Windows 10: Connecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive

Discus and support Connecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had a SSD (E:) and a Windows drive (C:) before resetting my computer. These were connected and had the same names of users (Admin, MyName, Public),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by clalgudi, Jan 1, 2019.

1. clalgudi Win User

Connecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive

I had a SSD (EConnecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive :) and a Windows drive (CConnecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive :) before resetting my computer. These were connected and had the same names of users (Admin, MyName, Public), and the actual SSD was functioning with the drive. I just reset my computer (using safestart) and the SSD (now DConnecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive :) has still maintained the previous data and has the previous users from the computer (Admin, MyName, Public). However, the Windows drive (CConnecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive :) has the user names OtherName and Public. I cannot transfer the files from one drive to another, and the drives aren't connected. Does anyone know how to connect these drives?

:)

clalgudi, Jan 1, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jan 1, 2019
  3. WesKlatt Win User
    Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, Jan 1, 2019
  4. dawei Win User

Hard drive swap, different connections

I tried to hook up my old hard drive to a newer mobo, but the hard drive doesn't have the SATA cable (i think that's what it's called). Instead it only has a connection that looks similar to the CDROM data cable.

I found a spot on the mobo to put it and it seemed like it would work, but when i turn on the computer it starts to boot up, then resets after about 10 seconds (well before it boots windows). Then as its booting up after the reset, it does it again at the same place.

It obviously recognizes the drive; if i boot up without it connected at all it stops me after only a few seconds saying there is no hard drive.

But why doesn't it boot up completely?

(by the way this is for a different system than the one i have the specs listed for to the left)

dawei, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Connecting old SSD to a reset Windows drive - Similar Threads - Connecting old SSD

2. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build: I recently bought a brand new PC, and thought it would be good to add my old SSD to it. When the system booted up for the first time, it somehow reverted back to the old windows files were exactly where they were etc, with windows still in the old drive.I would like to ask a...
  3. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build: I recently bought a brand new PC, and thought it would be good to add my old SSD to it. When the system booted up for the first time, it somehow reverted back to the old windows files were exactly where they were etc, with windows still in the old drive.I would like to ask a...
  4. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. old ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    old ssd: My Dell is dead got new Dell and saved old ssd. Got a ssd to usb cable and hooked it up and nothing happend . How do I get it to work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-ssd/86599fdd-8f6f-44cb-9ad4-42f077eec063
  6. How do I connect a new SSD to computer to clone old SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I connect a new SSD to computer to clone old SSD?: I have a Dell Precision 5510 with a 512 GB SSD. I have ordered a new 1 TB SSD from Dell, on which I want to clone my 512 GB drive. I'm using EaseUS software for the cloning operation. I've contacted Dell and made sure I have the correct SSD on order. I have never done this...
  7. Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.: [ATTACH] So i just bought an SSD for my PC and I heard that it was a good idea to move your windows to the SSD, so I started looking up how, downloaded AOMEI backupper, backed up my drives and pressed the system clone function on the program. after an hour, the process...
  8. M2 won't boot if old SSD drive removed!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M2 won't boot if old SSD drive removed!: I upgraded my motherboard from Intel to a Ryzen and decided to do a cleanup of my drives as well. I still had my old SSD 120G which I no longer use so I formatted it then removed it as I wanted to upgrade the MD later that week! Next morning tried to boot and nothing not even...
  9. Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.: Long story short, I need to clone the content of my old machine's sata SSD into my new machine's nvme SSD so I can continue using my current installation without losing my software, settings, personal files etc. I have a clone of my drive on another SSD at the moment for...
  10. Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connect NVMe SSD to old desktop: Hi I have an old 2013ish desktop rig, which still serves me well for office and multimedia purposes and I have a new NVMe SSD drive primarily seen in use with new notebooks but for now I would like to use it in my desktop. I do not have the required slot as far as I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to connect to an old lite-on it ssd drive