Windows 10: Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket

Discus and support Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. My ADSL router/modem is in the lounge and is connected to a phone socket there. My PC is in the bedroom and I have a nano USB adapter for wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dortmunder, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket

Hi. My ADSL router/modem is in the lounge and is connected to a phone socket there. My PC is in the bedroom and I have a nano USB adapter for wifi connection.

I've been looking into Powerline kits and a thought occurred to me: there's an unused phone socket in my bedroom. Given that all the phone sockets are for the same line, is the one in my bedroom any use to me e.g. can I wire my PC to the bedroom phone socket?

My thanks to anyone prepared to clarify this for me.

:)

dortmunder, Dec 16, 2018
  2. Undead46 Win User

[FS][US]   Undead's Sell Shop - RAM, Routers, PC Cards, Cell Phones, and More!

Updated: Added Routers, PCS Cards, and a Cell Phone to my selling list.

Updated 2: Added 2 more routers, another cell phone, and a PSP.

Undead46, Dec 16, 2018
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Dec 16, 2018
  4. JBG123 Win User

Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket

Using a router to connect PC with Ethernet

Their is only one phone jack where a modem can be placed in our house and it is to complicated to get Ethernet from the modem up to my computer. I can still connect with wireless internet but I want to be able to use Ethernet. The modem is a all in one (router+modem). If I buy a router and place it in my room can it connect to the all in one modem without using a phone jack (Just plugging it into the power outlet) alowing me to connect the router to the PC using Ethernet?

JBG123, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket

1. Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket - Similar Threads - Connecting Router using

2. PC is hardwired in no connection to router

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC is hardwired in no connection to router: I have multiple devices set up on my network, however this one PC will not connect for some reason. It was working before on an old network, however now it will not connect at all, help....
  3. PC is hardwired in no connection to router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is hardwired in no connection to router: I have multiple devices set up on my network, however this one PC will not connect for some reason. It was working before on an old network, however now it will not connect at all, help....
  4. PC is hardwired in no connection to router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer USB Socket connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer USB Socket connection: I am having issues with my USB ports affecting mainly USB Memory Sticks and my Wacom. If I plug anything into any USB port after I have started my computer, it does not come on screen. On plugging and item into USB port the normal pick-up sound is made and Device Manager...
  6. Issues connecting phone and PC using Your Phone app.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues connecting phone and PC using Your Phone app.: I'm using a Surface Pro 7 with Samsung Note 10+. The connection worked fine when I first got my PC. At some point I got a message saying to make sur my PC and phone were connected to the same WIFI connection, which they are. The only thing that fixed it is a factory reset of...
  7. Connected pc invisible on router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected pc invisible on router: Hi, there are several devices that are regularly connected at differnt times on my home network, but one pc which doesn't show even though it is connected. No deliberate attempt to hide it has been made, and we can see no reason for it being hidden. It recently reappeared...
  8. Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?: Hi. My brother in law has asked me if I can install broadband in his shed, he has shown me photos of the wired sockets he has but he is unsure what they are and I can't tell for sure from that pic. Could you tell me if that socket in the photo is for a ethernet plug or a...
  9. No internet connection using a new router

No internet connection using a new router: Hello! I bought a new Netgear router since the old one was giving me some issues. I connected it up, did everything with my ssid and password & such, and tried to use it. I discovered that the wifi is working great but my desktop is connected to the router via ethernet and...
  10. Tenda router configuration using phone.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tenda router configuration using phone.: Hello ! First of all,I'm sorry I'm posting this thread in this category,or better said,on this forum,but I didn't know where to go,and it's the only forum that I know for hardware/devices/software problems,and where people are really helpful.I'm saying that because my problem...