Windows 10: Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.

Discus and support Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently found the need to "reset" Windows 10 after several years of operation. In doing so I lost the connection to a backup drive connected to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StephMorris, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.

I recently found the need to "reset" Windows 10 after several years of operation. In doing so I lost the connection to a backup drive connected to my router. When I attempt to access the router directly I'm told that I have no internet access, which is not the case, nor can I see other computers or devices on the network.

Any suggestions for solution to this issue will be appreciated.

:)

StephMorris, Feb 14, 2020

2. Is it possible to share network drives to 2 different routers?

Hey there jaduk,

Yes, that should work. Typically this is called a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and, besides the standalone NAS devices, it is essentially a storage drive connected to the network, most often through the router. Once connected to the router, it is only a matter
    of settings on the router's UI that you configure those drives to be shared across the network.

Now, if you are planning on connecting the drive to the switch, it depends if the switch itself can support that. Are you using USB or Ethernet connection to connect the external drives to the switch?

Captain_WD, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Jkle Win User
    Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router

Hoping someone can help me with this...scanning to external hard drive attached to router.

My setup:

Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 9010 (purchased from Dell's refurbished site, if that means anything)
    Asus RT-AC3200 router
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 printer
    Printer is connected via ethernet from switch (cannot be attached by USB cable as location is on opposite side of house)

I can scan to desktop, email, print wireless from laptop, any iPhone/iPad.

I've mapped the network hard drive. I originally noticed I had some permission issues, which I still think may be the case, and even though my user account is listed as Administrator, the only way I could change any kind of permissions anywhere seemed to come by way going to CMD and entering

Net user administrator /active:yes

then changing permissions from this account.

One thing I noticed last night was that when I looked at permissions on the mapped hard drive was that it still says "Special Permissions" only. I change it, hit Apply, and the check marks disappear, changing nothing. I'm not sure which account I was signed into at that moment.

On router, I've enabled share with read/write permissions on all folders within the external hard drive, enabled sharing on media server, FTP share...I'm trying anything and everything with my limited IT knowledge.

I'm at a loss as Asus techs weren't successful in helping resolve issue and a friend in IT logged in remotely to check to it out to no avail, but the friend only could spare about 10 minutes.

Anyone have some thoughts or suggestions please?

4. Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.

1. Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router. - Similar Threads - Connecting shared drive

2. Can't connect to shared drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to shared drive connected to router: I have a TP-Link Archer GX90 gaming router with a Seagate 16TB portable hard drive connected to the router via the USB port. The router recognizes the hard drive and I have set the drive to be shared using the router's interface. I am able to access the drive over the network...
  3. Can't connect to shared drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to shared drive connected to router: I have a TP-Link Archer GX90 gaming router with a Seagate 16TB portable hard drive connected to the router via the USB port. The router recognizes the hard drive and I have set the drive to be shared using the router's interface. I am able to access the drive over the network...
  4. Can't connect to shared drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Accessing a drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a drive connected to router: I have a hard disk connected to my router's USB port. I confirmed that the HD is compatible with the router.My goal is to use this HD as a 'network attached storage' so other computers on the same wireless network can access to HD to add files to it or download anything...
  6. Accessing a drive connected to router

Accessing a drive connected to router: I have a hard disk connected to my router's USB port. I confirmed that the HD is compatible with the router.My goal is to use this HD as a 'network attached storage' so other computers on the same wireless network can access to HD to add files to it or download anything...
  7. Accessing a drive connected to router

8. Entering Credentials When Accessing Router Attached Drive

Entering Credentials When Accessing Router Attached Drive: Greetings,I have just purchased a new router. I attached an SSD to the router to use as network storage. The router is from Asus. I have setup aiCloud to access the storage from outside my network. I cannot use the FTP host created in the aiDisk router dashboard, as the...
  9. Connecting USB to Router to share file's

Connecting USB to Router to share file's: I would like to occasionally share file's like TV shows on my home network . I don't need a Nas as I do this very infrequently. My router does NOT have a USB port. Is it possible to connect a USB to my router using a USB to Ethernet adapter and then see those files on my...
  10. NAS and attaching a My Book drive to a router port

NAS and attaching a My Book drive to a router port: Don't know enough yet to answer my question. NAS's are something new to me so I'm trying to get up to speed (no pun intended). As I understand it a NAS would hang off of a router port, and have its own built in IP address so it can be accessed from the net or just use it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i access a hard drive attached to my router?