Windows 10: Connecting 2 TB+ External HDD to (LCD / LED) TV - Hell Corner

Discus and support Connecting 2 TB+ External HDD to (LCD / LED) TV - Hell Corner in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So the majority of those who like to watch movies on the big screen tend to rather follow the nasty act of using an external HDD to watch instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Connecting 2 TB+ External HDD to (LCD / LED) TV - Hell Corner

So the majority of those who like to watch movies on the big screen tend to rather follow the nasty act of using an external HDD to watch instead of connecting their laptop/desktop/phone/tablet etc for multiple reasons : First of versatility and Second saving disk space on these devices as usually movies aren't coming any compact even the ripped ones .

Usually those who started with connecting <= 1 TB external HDD were the ones better off as it worked right off without much hassle , but like you see with the catching up of 4K videos and everybody knows 1 TB isn't quite the optimum space that should be dedicated for these .

Problem raised when people started happily buying 2+ TB external HDDs only to realize they either wont read on TV or start throwing weird messages at you sending you on loops with manufacturers .

An early miss-leading answer people had was that "Oh but 2+ TB hard drivers require more power to operate that the TV can't provide , Look at the size of those disks , almost double the 1 TBs" , and despite that sort of answer showing on even reputable firms forums such as Western Digital , Samsung and LG it was entirely misleading and incorrect and is evident that they both (2+ and 1s) would run on laptops with standard USB voltage (I omitted Desktops since some of these have USBs capable of providing various voltage for fast charging smart devices etc) .

I kind of came to the answer years ago on comparing 2 external HDDs a 1 TB and a 2TB , so it seems that the industrial standard of shipping a 1TB was with MBR (A 32 bit Boot Record System and that is the data base where all file names and location of data is stored on disk) over NTFS file system and that of 2+ TB was GPT (A 32 bit Boot Record System that is claimed to be faster and more capable of storing more files than MBR) .

Converting GPT file system into MBR over a 2 TB external HDD is a painless quick procedure , all there is to it is rather download a partition manager such as the trusted free : "Minitool Partition Wizard" and then right click your 2 TB drive from white panel down then choose "Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk" then hitting "Apply" from top left corner .

Result is almost instant surprisingly or would rather take few minutes on filled drives and then the 2 TB drive is TV compatible .

The sad story is this is not achievable with same ease with bigger sizes , you see MBR system can handle only 2 TB partitions (1862.98 GB to be exact which is actual size of 2TB external HDDs) and attempting to convert 2.5+ TB external HDDs might result in instant corruption of file system that may require advanced tools to recover it (Believe it or not "Minitool Partition Wizard" would allow such corrupting conversions with minimal warnings then hands the either : Would you like to format the drive ? or Leave it corrupted as is !) .

There is a way though but is a little iffy , if the drive is new or lightly filled , you might well shrink the partition size to 1862.98 GB (2 TB) and then convert it to MBR then create another partition in free disk space appearing after using GPT file system (A brainless procedure since the creation wizard will suggest it by default) .

The catch is partition 1 has to be the MBR and 2 would be the whatever choice you made , then comes the shock , the TV wont be accessing nor recognizing but partition 1 while partition 2 would only be recognizable by PC (On plugging your external HDD two partition will show now) .

While this doesn't sound like a convenient solution it kind of offer the best of the 2 worlds : Having a large capacity external HDD and yet accessible by TV .

So while this trick might benefit some I am raising the topic as of why is it till date 4K TV manufacturers still ship TVs that would only access MBR partitions , I mean I am defiantly casting the first stone on this one .

Cheers
    *Cool

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 12, 2018
  2. LPoch Win User

External HDD 1.0 TB

I have a Toshiba External 1 TB HDD. It only recognizes 7 GB available memory. Many attempts to format

are not successful. What is the correct procedure to properly format for the full capacity of the drive??

