Windows 10: connect to folders on home network

Discus and support connect to folders on home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I used to be able to view the shared folders on my home network yet now cannot. I do not know what has changed. The folders are shareable, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by javablood, Aug 13, 2018.

1. javablood Win User

connect to folders on home network

I used to be able to view the shared folders on my home network yet now cannot. I do not know what has changed. The folders are shareable, the necessary services are running & automatic, and now I am at a loss. I am using a Surface to connect to my shared folders. I am on the network yet do not see the folders in File Explorer. Any thoughts? Thank you.

:)

javablood, Aug 13, 2018
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile connect to folders on home network :)

Frogger, Aug 13, 2018
  3. Losing network connection

Hello Dear, if you have a laptop or a PC with a wireless network adapter, you can see a list of available wireless networks and then connect to one of those networks. The wireless networks will only appear if your PC has a wireless network adapter installed, the adapter is turned on, and the wireless access point is in range.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

2. In the left pane, under Network Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    In case, If you don't see the network you want to connect to, click Refresh network list. If you see the network but the signal is weak, move the PC closer to the wireless router.

3. Click the network you want to connect to, and then click Connect.

4. If you're connecting to a secure network, type the security key, and then click OK.

I Hope you solve out your query soon.

martinkaren77, Aug 13, 2018
  4. Mel Tar Win User

No network connection

Hello Graham,

To resolve your concern about wireless network issues, please click the link below and follow the suggested troubleshooting steps:

Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Aug 13, 2018
Thema:

1. connect to folders on home network - Similar Threads - connect folders home

2. Home Network - computers won't connect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Network - computers won't connect: Since the Win 10 update to 20H2, my 2 Win 10 computers won't file share. In other words I see them in Windows explorer but when I try to access them I get the error I do not have permission to access the folders and C drive on DANNY-PC. The other says can't access DANNY-PC-2...
  3. Home network - computers unable to connect for folder sharing

Home network - computers unable to connect for folder sharing: Hi I have Windows10 Home (ver 1909) installed on 2 compters on my home network. Computer 1 - connected to main router (via ethernet). Computer 2 - connected to Access Point (via ethernet). The AP is connected to the main router (ethernet) and the IP addresses of each...
  4. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  5. Peer to Peer Connection in home network.

Peer to Peer Connection in home network.: Hi Everyone !, I have a Golf Game, (Jack Nicklaus 6) and I want to play accross my network which consists of a desktop connected to the modem by hard wire and a laptop connected to the modem by WiFi. To connect in the game I need the IP address of the computer hosting the...
  6. Connect via home network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect via home network: I have 3 computers connected to the home wifi network. 2 can see each other and themselves but can't see the 3rd. The 3rd can see all three. How can I make them all see each other?...
  7. Home network connection issues

Home network connection issues: I have my PC and my laptop sharing to each other over the same WiFi network, using their PC names. I can access one from the other to transfer docs or sync folders. That is, until a couple days ago. Now all of a sudden they either won't connect at all or will take several...
  8. Lost Home Network Connection

Lost Home Network Connection: The upgrade from 8.1 went smoothly, the only problem so far is that I lost my Home Network connection and don't see how to re-connect. My Home Network consists of 3 computers, an ancient XP, a newer WIN7, an HP Printer and this one running WIN10. Where do I find the...
  9. Network Connections folder empty

Network Connections folder empty: HP g6 laptop Had many problems with this laptop. Customer had at least 3 AV programs. Deleted all. (Including 3 Variations of AVG.) Finally got to where I can boot to Desktop, everything looks normal. Except no internet. Network Connections folder is empty. In Device...
  10. Intermittent connectivity on home network

Intermittent connectivity on home network: Have a Win 8.1 PC and Win 10 laptop which can see each other at all times on the home network but only once in a while actually display each other's files and/or transfer files from one to the other. Just now the PC can display the laptop's Homegroup items (but not full C:\...