Windows 10: Connected to internet unattended - safe?

Discus and support Connected to internet unattended - safe? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm running 1607 windows 10 on one of my test machines and am aware of the Internet Off tool, but is there one which stops / blocks all internet... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by EightK, Jan 27, 2017.

1. EightK Win User

Connected to internet unattended - safe?

I'm running 1607 windows 10 on one of my test machines and am aware of the Internet Off tool, but is there one which stops / blocks all internet activity if there's no activity for say more than 2 minutes?

Zonealarm used to engage this lock on their products.

Also, just running Windows Defender without any other third party AV or anti-malware software, is it safe for me to store sensitive un-encrpyted files on my desktop or My Documents folder?

I assume it's OK unless I grant access permission via remote sessions?

:)

EightK, Jan 27, 2017

2. Defender Updates

Defender fails to update, as previously posted Has a internet or connectivity problem. Yet this is being unattended? I have been trying for weeks and are now at a point that the best option is to install an anti virus program.

Has anyone any ideas?

Sainter1966, Jan 27, 2017
  3. Buffering internet connection

I have given it a week but I still have a problem. The internet goes normally, then starts buffering. If I leave it unattended, the internet drops. The message that Windows cannot automatically detect Proxy Settings, is still there .

This is a new PC with a good processor. My Internet is BT and I have the latest Router.

John McCann666, Jan 27, 2017
  4. Connected to internet unattended - safe?

First you really didn’t discuss what your network looks like but I will assume you have a reasonable modern router between you and the internet and with its built in processes it provides your first level of protection.

Please reference this article.

GRC | NAT - The Security of Network Address Translation

I would be very surprised if many here on the forum disconnect from the Internet when not using.

Now to AV. Windows Defender is fine product. I use bought software. Most on the forum likely run two AV’s for that second set of eyes. I would recommend Malwarebytes, others will have a different opinion. You will have real time protect for the trial period and shouldn’t have any co-existence issues with Defender. When the trial runs out you can manually scan every week or two depending on the sites you visit. With the speed of the new product, maybe you go daily.

Finally is it safe. I guess it depends what you mean safe. Should something enter your network, like Ransomware, from an alternate machine on your network, could it get to your machine, the answer is yes. Some routers allow for network isolation, good for security, lousy for networking and sharing. Of course there are settings in Windows for discovery and sharing which may need to be thought through.

Also check out other Steve Gibson articles on how to use more than one router to hide behind something that is already hidden.

Then of course we get back to AV and all the s%$t out there. There is no fool proof product. I’m sure if you scan the AV section of the forum everyone infected had something running and 99.99% entered when they were using Internet, either through a drive by, unsolicited tag along in a download or suspect attachment.

The only way to safeguard data so that you will always have access is a proven backup and restore routine. If you are worried about identity theft you could look a products like vera crypt and create a container for these files. You still need a Backup and a way to keep your keys safe.

Caledon Ken, Jan 29, 2017
  5. EightK Win User
    Thanks for your reply Caledon.

I am connected by an up-to-date fibre broadband provided by my service provider. I've not configured it in any way.

It's usually connected to 3 - 4 devices by ethernet.

So if I left the connection idling for say 4 hours, I don't really need to worry about potential nasties which can copy sensitive files from my desktop or my documents, do I?

I guess Microsoft's built-in firewall and Defender will block any unautorised entry attempts?

EightK, Feb 4, 2017
  6. I had been doing so since 2015 until I installed Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware (which provides real-time protection) a week ago, and I will possibly install Malwarebytes free later.

Matthew Wai, Feb 4, 2017
  7. clam1952 Win User
    If you want to make sure your routers firewall and PC firewall is working properly use Steve Gibsons Shields Up also at grc.com. Ideally it shouldn't be able to find your system.

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Connected to internet unattended - safe?

1. Connected to internet unattended - safe? - Similar Threads - Connected internet unattended

2. Can not connect to internet in safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not connect to internet in safe mode with networking: I am trying to connect to the internet using the safe mod with network option because my computer crashed and will not boot normally I am receiving the error code "system thread exception not handled" which I have been led to believe is most commonly an incompatible driver...
  3. Can not connect to internet in safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not connect to internet in safe mode with networking: I am trying to connect to the internet using the safe mod with network option because my computer crashed and will not boot normally I am receiving the error code "system thread exception not handled" which I have been led to believe is most commonly an incompatible driver...
  4. Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10: Hello, I'm facing an issue with my laptop and to fix that i would like to run a DISM command in safe mode. However i cannot run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth as i cannot connect to the internet in safe mode.I headed over to msconfig from pressing Windows+R...
  5. Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10: Hello, I'm facing an issue with my laptop and to fix that i would like to run a DISM command in safe mode. However i cannot run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth as i cannot connect to the internet in safe mode.I headed over to msconfig from pressing Windows+R...
  6. Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera: For the last 15 years I have spent about half the time each year in another state but able to monitor my home situation via the internet and accessing my “unattended” home cameras and computer by simply using my 12 digit WAN address and with an unique 4 digit appended port...
  8. Internet Connected but no Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Connected but no Internet: Whenever I go on to the internet it says No internet and the diagnostics say The remote device or resource won't accept the connection. The error is ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED. When i go to Network connections it says the Network Cable is Unplugged for Ethernet but i've...
  9. How to install the Windows? It is more safe without internet connection or with internet...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to install the Windows? It is more safe without internet connection or with internet...: Hello! I have to install the windows , i downloaded it from microsoft official website and i create a bootable usb drive. my question it is if it is safe to install it with internet connection on or should i plugged out the cable of etherent and no connection it is more...
  10. Unattend File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unattend File: Hi, I'm using WDS with Unattend File to deploy Win 10 to my VMs. It works fine, but the problem is, after the installation, the VM restarts and then boots from PXE again. (Basically, it's an infinite loop of Win 10 Installation because of the restart). What options do I have...