LPoch, Nov 12, 2018
  3. brian1179 Win User
    partitioning 2 TB Hdd

the last question i posted should be ignored, i mean to partition a 2 TB Hdd into 1 TB each but Windows 10 will not let me, why not

brian1179, Nov 12, 2018
  4. CJCerny Win User

Connecting 2 TB+ External HDD to (LCD / LED) TV - Hell Corner

TV Advice: Plasma, LCD or LED?

Technically, there's no such thing as an LED TV. They are "LED lit" LCD TVs. There are edge lit LED LCD's and full LED lit LCD TVs and LCDs that just use cold cathode backlights. The age of the technology is meaningless in this case, so you can throw out that data point.

In general, plasma TVs and full LED lit LCDs have the best contrast and black levels, which makes the colors as vibrant as possible, but each technology has "characteristics" about the picture quality that makes some people prefer one or the other. Find out which camp you are in by checking some out in person and then figure out which features you want. There are way too many makes and models for us to wisely discuss them here. Focus on reviews on sites that review TVs.

CJCerny, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

Connecting 2 TB+ External HDD to (LCD / LED) TV - Hell Corner

1. Connecting 2 TB+ External HDD to (LCD / LED) TV - Hell Corner - Similar Threads - Connecting TB+ External

2. Trying to upgrade OS from 1 tb HDD to 2 tb SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to upgrade OS from 1 tb HDD to 2 tb SSD.: So I'm trying to upgrade my brother's laptop. We got him a RAM and SSD upgrade, but haven't been able to clone the original HDD correctly. Any recommendations for a preferred method? I have a standard docking station and a Dual bay hard drive docking station with a cloning...
  3. Screen saver and LCD TV.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen saver and LCD TV.: I'm running Windows 10 Home and using an 40 inch LCD TV as a monitor which is a good 8/9 years old. Do I still need to use a screensaver? submitted by /u/MrOptiX [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ex7yeo/screen_saver_and_lcd_tv/
  4. New 4TB WD External HDD May Come With Defected USB Cable - Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New 4TB WD External HDD May Come With Defected USB Cable - Hell Corner: There is something I want to hint that might surprise the lot of you , I have lately purchased three 4 TBs hard drive of Western Digital (The non Ultra colorful ones) , after migrating my data to which from various other lower capacity external and internal drives on...
  5. Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner

Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner: **This is an informative post , you can skip it if you are just here to help** I have been caught up with an issue with few gamepads i had that worked just fine in the past but been giving me hell lately one windows 10 , the issue lead me to realize few facts that i want to...
  6. Microsoft Store Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store Hell Corner: I have 2 laptops running windows 10 version 1709 that managed to develop issues almost the same time : Laptop 1 : Lately managed to hide a lot of store apps icons and tiles from start menu but I can still run them from store itself also leaving at the bottom of start...
  7. Seagate 2 TB External HD file info corrupted

Seagate 2 TB External HD file info corrupted: Hi All I am having a bit of an issue with my Seagate 2 TB External HD. I've attached a screenshot which shows what has happened. The name of the drive, all folders and file types are all random characters and I am unsure about the best way to go about recovering my...
  8. Cannot see my ext WD 2 TB HDD

Cannot see my ext WD 2 TB HDD: Ran into this problem transferring media files from my laptop to the WD ext hdd. Both USB 3. "My Book", my 2 TB WD ext HDD I cannot be seen on my laptop nor my media mini pc I found it in Disk Management. It is shown as Disk 2. It has a black streak all the way (full?) It...
  9. 3 tb hdd

3 tb hdd: Hello all, I have just installed my new WD 3TB drive into my system and everything seemed fine. I partitioned and formatted the drive without issue and went ahead loading it with my files etc. All seemed fine until I rebooted my system and now it wont boot up, In fact...
  10. Connecting to external (TV)

Connecting to external (TV): Prior to W10 I could connect with no issues. No my surface pro 2 gets all weird when I connect: display icons and font gets tiny and starts to heat up. Weird *Sad Any help would be appreciated Thnx 11124