Windows 10: Connecting a HP usb printer to hyper-v xp client

Discus and support Connecting a HP usb printer to hyper-v xp client in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi guys, I am trying to connect a printer... and for the life of me can not get this to work, new to vm's and trying to get old tech to get along and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by megaman, Jan 3, 2017.

1. megaman Win User

Connecting a HP usb printer to hyper-v xp client

Hi guys,
    I am trying to connect a printer... and for the life of me can not get this to work, new to vm's and trying to get old tech to get along and play nice with some new tech at work.
    I have a win 10 pro running a hyper-v client of win XP SP3 and trying to connect a usb HP laserjet 1320 to be able to print from the Xp client. (we use software that does not upgrade to win 10 and wont for the for see able future, trying to upgrade without changing software).
    I have seen some instances where people are using a usb-over-ethernet to do this, however I am not sure how that works and do not have a server for this.
    Anyone have any kind of helpful things I can try?
    The printer was the main thing I figured would just plug and play, but I guess it does not see the usb's in hyper -v
    Thanks in advance

:)

megaman, Jan 3, 2017
  2. KMead Win User

Printer sharing Windows 10 and Windows XP

I'm running a virtual XP system under Hyper-V on a Windows 10 machine. I had the same problem, in that I couldn't install a printer on the XP system, getting 'Access Denied' messages even when the printer was directly connected to the Windows 10 host!
    But the work around given in this link works in this situation as well. Thanks for posting it.

KMead, Jan 3, 2017
  3. Hyper-v vs virtual xp in windows 7 professional

Hyper-V was first introduced to client editions of Windows starting with Windows 8 Pro.

Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. Microsoft wanted to bundle Hyper-V with Windows 7 many years ago, but the development time never permitted that.

So they had to wait until Windows 8.

How
    to setup a virtual machine using Hyper-V

Please note your existing Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode will not work in Windows 10. You can review the following as a possible work around if you need to.

http://lifehacker.com/5965889/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8

Andre Da Costa, Jan 3, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

One way round this is to set up printer as a google cloud printer. For xp, you require XPS essential pack

So if pc is not google cloud print compatible, you set up host as a google cloud print server (I use a raspberry pi as a server for one of my printers). Then with vm, you just print to the google cloud printer which beams the print job to cloud and back to host via the server.

cereberus, Jan 3, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    An easy and fast solution is to use Remote Desktop Connection instead of Virtual Machine Connection to connect to Hyper-V XP guest. This way the XP guest can use all host resources, including printer.

Kari, Jan 3, 2017
  6. megaman Win User
    I gave this a shot, but my usb hosted wifi is not passed as well, puts me in a circle, without internet access passed to the client PC I can't use the cloud to print

Great idea though, something I had not thought of

megaman, Jan 3, 2017
  7. megaman Win User
    I had come across people mentioning this as a solution, do you know a good tutorial on how to get this set up?
    I had tried earlier and could not manage to "find" the host computer, clearly I am doing something wrong

megaman, Jan 3, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Browse down to title Enabling Remote Desktop on a Computer Running Windows XP Professional in this Microsoft TechNet support article: Configuring Remote Desktop

Remote Desktop Connection tutorial at Ten Forums, general for all Windows versions: RDC - Connect Remotely to your Windows 10 PC

Kari, Jan 3, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Mo
    It worked fine when I did it but maybe that because my printer was connected to host via WiFi not USB.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Connecting a HP usb printer to hyper-v xp client - Similar Threads - Connecting usb printer

2. XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity: Hi Folks, I am running Hyper V on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to run an XP virtual machine within Hyper V. All is running but the network has limited or no connectivity, so i cannot connect to my local network or map the drive to the server. I have the Network adapter...
  3. Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V: I'm running Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V. How do I share files between XP and the c drive on my physical computer? This was so easy with VPC 2007. 29817
  4. No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest

No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest: I have an old DOS program that runs fine in a console window under native Windows XP. I've setup a shortcut on the XP machines and selected full screen. When the application runs it opens full screen. On a Windows 10 with a Hyper-V instance of Windows XP the application is...
  5. Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?

Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?: Hi, I just created a virtual machine with Windows XP. Now I'd like to get the sound working in the virtual machine. But I can't see how. Can anyone help, please? 30409
  6. how to open hyper-v's vms networks under sep client?

how to open hyper-v's vms networks under sep client?: How to open hyper-v's vms networks under sep client? I've installed sep client on windows 10 x64 pro, and give hyper-'s external network to hyper-v's virtual machine centos 7 x64 and hyper-'s internal network with bridge to hyper-v's virtual machine windows 8.1....
  7. Hyper-V Connection Lost

Hyper-V Connection Lost: I am having trouble establishing a stable connection to a Windows 10 VM and the issue appears when I activate enhanced mode. The error message that I'm getting quite often is the following: "The connection was lost because another user connected to the virtual machine." There...
  8. Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V

Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V: Hello Everyone! Thank you a head of time for you time and efforts! THE QUESTION: How do I fix my display drivers in XP in my win10 Hyper-v virtual machine? WHAT HAPPENED: Installed XP in Hyper-V (Win10). For some reason now the display drivers are not installing....
  9. Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.: I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on those, both on 98 and XP....
  10. Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem: Hi Guys, Im new to the Windows 10 world, I am working with a small company with very outdated software...and hardware for that matter. I am trying to upgrade a PC to a new Desktop running windows 10 pro, that was the easy part. All the other old systems are running Windows...
Tags: