Windows 10: Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials

Discus and support Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a computer that I am moving to another user. We rely on an application that is on a computer on the network. I installed it with the first user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by soccerwiz13, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials

I have a computer that I am moving to another user. We rely on an application that is on a computer on the network. I installed it with the first user who was authenticated with Azure AD. However, when I go to access the shared drive with the new user, it asks for a password, even though there is no authentication on the shared resource. I have to use the original users credentials. When I use the new users credentials, I receive:

"We can’t sign you with this credential because your domain isn’t available. Make sure your device is connected to your organization’s network and try again. If you previously signed in on this device with another credential, you can sign in with that credential."

The computer I'm connecting to is not authenticated with an Azure User, and 8 other computers in the office can access it.

How can I connect to the shared resource without having to input the previous users credentials?

:)

soccerwiz13, Sep 27, 2020

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Sep 27, 2020
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Kreij Win User

Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials

1. Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials - Similar Threads - Connecting Shared Drive

2. Move users to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move users to another drive: With DaveM121's help I was able to fix a User Shell Folder problem by editing the registry entry. But that was one problem out of the bigger problem. There are a lot of %USERPROFILE% entries in the same list. What is the value of user profile? It must be at least partially...
  3. Connecting to Share Drive On VPN requires Credential Manager Resubmission of Network...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting to Share Drive On VPN requires Credential Manager Resubmission of Network...: When trying to access the share drive, we get a message that it is not accessible.We have to then go to windows credentials, click the drop down for "sessions", and edit our password. Once this is reset, we can hit the share. This has to be done by us every time we connect to...
  4. Connecting to Share Drive On VPN requires Credential Manager Resubmission of Network...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to Share Drive On VPN requires Credential Manager Resubmission of Network...: When trying to access the share drive, we get a message that it is not accessible.We have to then go to windows credentials, click the drop down for "sessions", and edit our password. Once this is reset, we can hit the share. This has to be done by us every time we connect to...
  5. Connecting to Share Drive On VPN requires Credential Manager Resubmission of Network...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Sharing a Single Folder with Another User

Sharing a Single Folder with Another User: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (21H1 - Build 19043.1052). I am trying to set up another user with access to a single folder and its subfolders on a new machine. I've shared this folder with that user by editing the share settings in Windows Explorer. When I log in as that...
  7. How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?: Hi I have a usb drive connected to one machine. I want to be able to share that drive with one other machine so that only those 2 machines can read, write, delete, etc. from that drive. I want to do this so I can transfer files over my local network without opening up that...
  8. Transferring the Users from one drive to another.

Transferring the Users from one drive to another.: I got a new HDD and i would like to move my existing User to that new drive. how do i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-the-users-from-one-drive-to-another/f0bb506e-2d91-4bc5-9461-0efe31c2d568
  9. Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials: Hi, I'm trying to understand how Win10 works with credentials for accessing shared folders. In my case I have a NAS which has a few shared folders. There are two way I can access them, one via network share (i.e. \\mynas\folder1, \\mynas\folder2) or as a network drive (i.e....
  10. Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer: Ideally I'd like to share a drive, but even giving access to "Everyone" results in an error message "You do not have permission..." I can successfully share a folder on that drive, if again I give access to "Everyone" which seem like madness... As the title says, I want...