Windows 10: Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?

Discus and support Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Dell Vostro 15 5510, that has had the problem of unexpectedly shutting down overnight.We leave this laptop on so that the user can come back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tim_177, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Tim_177 Win User

Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?

I have a Dell Vostro 15 5510, that has had the problem of unexpectedly shutting down overnight.We leave this laptop on so that the user can come back in the morning and already have the necessary websites and web portals already signed in and ready to go, he just has to unlock windows to begin working.Lately when he has come in in the morning, the laptop has completely turned off on him and he has boot it back up.I checked through the event logs, and it is showing unexpected shutdowns occurring at night over the last few days. This only happens after the laptop shows that it has entered "Conne

:)

Tim_177, Mar 31, 2022

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns? [​IMG]

Bald Eagle, Mar 31, 2022
  3. Standby, shutdown issues - windows 10

Somewhat same problem here.

Can't identify if it is or not related to some update.

Tried all solutions provided. Still can't figure it out.

Shutdown works fine but standby don't as follows:

• After indicating standby procedures (closing lid, timeout, Start Menu --> Standby) the system appears to try to go into Standby. The screen fades, the disk lights flash a little.
    • Then the power light -that was supposed to slowly and continuously dim- just keeps on alongside the wireless light.
    • On this state the computer becomes unresponsive. Power button, device plugging and other triggers remain uneffective.
    • To regain control of the computer it is necessary to force shutdown the machine and start it again (holding power button, removing the battery and power cord etc.).
    • After starting, Windows reopens all windows and shows no warnings, as if the system successfully entered Standby.
    I believe this may be something software-related preventing the system from going full Standby. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jônathas Baker, Mar 31, 2022
  4. Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?

Windows 10 Stuck on Repair, getting random shutdown.

We just want to verify a few things about the issue you're having with the issue that's going on on your PC. Please provide answers to the questions below:

• Can you tell us what were the troubleshooting steps that you have done so far?
    • About the random shutdown, is this concern happening prior to the update?

We'll wait for your reply.

Robert Caw, Mar 31, 2022
Thema:

Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?

1. Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns? - Similar Threads - Connected Standby Mode

2. no internet connection after a random shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no internet connection after a random shutdown: was playing with friends when the pc randomly turned off after a thunderstrike, after that i lost connection to the internet. I tried multiple ways to fix the problem but it doesnt work, the ethernet cable can still by scanned by device manager and router can still read the...
  3. Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?: I have a Dell Vostro 15 5510, that has had the problem of unexpectedly shutting down overnight.We leave this laptop on so that the user can come back in the morning and already have the necessary websites and web portals already signed in and ready to go, he just has to...
  4. Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?

Connected Standby Mode Causing Random Shutdowns?: I have a Dell Vostro 15 5510, that has had the problem of unexpectedly shutting down overnight.We leave this laptop on so that the user can come back in the morning and already have the necessary websites and web portals already signed in and ready to go, he just has to...
  5. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Customization
    Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby: i bought the X1 Carbon Gen9. when i download something via firefox and it takes e.g. 5 hours slow download server, due to modern standby or normal standby, the download some when stops. i read this page: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standbyhowever, i...
  6. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby: i bought the X1 Carbon Gen9. when i download something via firefox and it takes e.g. 5 hours slow download server, due to modern standby or normal standby, the download some when stops. i read this page: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standbyhowever, i...
  7. Carbon Gen9: Enable Network Connectivity in Standby Mode Modern Standby

8. Winlogon.exe/Runtimebroker.exe causing random shutdowns.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Winlogon.exe/Runtimebroker.exe causing random shutdowns.: Over 3 weeks ago, my PC that has been built and working fine for almost 3 years now started shutting down and starting up by itself. This started one night after being shut down as I was about to sleep. That day it was used regularly and presented no failures. Last hardware...
  9. Monitors suddenly loosing connection and switching into standby mode.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitors suddenly loosing connection and switching into standby mode.: Hello, Recently I've ran into an issue with my setup. Sometimes when I'm gaming, both my monitors go black and switch to standby mode. The signal from the GPU is totally lost. I can still hear audio and the PC is still running fine but no matter what I do, it doesn't bring...
  10. Somthing causing random unexpected shutdowns

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Somthing causing random unexpected shutdowns: I have a PC running windows 10 64bit running the latest version with all drivers up to date (I just checked) My PC randomly crashes/shutsdown unexpectedly. I first though this was emory related so I run Memtest which shown 0 errors in all 4 of my RAM dimms When I took a...