Windows 10: Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater

Discus and support Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear Community, I am having problem connecting my external HDD as Network drive. I managed to connect my pen drive as network drive on the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KP_257, Jan 17, 2021.

1. KP_257 Win User

Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater

Dear Community,

I am having problem connecting my external HDD as Network drive.

I managed to connect my pen drive as network drive on the same router but when i replace Pen drive with my External drive I get error message saying as follows,

Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater 78d874de-2597-414e-b0bf-4019fdb9e86d?upload=true.png

My Pen drive has FAT32 and External HDD has NTFS data format.

i have already applied solution from these topics,

from

Naresh_K

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-update-to-windows-10-home-64-ver-1809-local/90d70c0a-d012-44d9-b8ca-2f7ee9a0503f

Shafeeq_Khan

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-device-or-resource-pc-name-is-not-set-up-to/3cab72ed-9fbe-4185-8f6b-ac18195bfa90#:~:text=Step%201%3A%20Open%20Control%20Panel,Sharing%20SMB%2DIn.

but these did not work out with external HDD.

Can someone help me with solution?

Thanks you in advance.

Best regards,

Keyur

:)

KP_257, Jan 17, 2021
  2. thira Win User

Backup to external HDD on network

My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router by ethernet. A 4Tb external HDD is connected to the Netgear router by USB. This drive is mapped to the network in windows 10.

When I try to use Windows 10 to mirror image onto the external HDD on the network, Windows 10 sees the drive and begins the backup but fails shortly after starting.

Any help to do a backup to the network HDD would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for the anticipated reply.

Happy New Year!!

thira, Jan 17, 2021
  3. mark0s Win User
    backup on external hdd on router

i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?

mark0s, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater

Help needed with simple wired network

Step one- Connect all PC's to router, and then the router to the modem. PC's go to router by the ports labeled "1-4" on the back of the router. WAN port goes to router. Power up all network equipment, and then systems.
    Step two- Power on the computer connected to port one. Go into router settings at 192.168.0.1 and configure internet, dyndns, firewall, etc.
    Step three- Go to "network set up wizard" in windows. (Network places- network set up wizard). The rest is self explanatory.
    Step four- right click on each drive and printer you want to share, and then configure sharing preferences. Should be easy enough.
    Step five- right click my computer, and the select "map network drive". Using the network address for each piece of hardware you shared, assign network drive letters.

Congratulations, you have a fully operational network. Happy Gaming! *Toast :toast:

zekrahminator, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater

1. Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater - Similar Threads - Connecting external HDD

2. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  3. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  4. Connecting External Hard Drive to Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting External Hard Drive to Network: I would like to have an external hard drivecontinuously connected to my home network. My router does not have a USB port and I do not have any PC that is connected 100% of the time to the home network. my PCs are running Win 11 Home editionIs there a hardware device I should...
  5. Connecting External Hard Drive to Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting External Hard Drive to Network: I would like to have an external hard drivecontinuously connected to my home network. My router does not have a USB port and I do not have any PC that is connected 100% of the time to the home network. my PCs are running Win 11 Home editionIs there a hardware device I should...
  6. Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router: I have a Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drive connected to my desktop computer by USB. I wanted to connect it instead to my Sky modem-router. Because the router does not have a USB port, I purchased a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and used this to make the connection....
  7. backup on external hdd on router

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup on external hdd on router: i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?...
  8. Network Repeater Clash with Router?

Network Repeater Clash with Router?: I have a problem with a network in a residential property. We have a BT Home Hub and a TP Link WA730 RE which is used as a range extender to repeat the signal. Generally, the solution works fine, it drops out occasionally, but works fine for Ipads, Apple TV, Phones, android...
  9. Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Large Size External HDD repeatedly ejects and connects by itself: Hi all. I have been using external HDDs with computers for many years. I have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB ones (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Transcend etc) and all work perfectly. Recently, I purchased a 4TB drive (Transcend). This one has a strange problem. It worked fine for a couple of...
  10. How to assess the hdd connected to the router?

How to assess the hdd connected to the router?: I have a external hdd which is connected to a tplink modem via usb. Currently can assess the hdd through the lan after I assigned the drive in "my computer'. My question is how do I get the address for the hdd using normal browser? (eg: trying to connect to the usb external...