Windows 10: Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop

Discus and support Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I have an old 2013ish desktop rig, which still serves me well for office and multimedia purposes and I have a new NVMe SSD drive primarily seen in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ish4d0w, May 28, 2019.

1. ish4d0w Win User

Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop

Hi

I have an old 2013ish desktop rig, which still serves me well for office and multimedia purposes
    and I have a new NVMe SSD drive primarily seen in use with new notebooks but for now I would like to use it in my desktop.

I do not have the required slot as far as I am aware. I do have PCI-E slots though, including a PCIE-E x16 running at x4.

Please tell me what adapter I need to connect!

Board is: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3P
    GA-F2A88XM-HD3P (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

I do not have a PCIE-E graphics card, all slots are available and free.

Specification:
    GIGABYTE
    GA-F2A88XM-HD3P (rev. 1.0)
    Expansion Slots
    1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
    (The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
    * To support PCI Express 3.0, you must install an FM2+ APU
    1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
    1 x PCI Express x1 slot
    (The PCIEX4 and PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
    1 x PCI slot

I am worried about this sentence as I only have an FM2 Cpu (AMD a6-5400k) not an fm2+.
    To support PCI Express 3.0, you must install an FM2+ APU

SSD is Samsung EVO 970 500 GB NVME M.2
    Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD | Extreme Digital

SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB | MZ-V7E500BW | Samsung HU

I have plenty of space inside my PC case and dont need boot support.
    I need something cheap but good.
    AXAGON PCEM2-D PCIe NVMe+NGFF M.2 adapter | PCX.hu

Was looking at this adapter. It is a dual slot one so might come handy later. Would it be fine?

:)

ish4d0w, May 28, 2019

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, May 28, 2019
  3. Windows refuses to install on NVME SSD (Samsung 960 EVO)

First, thanks everyone who copy-pasted the first relevant results they found in Google. I found those before I asked the question.

The solution that I got to work is as follows:

• Disable CSM / UEFI
    • Enable Secure Boot
    • Now the installer can access the NVME SSD
      • Format the drive
      • Restart the machine

• Enable CSM / UEFI

• Disable Secure Boot

• Proceed to installer and now Windows will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive

MikeIsMike, May 28, 2019
  4. xkm1948 Win User

Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to try what you suggested. I just tried using Linux Mint boot cd to hopefully erase the SSD. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of encryption on the SATA SSD that prevents Linux from managing the SSD. Funny thing is I never used bitlocker on the SATA SSD.

xkm1948, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop - Similar Threads - Connect NVMe SSD

2. Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...: So, I cloned my old nvme SSD to my new one. I only had one slot and the old drive was only about 120 gb with the new one being about 1tb. Everything cloned over fine, the OS, etc. It's just it keeps trying to locate the old drive C instead of the new one E. Disk 2 is the old...
  3. M2 NVME SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M2 NVME SSD: How much exactly does Windows 10 benefit from being installed on an M2 NVME SSD compared to a SATA-600 SSD ? Other than a faster boot time, how exactly does windows benefit from the direct connection to the cpu that an NVME SSD offers?...
  4. NVME SSD accidentally connected to the wrong slot?

NVME SSD accidentally connected to the wrong slot?: When I built my first PC I connected my NVME SSD to the lower slot (which I didn't know otherwise at the time) and now I would like to connect my NVME SSD to the other slot. Can I just do that without thinking about it or can it cause problems with my Windows key or NVME SSD...
  5. Nvme ssd is buggy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nvme ssd is buggy: I have 3 drives in my pc one is new ssd with windows(main boot drive)and second one is my older hhd i salvaged fron ntbk the third one is m.2 nvme ssd. So i just updated my audio driver and restarted my pc, but the nvme is not showing up. But when i boot up fron the hdd the...
  6. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  7. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  8. Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.: Long story short, I need to clone the content of my old machine's sata SSD into my new machine's nvme SSD so I can continue using my current installation without losing my software, settings, personal files etc. I have a clone of my drive on another SSD at the moment for...
  9. NVME SSD

NVME SSD: Do all versions of Windows 10, including business (Volume license), have built in NVme drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvme-ssd/4df34df6-e834-425b-b1c1-716012fe31a6
  10. Swiching to a nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swiching to a nvme ssd: When switching from a HDD SSD to NVMe SSD as the C:\ drive in a working same system (with everything else in the same system remaining the same) will Windows 10 pro require reactivation?...