Windows 10: Connecting monitor to desktop

Discus and support Connecting monitor to desktop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am sorry if this is a basic question. I am looking to get a new desktop machine and waiting for machines to come out with the new OS pre installed. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Scottyboy99, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Connecting monitor to desktop

I am sorry if this is a basic question. I am looking to get a new desktop machine and waiting for machines to come out with the new OS pre installed. I have had laptop machines for so long now where you don't need to worry about monitor connections. But with the new machine it totally confuses me how a monitor should connect to the actual desktop machine. DVI, HDMI, VGA??? I know HDMI 1080 is what we want displayed but how should I connect. The gpu I am going to look at is the GTX 980. It looks like it has a myriad of connections including HDMI, DVI etc. so what lead should I be looking to use? HDMI to HDMI? DVI to HDMI? I just wonder what the normal way is?

cheers Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Jul 9, 2015
  2. IMMichael Win User

connecting two monitor to lenovo desktop

Original Title: two monitors

I like to connect two monitors to my Lenovo desktop. One regular monitor connected through the VGA cable and one Tv connected with an HDMI cable. Is this the way to go? I don't want to buy the HDMI cable only to find out that I should have used a splitter
    etc. Thank you for your attention

IMMichael, Jul 9, 2015
  3. IMMichael Win User
    connecting two monitor to lenovo desktop

You are absolutely right, I don't want to mirror the first monitor. So I guess I will connect the monitor with the HDMI outlet to the HDMI on the computer and the Monitor with the VGA outlet to the VGA on the Computer?

IMMichael, Jul 9, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Connecting monitor to desktop

I would go HDMI to HDMI.. best resolution.

BunnyJ, Jul 9, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I don't know what the current "normal" is.

VGA is the old analog standard, not optimal for current digital monitors.

DVI comes in a variety of flavors, but I imagine most people use the digital ones. HDMI is purely digtal, as is DisplayPort.

I use DisplayPort, because I have a (cheap) UHD (3820X2160) monitor. To get a 60 Hz frame rate with it, I more or less have to use DP. There is a newer HDMI standard that supports UHD at 60 Hz, but I'm not sure that either the 980 or the monitor (Samsung U28D590D) have one.

Cheap monitors may not have a DP connector, but you probably don't want to pair a cheap monitor with a GTX 980.

bobkn, Jul 9, 2015
  6. Thanks for the answers guys. I guess I'll look to connect using hdmi cable from the hdmi connector out on the Gtx 980 to the hdmi in on the monitor. Another thing puzzles me though. Audio. I probably will get a iiyama monitor which has built in speakers as part of the desktop order. How do I make these work? Will the sound come through the hdmi connection? I don't really understand if a gpu routes the sound through the hdmi connection too. On the desktop I was just planning to utilise the motherboards on board audio - do I have to make another physical connection to the monitor for sound? I am sorry it's prob basic stuff but many years of gaming laptops where audio and visual are all built in one case has made it tough relating to a new desktop setup. I just want 1900x1080 resolution and reasonable sound coming through the monitor in built speakers. Unfortunately I don't really have the room for a 7.1 speaker setup

Scottyboy99, Jul 12, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    HDMI carries sound as well as video. The nVidia drivers include digital audio drivers.

I've never used the capability, but it ought to work.

bobkn, Jul 12, 2015
  8. Connecting monitor to desktop

Excellent, thank you. Just out of interest how do you connect. Do you have separate speakers or use your monitors?

Scottyboy99, Jul 12, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    Separate speakers (including a subwoofer) for me. Not audiophile gear, though.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Connecting monitor to desktop

1. Connecting monitor to desktop - Similar Threads - Connecting monitor desktop

2. Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.: I have the same issue described here I have a Lenovo laptop with win 10 on ithttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-limited-connection-when-i-connect-an-external/b80a6691-637e-4649-ac01-b87e94ba2c29Changing the channel to 1, 6 or 11 and reducing the...
  3. Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.: I have the same issue described here I have a Lenovo laptop with win 10 on ithttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-limited-connection-when-i-connect-an-external/b80a6691-637e-4649-ac01-b87e94ba2c29Changing the channel to 1, 6 or 11 and reducing the...
  4. Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Desktop Monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Monitors: Does anyone know if there's a Windows compatible monitor that has the glossy surface, preferably 27 inches? All I see are matte screens, but these don't have the image quality I'm looking for. It seems that only phones, laptops and tablets have these screens. I know about the...
  6. Desktop Monitors

Desktop Monitors: Does anyone know if there's a Windows compatible monitor that has the glossy surface, preferably 27 inches? All I see are matte screens, but these don't have the image quality I'm looking for. It seems that only phones, laptops and tablets have these screens. I know about the...
  7. Desktop Monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Connecting second monitor to my desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting second monitor to my desktop: I'm having trouble connecting a second monitor too my desktop I only have 1 HDMI port and 1 VGA port and I tried using a VGA and HDMI adapter but I only got a black screen on my second monitor. I could see that it at least recognized something was going on but it was very...
  9. Remote Desktop app NOT Connection dual monitor

Remote Desktop app NOT Connection dual monitor: Hey how do I use dual monitor for Remote Desktop app NOT Remote Desktop Connection. Im on a PC running Windows 10 home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-app-not-connection-dual-monitor/124b215c-3ec6-426e-8981-51d0896c0b2c
  10. Microsoft Remote Desktop APP (NOT Connection!) Multiple Monitors

Microsoft Remote Desktop APP (NOT Connection!) Multiple Monitors: Just switched to Windows Server 2016 Standard implementing RDS. We want remote users to be able to use Timezone redirection and enabled it in Group Policy. It does not work with the Remote Desktop Connection so after hours of trying we tried the Microsoft Remote Desktop APP....