Windows 10: Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC

Discus and support Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I just bought a new X201 laptop off ebay and wanted to use it to access my main PC (a MacBook also running Windows 10 Pro) through the Hyper-V Manager.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by lx07, Feb 12, 2017.

1. lx07 Win User

Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC

I just bought a new X201 laptop off ebay and wanted to use it to access my main PC (a MacBook also running Windows 10 Pro) through the Hyper-V Manager. That is to use the Hyper-V manager on the X201 to access not just the local PC but to start/stop and connect directly to the VMs on the other PC.

I'm not on a domain (in which case it would be trivial). I found a couple of links but they were not complete or didn't exactly work on Windows 10.

Hyper-V 2012 R2 and Windows 10 Incompatible? | [H]ard|Forum
    Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server

In any case this is what you need to do...

I did all these steps on both the server (MACBOOK) and client (X201) as I wanted it to work both ways. Both are running 10 Pro in my case but they need not necessarily - you only need Hyper-V Management tools not the Hyper-V Platform on the client.

1. Enable Anonymous Login in Component Services - without this, you can't connect to your Hyper-V server if you're not in a domain. If you are on a domain it is easy - you can just pick another server in the manager.

dcomcnfg -> computers -> my computer -> properties, "COM SECURITY" tab, "ACCESS PERMISSIONS", select "edit limits", sect "ANONYMOUS LOGON", and tick "remote access" under ALLOW

2. Add your Server (MACBOOK in my case) into hosts file on your client (X201 in my case). Hyper-V looks at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. It will not work if you don't add it here if you are not on a domain.

3. Open up the 3 "Remote Event Log Management" ports on the firewall.

Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC [​IMG]

4. Add the server as trusted host using powershell Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> set-item WSMAN:\localhost\client\trustedhosts -value MACBOOK -concatenate WinRM Security Configuration. This command modifies the TrustedHosts list for the WinRM client. The computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated. The client might send credential information to these computers. Are you sure that you want to modify this list? [Y] Yes [N] No Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"): Y PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] 5. Add the credentials of a remote user (I think it must be Admin user)...

Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> cmdkey /add:MACBOOK /user:hali /pass:xxxxxxxxxxxx CMDKEY: Credential added successfully. PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] 6. Then configure WinRM:

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>winrm quickconfig WinRM is not set up to receive requests on this machine. The following changes must be made: Start the WinRM service. Set the WinRM service type to delayed auto start. Make these changes [y/n]? y WinRM has been updated to receive requests. WinRM service type changed successfully. WinRM service started. WinRM is not set up to allow remote access to this machine for management. The following changes must be made: Enable the WinRM firewall exception. Configure LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to grant administrative rights remotely to local users. Make these changes [y/n]? y WinRM has been updated for remote management. WinRM firewall exception enabled. Configured LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to grant administrative rights remotely to local users. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] 7. Then (and careful this is case sensitive)

Code: C:\Windows\system32>winrm set winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts="MACBOOK"} Client NetworkDelayms = 5000 URLPrefix = wsman AllowUnencrypted = false Auth Basic = true Digest = true Kerberos = true Negotiate = true Certificate = true CredSSP = false DefaultPorts HTTP = 5985 HTTPS = 5986 TrustedHosts = MACBOOK C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] And there you go - my X201 can see my MacBook *Smile

Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC [​IMG]

I can now start/stop and connect directly to VMs from anywhere. Cool huh?

Hope this is useful to someone - VMWare is much easier for this sort of thing but at least Hyper-V is free.

:)

2. Connect to Hyper-V on Win Server 2012 from Windows10 client

Hello, I have really big issue to connect to my hyper-v installed on Windows Server 2012 core, I was using it on my laptop as always, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, I am no longer able to connect. I added Windows feature Hyper-V manager, I tried to
    add hyper-v to trusted host because it is not part of domain. still no luck, When I try to connect from windows 8.1 pc with the same credentials and same address and on the same network it works well.

