Windows 10: Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer

Discus and support Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a interesting situation. We work in a large building where I lease a smaller office space. Internet is provided to all of my 4 employees but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AllenWAD, Jul 15, 2020.

1. AllenWAD Win User

Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer

I have a interesting situation. We work in a large building where I lease a smaller office space. Internet is provided to all of my 4 employees but we are not connected on one "Private" network . The building provides internet thru wired NIC. So we are unable to share devices like printers. Is it possible to create my own wifi network in our small office just to share a printer? This is my idea:

1. Get a wireless access point
    2. The computers have 1 internal NIC "hard wired port that is plugged into wall that provides internet. The computers also have Wireless cards that I can use to connect to the new wireless access point.
    3. Establish wireless connection from Wifi Printer to Wireless Access Point.
    4. Hopefully all computers will be able to print.

I am not sure how to configure the NIC's so they work correctly when it comes to IP addresses and subnet mask. I know that something has to be different but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Allen

:)

AllenWAD, Jul 15, 2020

2. configure network to use WIFI for LAN/Print and Ethernet for internet

HI, I am a newb to the forum this is my first post.

My network topology is Comcast Modem>Switch>Wireless Access Point

My Win 10 Desktop is connected to the switch for Internet Access.

The network printer is connected to the Wireless access point.

I would like to keep using the wired Ethernet adapter to access the internet as it has 20% faster download speeds and use the WIFI adapter to connect to printer. However, when I connect to the WIFI connection, Windows 10 defaults the internet connection to the WIFI adapter. Note the WIFI and Ethernet adapters are both connected at this point.

I see that users used to be able to configure this setting by going to ControlPanel>NetworkandInternet>NetworkConnections>Ctrl>Advanced. This destination no longer allows user to assign preference to internet connection order.
    Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer [​IMG]

Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer [​IMG]

dirtfarmer7, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Printer will not connect to wifi network.

The printer was working fine until one day a WiFi Thermostat was installed. Since that day, if I attempt to get the printer to connect, it

disconnects the computer's WiFi and the printer connects and prints with the apps. If I re-enable the computer WiFi, the printer goes offline.

On the Internet Access popup (from the task bar), the printer is listed with the word "Open" and a warning about "People might be able to see data sent over this network".

It seems like a setup error but none of the troubleshooters are any help and neither is the printer setup options. Can you offer any suggestions?

regards,

andrew

OneAndrew9, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer

Network Printer works on LAN but not on Wifi

I had a similar problem. When I connected to LAN by cable, I was able to print on the network printer. When I used wifi connection to the same LAN, printing wasn't able. (The wifi wasn't "guest" wifi, so no client isolation was enabled.) I was able to ping the printer, but printing was not working.

David Najman, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer

1. Connect to Internet over LAN, but print to Wifi Printer - Similar Threads - Connect Internet LAN

2. Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN: I'm out in the country and have a very poor landline internet connection, the laptop is connected to my home network via a LAN cable. I have better internet connectivity via a mobile phone hotspot, and this is connected via Wifi to the laptop and this is where I want to...
  3. Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN: I'm out in the country and have a very poor landline internet connection, the laptop is connected to my home network via a LAN cable. I have better internet connectivity via a mobile phone hotspot, and this is connected via Wifi to the laptop and this is where I want to...
  4. Can't Print to WiFi Connected Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Print to WiFi Connected Printer: My laptop has been able to print to my Canon TS8100 printer for ages. However, now it refuses, and says it's offline, which it isn't. When I try to print, I get the standard "Printer is offline" box displayed. I am on the same WiFi network as the printer. I've rebooted my...
  5. Printer will not connect over LAN, even putting in IP address

Printer will not connect over LAN, even putting in IP address: Hello all! I've just bought a new Canon TR8520 printer, but my Windows laptop refuses to recognize it even though they're both connected to the same network. I've even tried setting it up using its IP addresses both in the Canon setup utility and in the Windows "Add a...
  6. Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC: I have a interesting situation. We work in a large building where I lease a smaller office space. Internet is provided to all of my 4 employees but we are not connected on one "Private" network . (The building provides internet thru wired NIC). So we are unable to share...
  7. Connecting to local printer over internet

Connecting to local printer over internet: Apologies if this is the wrong board to post this. I have been asked to set up a remote connection from a laptop directly to a local printer connected to the router, without remote connection to the office pc, so that the person using the laptop at home can print to the local...
  8. Printer over wifi

Printer over wifi: How do I connect a printer over wifi? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-over-wifi/90593a95-404e-4b6f-885e-a6fb080ef12e
  9. configure network to use WIFI for LAN/Print and Ethernet for internet

configure network to use WIFI for LAN/Print and Ethernet for internet: HI, I am a newb to the forum this is my first post. My network topology is Comcast Modem>Switch>Wireless Access Point My Win 10 Desktop is connected to the switch for Internet Access. The network printer is connected to the Wireless access point. I would like to keep...
  10. Perpexing Problem of Server Connecting Over Wifi but not LAN

Perpexing Problem of Server Connecting Over Wifi but not LAN: Hi All My first post. I have a very confusing problem, that I cannot seem to find the answer to. I have a QNAP Server which was working on LAN for quiet a while. One day I tried connecting to it and everytime I was connected on the network via LAN I cannot connect....