Windows 10: Connect to network automatically unchecked - why is machine still connecting?

Discus and support Connect to network automatically unchecked - why is machine still connecting? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Windows 7 goes strictly by that checkbox as booted and logged in. Windows 10 does not - why? If I am connected manually and don't disconnect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BookishFlunky90, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Connect to network automatically unchecked - why is machine still connecting?

My Windows 7 goes strictly by that checkbox as booted and logged in.

Windows 10 does not - why?

If I am connected manually and don't disconnect manually before shutdown - it automatically connect next time, ignoring checkbox.

How do I fix this so I don't have to do manually both ways each time?

I far from go online every time.

Thanks.

:)

BookishFlunky90, Dec 7, 2020

2. The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked*

Hi Needan,

Though you can manually disconnect from the network to avoid reconnecting to it automatically, you may also disable the automatic connection feature of your Wi-Fi connection. Having this turned off will permanently remove the check mark on the
    Connect automatically option. Make sure your laptop is connected to your Wi-Fi before performing the steps below:

1. Open Settings > Network & Internet.
    2. Click Wi-Fi.
    3. In the right pane, click Change adapter options.
    4. Double-click Wi-Fi to open Wi-Fi Status.
    5. Double-click Wireless Properties.
    6. Uncheck Connect automatically when this network is in range.
    7. Click OK, and then Close.

Please let me know how it goes so I'll be able to assist you further if needed.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 7, 2020
  3. Available Networks List Connect Automatically CheckBox For Unused Available Networks Does Not Stay Unchecked

This question has been asked by another user with no solution provided.

Available Networks List Connect Automatically CheckBox Uncheck Can't!

When a person goes to internet access to connect to their WiFi, a list is provided that also shows other nearby WiFi networks (neighbors accounts) and hidden networks that have never been connected to. Windows 10 appears to default to checking the box to
    connect to these networks automatically. We do not want to connect to these networks automatically and therefore do not want the box checked. When a person unchecks them in the list, they are checked again when the list is reopened. Since they have never
    been connected to, they do not appear in the known or saved network list. How do we get the connect automatically box to default to or stay unchecked?

Please take the time to experience and understand the problem so a correct solution can be provided.

Thank You

ChrisEstadt, Dec 7, 2020
  4. Connect to network automatically unchecked - why is machine still connecting?

The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked*

The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked* in the list of available networks.

Please! note!

Not talking about *Saved Networks* or "known networks"! Please, do not address either of these.

Also, understand that (in theory) one shouldn't worry because it won't actually automatically connect (but it does anyway...).

Simply, how can I completely ignore - especially to include a check in the Connect Automatically Checkbox

- unwanted - unsolicited networks in the available networks list (the one typically accessed from the taskbar icon.)

Not asking about how to forget known networks.

Can see how this is done and can do it.

And also without regard to whether or not my client might actually connect to unwanted networks.

Understand that there may be a challenge for protected networks - and even unprotected networks should require some input?

(but then why autoconnect, if true? /boggle)

Don't want *even the appearance* that *my* settings allow for automatic connection to networks

that I don't want to ever ever connect to

- by being able to uncheck that Connect Automatically Checkbox -

for networks that I've neither saved - nor ever connected to.

Have expressed these points fairly exactingly and painfully redundantly in hopes of drawing only pertinent advice for this specific issue

- thanks in advance!

Needan Ansuh, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

Connect to network automatically unchecked - why is machine still connecting?

1. Connect to network automatically unchecked - why is machine still connecting? - Similar Threads - Connect network automatically

2. Hidden Network set to Automatically Connect, re-checks if unchecked. Not listed in Manage...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hidden Network set to Automatically Connect, re-checks if unchecked. Not listed in Manage...: I've seen a lot of the reposnses about going into managed networks and deleting. It doesn't show up there. Also I live on 3.5 acres so its not a neighbor.I got hacked bad about 5 weeks ago. I use a vpn and Bitdefender. On the 2 Dell XPS laptops they bypassed Bitdefender and...
  3. Hidden Network set to Automatically Connect, re-checks if unchecked. Not listed in Manage...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hidden Network set to Automatically Connect, re-checks if unchecked. Not listed in Manage...: I've seen a lot of the reposnses about going into managed networks and deleting. It doesn't show up there. Also I live on 3.5 acres so its not a neighbor.I got hacked bad about 5 weeks ago. I use a vpn and Bitdefender. On the 2 Dell XPS laptops they bypassed Bitdefender and...
  4. "Connect Automatically" UNCHECKED but connects anyway on Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Connect Automatically" UNCHECKED but connects anyway on Win11: This just started after an update on Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22635 restart.I am SHOCKED to find my newly restarted Win 11 Pro system connected to the Internet. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. This is not merely an inconvenience, it's the unauthorized usage of resources. The resources are...
  5. "Connect Automatically" UNCHECKED but connects anyway on Win11

"Connect Automatically" UNCHECKED but connects anyway on Win11: This just started after an update on Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22635 restart.I am SHOCKED to find my newly restarted Win 11 Pro system connected to the Internet. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. This is not merely an inconvenience, it's the unauthorized usage of resources. The resources are...
  6. network automatically connect wirelessly

network automatically connect wirelessly: I got a new internet service provider. My laptop will not connect wirelessly to my new network. It does work if i plug in the ethernet cable. I have done s troubleshoot, it states 'this computer is set to manually connect to 'Martin' network. How do I get to automatically...
  7. PC automatically connects to a network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC automatically connects to a network: So I recently moved to a new place and have never bought my PC. However, I have brought my laptop before and its connected to the same microsoft account as my PC. A few days later I brought over my PC and it automatically connected to the new house's WIFI. Is there anything I...
  8. Hidden Network set to Automatically Connect, re-checks if unchecked. Not listed in Forget...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden Network set to Automatically Connect, re-checks if unchecked. Not listed in Forget...: To start, YES I realize that I'm not actually actively connected to the Hidden Network, It requires a password. My issue is that I cannot uncheck the Connect Automatically it re-checks itself instantly AND the network does not show up in the list to Forget Network. THIS IS A...
  9. hidden network automatic connection

hidden network automatic connection: Hi there, I just purchased a small tablet computer and connecting to the wifi at home i notice in addition to my regular wifi network, it is connecting to a hidden network without my permission. I just unchecked the box that said connect automatically to the hidden...
  10. The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked*

The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked*: The Connect Automatically Checkbox will not *stay unchecked* in the list of available networks. Please! note! Not talking about *Saved Networks* or "known networks"! Please, do not address either of these. Also, understand that (in theory) one shouldn't worry because it...