Windows 10: Connecting a Powered USB extension hub to a PC Properly?.

Discus and support Connecting a Powered USB extension hub to a PC Properly?. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; To help with powering my hotas flight controller I bought a powered USB 3.0 hub like the one in the link, 4 Port Powered USB HUB 3.0 High Speed USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by saltyseadog, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Connecting a Powered USB extension hub to a PC Properly?.

To help with powering my hotas flight controller I bought a powered USB 3.0 hub like the one in the link, 4 Port Powered USB HUB 3.0 High Speed USB Splitter Extension For PC Laptop UK | eBay
    It arrived today and I connected it to my Windows 10 PC using the supplied flat cable from a USB 3.0 port on my PC to the device and plugged in the power adapter to the device and then to the mains but it doesn't seem to be working, it is powered as the lights are on. I tried to connect a couple of usb devices to it but the PC is not finding them. I checked hardware and sound > devices and printers and there is yellow triangle with a ! in it. I went through the process but it didn't fix it. I checked in device drivers and found a warning on one of the USB3.0 inputs so deleted it and restarted my PC thinking that would solve it but no such luck. According to the info it is plug and play so I am probably missing something simple but cannot seem to figure it out hence the post.

:)

saltyseadog, Aug 1, 2020

2. USB HUB

Hi,

Incompatible USB hub driver is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. We recommend uninstalling the USB Root Hub driver and see if it helps. Follow the stepes below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand.
    • Right-click USB Root Hub, then click Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab.
    • Click Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer.
    Note: Restarting your computer will automatically reinstall a generic driver for your computer. Also, we suggest connecting your USB hub while performing the steps.

If the issue still persists, let's disable the USB selective suspend settings thru Power Options to resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Type Power Options in the search box, then press Enter.
    • Locate USB settings > USB selective suspend settings.
    • Select Disable.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Fortitude Win User
    insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub?

My laptop has too few USB 3.0 ports for my purposes and therefore I use USB hubs to connect external devices to it. In fact I have two externally powered USB hubs of seven ports each connected to the laptop.

On one of them I have four (individually powered) external drives connected to it, my keyboard, a mouse and a printer. This hub presents no problems. However, the other one which is used to power some airflow fans under the laptop (not sure if it's really useful) does not seem to have enough power when I connect a 512 GB external SSD drive to it. The drive keeps connecting to and disconnecting from the laptop.

If I were to change the USB hub that presents this problem can you suggest what I should look out for in buying a new hub?

Fortitude, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Connecting a Powered USB extension hub to a PC Properly?.

USB HUB

I think I solved the problem. I had a usb extension usb cable from my pc to the usb hub, I removed it and so far my usb devices are not disconnecting and reconnecting. Thanks for the suggestions.

Gkaratzias, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Connecting a Powered USB extension hub to a PC Properly?.

1. Connecting a Powered USB extension hub to a PC Properly?. - Similar Threads - Connecting Powered USB

2. Using a monitor connected to a DynaDock powered USB hub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using a monitor connected to a DynaDock powered USB hub: This will take some background to properly frame my question, so please bear with me.First off, I live on a boat. Thus, I have some space constraints on where I can put things. I have 3 Intel NUCs a new one with Win 10, and 2 Win 7 ones and a NAS on a wired network. These are...
  3. Trouble recognizing devices connected to a powered USB hub with switches

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble recognizing devices connected to a powered USB hub with switches: I've a Dell XPS-15 with a Sabrent USB hub with individual switches connected to a Schiit Fulla DAC/Amp. My computer doesn't recognize the device and throws an error after waking up from sleep. I have to disconnect the hub and reconnect it to get the DAC to be recognized and...
  4. Turn on USB-C powered Hub or connect USB stick to it and machine reboots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turn on USB-C powered Hub or connect USB stick to it and machine reboots: Hi folks I have a very decent setup, latest 2004 win 10, 5950x, Asus Rog Dark Hero, nvmes, fresh reformat etc When ever I turn on the powered USB hub or copy files to a stick I have put into the hub the system reboots. I have used this device many times before and don't...
  5. USB Hub - Powered or not?

USB Hub - Powered or not?: I've run out of USB Ports on my PC, so I'm looking at a 4 port Hub. My question is this: Do I need a powered Hub or non-powered Hub? Devices to be connected to the Hub are Mouse, Keyboard, USB Headphones and phone charging via USB cable. Thanks. 164695
  6. USB hub not working with active extension cable

USB hub not working with active extension cable: I have a Sabrent 10-Port 60W USB 3.0 Hub that is in my basement and I ran a MutecPower 16 Feet Active USB Extension Cable 3.0 Male to Female with A Extension chipset Signal Booster to the room above where the hub sits. The output on the hub is a usb type b and on the other...
  7. insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub?

insufficient power when external SSD is connected to USB hub?: My laptop has too few USB 3.0 ports for my purposes and therefore I use USB hubs to connect external devices to it. In fact I have two externally powered USB hubs of seven ports each connected to the laptop. On one of them I have four (individually powered) external drives...
  8. Windows10 - USB HUB Power Management

Windows10 - USB HUB Power Management: Hi, I've seen the problem same Jeff mentioned below on the latest Windows10 version when I plug USB flash drive to the HUB that use USB2412 chip. (No issue found if direct plug to the host PC). You can see post from Jeff on below link: One solution that I've tried and...
  9. Powered USB Hub

Powered USB Hub: Could someone wise please recommend a quality 4 port v3.0 powered USB hub with a UK mains plug PSU? I need it for keyboard, mouse, printer and Saitek X52 Pro joystick - the latter will not work unpowered with the rest. I've had a devil of a time trying to find Best Buy...
  10. Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub

Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub: I have two powered USB 2.0 hard drives that I plan to plug into a powered USB 3.0 hub. I know I won't get the USB 3.0 speed, but should the I also connect each drive's power connection? Thank you for your help. 96467