I know there is some new version of hyper-V manager in windows10 , version 6.3 but I need to manage these servers without upgrading to Windows Server 2012 R2.

I am still getting errors like Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and you are authorized to connect to server. As I mentioned above, I have rights to connect because it works from another PC.

what else can I try to solve this problem ?

Thank you , Best regards Lucas

LukasPorubcan, Feb 12, 2017
  3. Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

The Hyper-V Manager is under Windows Administrative Tools on your Start Menu.

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Simply click on the Hyper-V Manager icon under Windows Administrative Tools.. That starts the Hyper-V Manager.

Then in the top right of the Manager page you will see "Connect to Server." Click that and choose "Local Computer" for the server. The "Action" pane (the right side of the Manager page) will then populate and you can proceed.

Cbarnhorst, Feb 12, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

VMWAre Workstation 12 is free for personal use.

cereberus, Feb 12, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Workstation Player you mean?

You can not connect to a remote server and control their VM's. You would need Workstation Pro which is €250 (I mean USD). That is a bit much for home use.

I'm not anti VMWare at all (I bought their Fusion product as I have OSX things as well) but Hyper-V is free and there are many people here who have more than one PC with Windows 10 Pro who use Hyper-V.

It is very difficult to use Hyper-V to control other servers if you are not on a domain - thus my post.

I was wondering if anyone was interested. I'd write a tutorial if they were but it could be it is only me...

6. pparks1 Win User
    This has always been a gripe of mine with Hyper-V. It is unnecessarily hard to manage. The vmware vsphere offerings are simple. But like you said, vmware often comes at a cost.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Connecting Hyper-V Manager to another PC - Similar Threads - Connecting Hyper Manager

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V Manager Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Manager Error: I am trying to start a new VM in my Hyper-v and I am getting the error "Data supplied is of wrong type.0x8007065D. When I search this issue all I find is indfo dealing with phones even though I put in search for Hypervisor error. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?...
  4. Unable to connect to vm's in Hyper V Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to connect to vm's in Hyper V Manager: Please help, i have installed hyper v manager and created virtual machines .While i click the connect option and it loads for a 5 seconds and then disappears . I have tried vmconnect too also , but same result. Tried Hyper V Quick create and it is crashing . While i check...
  5. Hyper-V Connection Lost

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Connection Lost: I am having trouble establishing a stable connection to a Windows 10 VM and the issue appears when I activate enhanced mode. The error message that I'm getting quite often is the following: "The connection was lost because another user connected to the virtual machine." There...
  6. Manage remote Hyper-V machine

Manage remote Hyper-V machine: I have 2 win 10 pro and considering this setup: Desktop with hyper-v to tun virtual machine laptop with hyper-v management what i can now achieve is connect to the desktop with RDP then launch hyper-v management in the desktop; using the laptop hyper-v management...
  7. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  8. Virtual program not connecting but shows in Hyper-V manager

Virtual program not connecting but shows in Hyper-V manager: I installed virtual XP on Win 10 Pro. When trying to open it in Hyper-V Manager it fails to connect even though it shows in the manager small box that it loaded XP and was ready for use. According to SystemInfo my AMD-Gigbyte computer supports all the requirements for...
  9. Hyper-V Manager not available

Hyper-V Manager not available: Hi there, 1. I installed the Hyper-V features (tickmarked all 4 options) and rebooted my system. (My system did some installation, updates etc) 2. After the reboot i can confirm that the hyper-v folders in "C:\Program Files\Hyper-V" appeared. 3. Unfortunately i can not...
  10. Hyper-V Manager won't connect to local computer (error message)

Hyper-V Manager won't connect to local computer (error message): System specs are below. Virtualization is turned on in BIOS. Hyper-V is installed. When I start Hyper-V Manager it's not connected to a server. I click Connect to Server->Local Computer and get the error message (see below). I can see none of the Hyper-V services are...
Tags: