Windows 10: Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router

Discus and support Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have two computers (both windows 10) that I need to connect to a router that I have connected to my router. One of the computers connected just fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Patrick1059, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router

I have two computers (both windows 10) that I need to connect to a router that I have connected to my router. One of the computers connected just fine but the other one can not see devices on my network. I have tried many things and nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/Patrick1059
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Patrick1059, Aug 3, 2020
  2. rh535 Win User

New Router with Hard Drive Connected

I am looking at getting a Linksys WRT350N router and a Maxtor 750GB One Touch III from Office Depot. We have 4 computers on the network 1 being wired and the rest wireless. All the computers that are wireless have draft n. But 2 of them our macs. What i want to do is connect the Hard Drive to the router and have it on the network for my parents when they offload photos onto there mac computer and have a backup of them. Will this even work? And what do you thing of the products?

rh535, Aug 3, 2020
  3. zmlc29 Win User
    network and internet

this hard drive is not connected to my computer, it is connected to my wireless router.

after scanning for hardware changes as you suggested in step one, there is no usb hard drive
    listed on my computer, either in the device manager, or in the network list in file manager which includes both computers connected to the router. this computer is recognizing the router, internet, and other computers connected to the router.
    it is not recognizing the hard drive connected tot he wireless router.

I checked my wireless router to see if the usb hard drive is discoverable and verified that it is.

zmlc29, Aug 3, 2020
  4. dawei Win User

Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router

Hard drive swap, different connections

I tried to hook up my old hard drive to a newer mobo, but the hard drive doesn't have the SATA cable (i think that's what it's called). Instead it only has a connection that looks similar to the CDROM data cable.

I found a spot on the mobo to put it and it seemed like it would work, but when i turn on the computer it starts to boot up, then resets after about 10 seconds (well before it boots windows). Then as its booting up after the reset, it does it again at the same place.

It obviously recognizes the drive; if i boot up without it connected at all it stops me after only a few seconds saying there is no hard drive.

But why doesn't it boot up completely?

(by the way this is for a different system than the one i have the specs listed for to the left)

dawei, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router

1. Connecting a computer to a hard drive that is connected to a router - Similar Threads - Connecting computer hard

2. Can't connect to shared drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to shared drive connected to router: I have a TP-Link Archer GX90 gaming router with a Seagate 16TB portable hard drive connected to the router via the USB port. The router recognizes the hard drive and I have set the drive to be shared using the router's interface. I am able to access the drive over the network...
  3. Can't connect to shared drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to shared drive connected to router: I have a TP-Link Archer GX90 gaming router with a Seagate 16TB portable hard drive connected to the router via the USB port. The router recognizes the hard drive and I have set the drive to be shared using the router's interface. I am able to access the drive over the network...
  4. Can't connect to shared drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Accessing a drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a drive connected to router: I have a hard disk connected to my router's USB port. I confirmed that the HD is compatible with the router.My goal is to use this HD as a 'network attached storage' so other computers on the same wireless network can access to HD to add files to it or download anything...
  6. Accessing a drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing a drive connected to router: I have a hard disk connected to my router's USB port. I confirmed that the HD is compatible with the router.My goal is to use this HD as a 'network attached storage' so other computers on the same wireless network can access to HD to add files to it or download anything...
  7. Accessing a drive connected to router

8. Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router

Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router: I have a Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drive connected to my desktop computer by USB. I wanted to connect it instead to my Sky modem-router. Because the router does not have a USB port, I purchased a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and used this to make the connection....
  9. Connecting to the Router

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting to the Router: A recent Windows Update July 2020 has left my laptop automatically connecting to the Internet via the router even at start-up, and even though the option to "Connect Automatically" is in the off position / has not been selected. Sometimes, if I do a "Restart", the machine...
  10. Computer sees the router but there is no connection

Computer sees the router but there is no connection: Computer sees the router but there is no connection - ran diagnostic ... Troubleshooting says 'One or more network protocols are missing on this computer' This is a new computer, first set up. I am . I have a satellite modem connected to a router. This setup has always...