Windows 10: Connecting to the Router

Discus and support Connecting to the Router in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; A recent Windows Update July 2020 has left my laptop automatically connecting to the Internet via the router even at start-up, and even though the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LittlePlum1, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Connecting to the Router

A recent Windows Update July 2020 has left my laptop automatically connecting to the Internet via the router even at start-up, and even though the option to "Connect Automatically" is in the off position / has not been selected.

Sometimes, if I do a "Restart", the machine stays off-line for around 20 seconds, and then automatically connects without me doing anything.

Any ideas as to why is this happening? This is the first time in my computing life that I've not been able to stop a computer connecting to the Internet at start-up.

Many thanks for your time.

:)

LittlePlum1, Jul 17, 2020
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Jul 17, 2020
  3. Gino Des Win User
    wireless conection to router

Hi,

To better assist you, we would like to know the following information:

• Are you able to see the router's name in the wireless networks list?
    • Are you able to connect to the router but unable to connect to the Internet?
    • Do you receive any error message when connecting to the router? If yes, what is the exact error message that you receive?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems. Kindly follow the steps below:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If the issue persists, kindly try the troubleshooting steps on the following link:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

We recommend that you try the steps on the Update the network adapter driver,
    Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands,
    Temporarily turn off firewalls
    and Use network reset to reinstall network devices sections.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Connecting to the Router

Unable connect to WEP Security Router

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Do you get any error message when you try to connect to the network?
    • Are you able to connect to other devices using similar router?

Method 1: If you are able to connect to other devices using the same router, i suggest you to run the troubleshooters by following the steps below:

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    internet connection troubleshooter
    by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Internet Connections, click on
      Advanced and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.

Step 2: Also run the network adapter troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View all from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Network Adapter,
      click on Advanced and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue persist, I suggest you to
    update the network adapter driver from device manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand the Network adapter driver from the list.
    • Right click on the driver and click on Update option.
    • Restart the PC to install the network adapters automatically and check if the changes are effective.

Also check from the manufacturer’s website if you are using updated network adapter.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

Connecting to the Router

1. Connecting to the Router - Similar Threads - Connecting Router

2. Slow Wi-Fi on PC, Faster on Phone's Hotspot Despite Same Router Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow Wi-Fi on PC, Faster on Phone's Hotspot Despite Same Router Connection: I'm using network adapter. I'm experiencing slow Wi-Fi connection on my PC when connected to my router, but the connection is faster when I use my phone's hotspot, even though both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network from the router. Any insights on why this might...
  3. When a PC Is Connected to a Router Using a Network Cable, the PC Cannot Obtain the IPv6 DNS...

in Windows 10 Customization
    When a PC Is Connected to a Router Using a Network Cable, the PC Cannot Obtain the IPv6 DNS...: The router has successfully dialed up to IPv6, and the delivered RA message carries the DNS server address. The router has the DNS proxy capability.***Moved from zh-hans Windows / Windows 10 / ***...
  4. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  5. Downloading to Router Connected HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading to Router Connected HDD: I have a HDD connected to an Asus DSL-AC68U router, I can view the files on the HDD on my laptop and all my media players. What I can’t do is download or copy/paste or delete files on it through my laptop. It’s an old laptop with Windows 8.1. Any ideas?...
  6. My laptop will not automatically connect to my router unless I reset network adapters

My laptop will not automatically connect to my router unless I reset network adapters: My laptop will not automatically connect to my router…can a technician connect remotely to my laptop to solve this annoying problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-not-automatically-connect-to-my/3129317d-bc3c-4bf4-af12-8e33293ebb47
  7. My laptop will not automatically connect to my router unless I reset network adapters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop will not automatically connect to my router unless I reset network adapters: My laptop will not automatically connect to my router…can a technician connect remotely to my laptop to solve this annoying problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-not-automatically-connect-to-my/3129317d-bc3c-4bf4-af12-8e33293ebb47
  8. How do I connect a remote camera to my laptop via WiFi from a WiFi router?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I connect a remote camera to my laptop via WiFi from a WiFi router?: The camera is a Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000 USB plugThe OS is Windows 10 pro v22H2The router is a Asus RT-N12The camera works fine via USB to laptopCurrently the router is connected to internet via POE injector to a wifi radio mounted outside on top of a stick and the laptop...
  9. How do I connect a remote camera to my laptop via WiFi from a WiFi router?

How do I connect a remote camera to my laptop via WiFi from a WiFi router?: The camera is a Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000 USB plugThe OS is Windows 10 pro v22H2The router is a Asus RT-N12The camera works fine via USB to laptopCurrently the router is connected to internet via POE injector to a wifi radio mounted outside on top of a stick and the laptop...
  10. How do I connect a remote camera to my laptop via WiFi from a WiFi router?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware