Windows 10: Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC

Discus and support Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a interesting situation. We work in a large building where I lease a smaller office space. Internet is provided to all of my 4 employees but we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by awadsworth, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC

I have a interesting situation. We work in a large building where I lease a smaller office space. Internet is provided to all of my 4 employees but we are not connected on one "Private" network . (The building provides internet thru wired NIC). So we are unable to share devices like printers. Is it possible to create my own wifi network in our small office just to share a printer? This at the same time still haveing the hard wire connection to the internet.
    This is my idea:

1. Get a wireless access point
    2: The computers have 1 internal NIC "hard wired port that is plugged into wall that provides internet. The computers also have Wireless cards that I can use to connect to the new wireless access point.
    3. Establish wireless connection from Wifi Printer to Wireless Access Point.
    4. Hopefully all computers will be able to print.

I am not sure how to configure the NIC's so they work correctly when it comes to IP addresses and subnet mask. I know that something has to be different but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Allen

:)

awadsworth, Jul 15, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

who uses a NIC?

I've never had an on-board NIC fail, so that's what I use.
    If one does fail, I have dozens of unused discreet NICs laying around to pop in.
    Since my internet connection speed is nowhere near my network speed it doesn't matter if I use a Gigabit NIC or 100Mb.

Kreij, Jul 15, 2020
  3. SanyaIV Win User
    Windows uses wrong NIC in a dual NIC setup, Ignores metric at times.

Well can I manually force it to not do this or force it to a specific mode? I mean it works fine 90% of the time but then seemingly randomly Windows will just push all traffic that previously went on NIC 1 to NIC 2. So I can use NIC 1 and NIC 2 simultaneously for hours and then suddenly Windows will stop using NIC 1 for all normal traffic and try to use NIC 2 instead, even though my firewall blocks all applications from using NIC 2 (which I think it should realize and start sending the traffic via NIC 1 again)

It's not actually two different VLANs, it's the same LAN, same subnet. Just that all applications should take NIC 1 to reach it and Tixati NIC 2 to reach it. The routes reflect this by NIC 1 and NIC 2 having the same settings just that NIC 1 has a much lower metric which should mean that Windows should use NIC 1 instead of NIC 2.

Nothing like that is done with the VPN, the VPN part is working great. The VPN is running on the router and has two connections connections and the router routes traffic from NIC 1 to VPN 1 and NIC 2 to VPN 2, so everything there is working great. The thing that isn't working is the dual connections between router and computer, I don't want Windows to load balance or bridge or fallback, I want Windows to treat them as two different networks of which only one should be used by it which is NIC 1 (But NIC 2 should be enabled and available so that Tixati can force itself to use it)

Although it sounds like Windows just won't let me set this up? Sounds like it forces what it thinks is best for my system even if it isn't? I guess I'll just have to disable/enable NIC 1 every time it happens then.

Thanks for answering. =)

SanyaIV, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Bo$$ Win User

Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC

who uses a NIC?

not many of us do

Thema:

Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC

1. Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC - Similar Threads - Connect Internet using

2. wifi card REALTEK RTL8723BE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC not connecting, or connecting...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi card REALTEK RTL8723BE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC not connecting, or connecting...: So basically this all started when I had to forcefully close a game due to an error, and when I opened my browser I noticed that I had no more internet. After that, I ran countless diagnosis on my wifi and the only problems I saw were with the gateway and IP configuration. My...
  3. Internet Connection Sharing works but the shared NIC can't see LAN nor LAN can't see the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet Connection Sharing works but the shared NIC can't see LAN nor LAN can't see the...: Windows 10 Home Hi, My PC has Wireless connection to the Internet and LAN thru a router, and it has 2 Ethernet that are free. I connect my NAS to an Ethernet port on my PC and and I share the internet connection with the Ethernet 2, then I can connect from my PC to the NAS...
  4. configure network to use WIFI for LAN/Print and Ethernet for internet

configure network to use WIFI for LAN/Print and Ethernet for internet: HI, I am a newb to the forum this is my first post. My network topology is Comcast Modem>Switch>Wireless Access Point My Win 10 Desktop is connected to the switch for Internet Access. The network printer is connected to the Wireless access point. I would like to keep...
  5. LAN /NIC Teaming Windows 10 1809

LAN /NIC Teaming Windows 10 1809: I am having a Network Teaming Issue!!! I have a dual LAN ( Intel 1211-V and 1219) motherboard and had teaming working prior to the 1809 rollout... I am trying to re-create the NIC Team and see that Intel Advanced Network Services Protocol will not load, when the Team is...
  6. Make a PC "Cellular Only" while using NIC for local LAN

Make a PC "Cellular Only" while using NIC for local LAN: OK, here's my setup... I have a Toughbook Dell laptop that interfaces with a piece of equipment (temperature monitor) over ethernet. The configuration on the LAN is a simple IP and subnet mask to be able to talk to the box. No gateway is set. In the past, we've used WiFi...
  7. Benchmark NIC?

Benchmark NIC?: Hi, is there some way to consistently benchmark your NIC so one can try out different settings (offload etc) and see what works best? I am trying Psping, but it's very weird, if i have chrome opened it works faster then if it's not opened etc, which makes no sense....
  8. VMware - Force VM to use "Internal" Virtual Nic and not installed Nic

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware - Force VM to use "Internal" Virtual Nic and not installed Nic: Hi there Anybody know how to get VMware to use its own Virtual NIC for Windows rather than the hardware Nic's / Wifi Nic's when VM's are running on the same machine as the Host. I've got HOST W10 PRO Two VM's -- centos and Linux Mint running on same local machine as...
  9. Teaming NICS ?

Teaming NICS ?: How do you assign matrix as without it only one will be used and its also no good unless the nic has a cpu which can handle the traffic instead of the pc or the bottle neck will be the pc. Using basic broadband on gigabyte nic one should have no problems at Barclays we ran...
  10. Windows uses wrong NIC in a dual NIC setup, Ignores metric at times.

Windows uses wrong NIC in a dual NIC setup, Ignores metric at times.: Hi! I have a question that I can't find the answer for, I've been searching like crazy but keep finding the same responses which have in my case proven useless. The situation is this: I have one router and one computer, the computer has two network interface cards...