Windows 10: Connecting to the Internet by Wi-Fi rather than ethernet

Discus and support Connecting to the Internet by Wi-Fi rather than ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently had a new modem and internet upgrade - under the previous arrangement my computer was connected by ethernet cable. Under the new arrangement I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stenskell, May 6, 2020.

1. stenskell Win User

Connecting to the Internet by Wi-Fi rather than ethernet

Recently had a new modem and internet upgrade - under the previous arrangement my computer was connected by ethernet cable. Under the new arrangement I need to connect by wi-fi as the Ethernet is no longer available.

Under settings on my computer windows 10 and HP Elitedesk for the internet there is no setting for wi-fi - only for ethernet and dial up.

What can I do? I have tried the Microsoft help to no avail. Bit hard with no internet connection.

Do I have to ask HP how to do a factory reset as I don't know how to do that?

Thanks

Bob

:)

stenskell, May 6, 2020
  2. thomasaj Win User

Using Wi-Fi. Need to share this connection over ethernet.

NOTE: I do not have physical access to the modem/router that broadcasts the WI-FI I am using.

The laptop I am using is connected to the internet over wi-fi.

I have a PC that does not have wi-fi capability. I have a switch so I can connect my laptop to the PC over ethernet.

I want to share the internet connection that my laptop has with my PC.

I have Googled but results are focused on hot-spots etc.

thomasaj, May 6, 2020
  3. Dumazi Win User
    Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot

I posted this on the Microsoft Community Help board and got little to no attention from the support engineers. Hopefully someone here can help.

I am having a recent problem with Windows 10. I have been running Windows 10 Home Edition from an on-line upgrade on my Lenovo Y510P for months with no issues. About a week ago, I started noticing that after a restart, my system tray icons for Audio and Network (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) would start out fine but about half-way through the start up process would become marked with a red X or a warning yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

The Audio can be restarted either by running the trouble shooter or turning on the WinAudio service. The Ethernet actually works just fine but the yellow triangle warning icon persists and claims to either be constantly identifying the network or displays that the connection is unknown. Running the trouble shooter finds no problems. The Wi-Fi system tray icon appears with it's obligatory warning triangle and the Wi-Fi will connect to a known network if in range, but there is no Wi-Fi Icon in the Action Center, and no Wi-Fi entry in the Network & Internet Settings list either.

If you list the adapters in Network Connections, the Wi-Fi does appear and you can access the properties for the adapter, but if you try to select connect/disconnect from the context sensitive menu, it does not open a list of locally available networks, instead you are taken back to the All Settings Screen. Likewise if you run the trouble shooter on the Wi-Fi adapter when away from a known local Wi-Fi network, the troubleshooter tells you to pick a network from a list. When you click on the link, you are not taken to a list of networks, but rather back to the All Settings screen.

I have updated the drivers for the audio and both network adapters, The device manager claims all devices are operating appropriately. Malwarebytes reveals nothing.

I suspected the problem might be related shared service dependencies, but the problem persists through a clean boot in which both services and start-up items were tested. Neither a system scan nor a DISM repair revealed any corrupt system files.

I did notice that if I click on the "connect to the internet" icon on the log in screen, I do get a list of the dozen or so available Wi-Fi networks in my immediate vicinity. I can not see that list anywhere once I log into Windows 10 proper.

I created installation media (burned the Win 10 .ISO to a DVD) and performed a reinstall of Windows 10 which allowed me to keep my installed apps. I'm guessing both this and the basic system refresh maintain many settings and registry entries that are likely the source of my problem. Reinstalling Windows 10 did not resolve my issues.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Dumazi, May 6, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Wi-Fi issue: Limited connectivity

Hi Scot,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

I suggest you to run the in-built troubleshooter for Internet connections.

• Open 'Settings' and click on 'Update and security'.
    • On the left pane, select 'Troubleshoot' and run the troubleshooter for 'Internet Connections'.

You may also try the troubleshooting steps listed in the articles listed below and check if it works:

Hope it helps.

Junaid_A, May 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Connecting to the Internet by Wi-Fi rather than ethernet - Similar Threads - Connecting Internet rather

2. Wi-fi is connected but there is no internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi is connected but there is no internet.: My PC is connected to my wi-fi and it shows that I have internet but whenever i go to a browser or another app it shows that no internet connection. But I can use my wi-fi on other devices....
  3. Wi-fi is connected but there is no internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-fi is connected but there is no internet.: My PC is connected to my wi-fi and it shows that I have internet but whenever i go to a browser or another app it shows that no internet connection. But I can use my wi-fi on other devices....
  4. Wi-fi connected, but no internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi connected, but no internet: I'm having issues with my wifi connection on my laptop running Windows 10. When I try to connect, I'm getting a message that it's connected, but no internet. I was connected just fine an hour ago.I cannot try anything with the physical router, because my connection is...
  5. Wi-fi connected, but no internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-fi connected, but no internet: I'm having issues with my wifi connection on my laptop running Windows 10. When I try to connect, I'm getting a message that it's connected, but no internet. I was connected just fine an hour ago.I cannot try anything with the physical router, because my connection is...
  6. Wi-fi connected, but no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Internet connection via Ethernet but not Wi-Fi?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet connection via Ethernet but not Wi-Fi?: So currently I'm having trouble connecting my Windows 10 Asus laptop through Wi-Fi even though my cellphone and any other device around my house has connection. Of course I'm trying to connect with the Ethernet cable disconnected. Wi-Fi used to work perfectly. Here are some...
  8. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  9. Ethernet shows connected but not connecting to internet, WI-FI working fine.

Ethernet shows connected but not connecting to internet, WI-FI working fine.: Hello!! Until today morning I have been able to get on the internet using a Ethernet cable. But suddenly now I cannot connect using a cable no matter how many times I use a different cable. However I'm still able to connect by using Wi-Fi, but when I plug in my Ethernet...
  10. Connected, No Internet Access - Regardless of Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection

Connected, No Internet Access - Regardless of Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection: We've had at least 5 laptops of varying model types running Windows 10 Pro 1903 experience an issue with network connectivity. This seems to be regardless of Wi-Fi or Ethernet network connection. In the case of a Wi-Fi connection, the taskbar icon displays 'Connected, No...