Windows 10: connecting a desktop computer and my surface laptop on the same network. It worked once...

Discus and support connecting a desktop computer and my surface laptop on the same network. It worked once... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; It worked once and now it doesn't. I've hooked up the network before now I can't. It was easy last time. What might be the problem and how do I fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jmk5655, Mar 27, 2020.

1. jmk5655 Win User

connecting a desktop computer and my surface laptop on the same network. It worked once...

It worked once and now it doesn't. I've hooked up the network before now I can't. It was easy last time. What might be the problem and how do I fix it?

:)

jmk5655, Mar 27, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

3. hank1111 Win User
    surface pro 4 cannot see desktop computer on same network

I followed you instructions on My Dell desktop and my surface pro 4 but my surface still does not see my desktop computer. The only change is that now the Surface lists itself on the network.

hank1111, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

connecting a desktop computer and my surface laptop on the same network. It worked once...

Surface Connect to USB-C Adapter for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Source: Announcing availability of the Surface Connect to USB-C Adapter for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Brink, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

1. connecting a desktop computer and my surface laptop on the same network. It worked once... - Similar Threads - connecting desktop computer

2. connecting two computers on the same home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    connecting two computers on the same home network: i have a windows 11 computer and a Windows 10 computer . the win10 computer has four external drives attached to it. i would like to be able to sit at my win11 computer and browse and edit the files on the exernal drives connected to my win10 computer , and also the "D" drive...
  3. connecting two computers on the same home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    connecting two computers on the same home network: i have a windows 11 computer and a Windows 10 computer . the win10 computer has four external drives attached to it. i would like to be able to sit at my win11 computer and browse and edit the files on the exernal drives connected to my win10 computer , and also the "D" drive...
  4. connecting two computers on the same home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't connect two computers on same network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect two computers on same network: Hello.Ever since Microsoft in its ever infinite wisdom, because they think they know what we want got rid of the HOME NETWORK or whatever it was called, and was extremely easy to use, I haven't been able to connect my two computers on the same network. I've tried all the...
  6. Can't connect two computers on same network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect two computers on same network: Hello.Ever since Microsoft in its ever infinite wisdom, because they think they know what we want got rid of the HOME NETWORK or whatever it was called, and was extremely easy to use, I haven't been able to connect my two computers on the same network. I've tried all the...
  7. Using a laptop on the same network as a desktop using same credentials.

Using a laptop on the same network as a desktop using same credentials.: I am trying to connect to access files on my desktop using my laptop on the same network with both pc's using the same microsoft account but, when I try to connect it asks me to enter user credentials to connect. That's the microsoft account I am using on the other pc right?...
  8. My laptop stopped connecting to my desktop on my network

My laptop stopped connecting to my desktop on my network: Hi, I've been able to sync files between my desktop and laptop up until yesterday. I didn't change anything, this started well after the last Windows 10 update, and I have not installed any new programs or make any adjustments to either computer. I tried to do a system...
  9. Connection to PC on same network as my laptop

Connection to PC on same network as my laptop: Hi, I cannot see files on my wifes PC from my laptop. We are both on Windows 1909 mine 64 bits my wife's 32. We are using the same router. We used to be able to see each other files. I can see and use the printer connected to my wife's PC but no files only Users containing...
  10. surface pro 4 cannot see desktop computer on same network

surface pro 4 cannot see desktop computer on same network: I am running windows 10 on the surface and my desktop. I recently upgrade to windows 10 on my desktop. When i was running windows 7 on the desktop my surface saw the desktop and shared files. since the upgrade my surface not longer sees the Desktop computer. It sees my...