us posted on your resolution: you've got me curious now.
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 11, 2016
  9. Hmm... now I can't even connect to the drive over the internet from my phone. I'll contact customer support and let you know what they tell me.

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 11, 2016
  10. Western Digital Support got back to me, and apparently the drive isn't designed for this. However, it does have FTP and SSH which I have been playing with, trying to get it to work as a network location but to no avail. I've done some research and some people have been saying to use VPN, although I don't know what that is or how to set it up. I know the drive isn't officially designed for this, but I figure since it can still be easily accessed through the browser and mobile app, there has to be some sort of loophole I can use to access it through file explorer on a different network, right?

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 13, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    You might not be able to do it through File Explorer, but you'll probably be able to do it through a browser window. What diff does it make, as long as you can access your files?
    Hope it works out for you!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 14, 2016
  12. Well, the project I got this drive for is an animation project, which I will be working on from multiple locations. For a project such as this, it is much easier to be able to access the files directly rather than having to download and upload files constantly. So if this drive can't do it, there has to be a drive out there that can, right? I mean, otherwise what purpose would the "Add a Network Location" function serve?

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 14, 2016
  13. Connect My Cloud drive remotely as a Windows credential?

EpicFilmmaker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Connect My Cloud drive remotely as a Windows credential? - Similar Threads - Connect Cloud drive

2. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  3. Remote User Credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote User Credentials: I have looked everywhere for this answer and cannot find it. Youtube, internet etc.Here goes.I have three PC's. Lets call them Laptop, Basement and Den. Laptop and Den are windows 11 and Basement windows 10I log into all three PC's via my Hotmail email. Also via four digits...
  4. Remote User Credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote User Credentials: I have looked everywhere for this answer and cannot find it. Youtube, internet etc.Here goes.I have three PC's. Lets call them Laptop, Basement and Den. Laptop and Den are windows 11 and Basement windows 10I log into all three PC's via my Hotmail email. Also via four digits...
  5. None of my credentials will let me connect to my remote desktop connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    None of my credentials will let me connect to my remote desktop connection.: I've seen a few things around this; but no answers that seem to fix it? I set up the remote desktop on my Win 10 Pro desktop and added myself as a user to be able to access the desktop remotely. But whenever I try to remote in from my desktop is says the credentials aren't...
  6. None of my credentials will let me connect to my remote desktop connection.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    None of my credentials will let me connect to my remote desktop connection.: I've seen a few things around this; but no answers that seem to fix it? I set up the remote desktop on my Win 10 Pro desktop and added myself as a user to be able to access the desktop remotely. But whenever I try to remote in from my desktop is says the credentials aren't...
  7. None of my credentials will let me connect to my remote desktop connection.

8. Remote desktop connection and invalid Credentials

Remote desktop connection and invalid Credentials: Hello Im trying to access a desktop remote connection to my work, but every time i try to log in it asks for my "credentials", which i assume is my Microsoft user name and password, but every time i type them in its says they are wrong. I really need to get in to do my...
  9. Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work: I can successfully RDP to the target computer from any computer with in the LAN. However, I get an error message of "Your credentials did not work" when I RDP from WAN. I know that my setup is working to the target computer but just that credentials entered is not...
  10. Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows: How to: Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows How to Delete Saved Credentials of a Remote Desktop Connection in Windows [img] Information You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows PC from a...