Windows 10: Connecting to the Wifi network with the best signal on Windows 10

Discus and support Connecting to the Wifi network with the best signal on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Wifi networks at home and I would like my Windows 10 laptop to automatically connect to the network with the strongest signal. As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aarti Gupta IN, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Connecting to the Wifi network with the best signal on Windows 10

I have two Wifi networks at home and I would like my Windows 10 laptop to automatically connect to the network with the strongest signal.

As recommended by the Microsoft community, I tried to change the network settings to increase the roaming aggressiveness of my wifi adapter. However, that did not work for me.

After spending a lot of time researching other possible solutions, none of which worked for me, I decided to write a Windows service to solve the problem. The service runs in the background and continually scans for available wifi networks, ranks them by signal strength, and connects to the network with the strongest signal.

I've been running the service on my windows 10 laptop for a few weeks now and it works like a charm.

Steps to install -

1. Download the exe from here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/17rS2XPK7Esmklcs_JsGOt5iT5bYaRfQr/view?usp=sharing

2. Install the exe as a windows service. sc create ConnectToBestWifiService <Path to exe>

3. Launch Windows service manager, locate ConnectToBestWifiService, right click, go to properties and set Start Up type to automatic.

4. Start ConnectToBestWifiService from the service manager.

:)

Aarti Gupta IN, Sep 18, 2020

2. Not listing all the wifi signals available

I recently upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1. I use an external wifi adapter in my lenovo z570 laptop. I am able to connect to a wifi network but my laptop is not listing all the wifi signals available so that i can choose which one to connect. But it automatically
    connects to one particular wifi nerwork. Where to find the list of networks available ? It was fine 8.1 but the problem appeared in win 10.

rohithnallamaddi, Sep 18, 2020
  3. wi-fi signal is weak

Hey Jonian,

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect network settings.
    • Network adapter is not working properly.
    I suggest you to try the steps listed here and check if it fixes the issue or else contact your ISP for weak signal.

Method 1: I suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps to fix network connection issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-why-cant-i-get-connected

Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to refer the steps in the article which will help to fix common issues with network connection. Check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

Hope this information helps.

SujataMoktan, Sep 18, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Connecting to the Wifi network with the best signal on Windows 10

WiFi appears in Manage Known Networks, not in Show Available Networks

The list of WiFi connections shown when you click the WiFi icon in the taskbar is a list of all the signals that can currently be seen by the WiFi adapter. The list in Manage Known Networks is a list of all those you have previously successfully connected to, whether or not they are currently available.

The only plausible explanation is that for a while that WiFi signal had been turned off.

Thema:

Connecting to the Wifi network with the best signal on Windows 10

1. Connecting to the Wifi network with the best signal on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Connecting Wifi network

2. Wifi Network Low Signal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Network Low Signal: Hi,I have Dell inspiron 15 5537 issue is catching wifi signals only one bar. Please help me about this issue.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network-low-signal/aaceda4e-ca37-4791-8330-beac0e2512a8
  3. Wifi Network Low Signal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Network Low Signal: Hi,I have Dell inspiron 15 5537 issue is catching wifi signals only one bar. Please help me about this issue.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network-low-signal/aaceda4e-ca37-4791-8330-beac0e2512a8
  4. Windows 10 Wifi showing connected but not transmitting signal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Wifi showing connected but not transmitting signal: I am having issues connecting to my local wifi with my PC, confirming that is not my ISP as I am posting this from my phone connected to the wifi. I've tried nearly everything and have been at my wits end with this, including even loading in Safe Mode with Networking and I...
  5. WiFi Device connect to Router WiFi Signal.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi Device connect to Router WiFi Signal.: How do I get a Router to find a WiFi Adapter so that the WiFi adapter can pick up the Router WiFi signal ? The WiFi Router is useless as it needs to inherit a WiFi signal for it to work. I had Windows find the device once, but then I couldn't get it to find it again ?...
  6. Network Connectivity issues,the laptop keeps disconnecting the wifi and detects no signal...

Network Connectivity issues,the laptop keeps disconnecting the wifi and detects no signal...: My wifi keeps getting disconnected from the laptop,Ive tried updating all the drivers but to no avail.Though Ive faced this issue before,whats different this time is that the laptop isnt able to recognise any networks.I have my phone placed right next to the laptop and it...
  7. WIFI signal

WIFI signal: Would the newest Windows 10 update cause my older Toshiba Satelite laptop to not be able to recognize my WIFI signal? Since about mid-May, my Xfinity WIFI signal is not displayed in the Network Internet access popup box. I can see many of my neighbors' signals at a much...
  8. WiFi signal

in Windows 10 Customization
    WiFi signal: Hello I installed Windows 10 recently, I saw the signal is not normal as usual The router is very close to the laptop and the signal is very weak. Notic:-(changed my hard drive to ssd)...
  9. Connecting to the strongest wifi network in windows 10

Connecting to the strongest wifi network in windows 10: I have a wifi network at home, which is set up as follows: The main wifi router, one repeater/extender unit and 2 power line(LAN) units that are also wifi transmitters/sources. So in total there are four sources of wifi in our home. All these sources have the same...
  10. Fluacting WiFi Network Signals

Fluacting WiFi Network Signals: Hi, Microsoft. I want to know why does my Wi-Fi Network Signals fluctuate i.e sometimes 2 then suddenly changes to 5 signals. Any reason behind Wi-Fi Network Signals fluctuation. What i need to do to get constant Wi-Fi Network Signals. Pls check & give me some solutions....