Windows 10: Connecting to VPN client causes loss of access to other PCs on network

Discus and support Connecting to VPN client causes loss of access to other PCs on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three PCs that have updated to 1803. At first I could not connect from one PC to another through File Explorer, regardless of whether or not I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AK 47, May 17, 2018.

1. AK 47 Win User

Connecting to VPN client causes loss of access to other PCs on network

I have three PCs that have updated to 1803. At first I could not connect from one PC to another through File Explorer, regardless of whether or not I was connected to my VPN provider's client (my VPN provider is IVPN).

After enabling Function Discovery Resource Publication in services.msc, it all worked fine without the VPN client.

But connecting to the VPN causes issues.

With the VPN connected, when hovering over the Network Connection Status icon in the System Tray, it shows as [SSID]: No internet access; Unidentified network: Internet access. The same thing happens on a wired connection, with my SSID name replaced by Network 2. Sometimes the Network Connection Status icon shows a yellow triangle (and both show as no internet access), sometimes it doesn't. Either way, the connection to the internet works, regardless of whether there is a yellow triangle or not.

The problem is that because it thinks I am not connected to my actual network (i.e. [SSID] or Network 2), it doesn't recognise that that my connection is private, therefore I cannot access files on other PCs on my network.

I have the same issue on all three PCs on 1803. Two are wired, and one is connected by Wi-Fi, if that makes a difference.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this issue?

EDIT: I should note that before the update, when connected to the VPN client, it used to say [SSID]: Internet access, Unidentified Network: No internet access.

:)

AK 47, May 17, 2018
  2. ltr.az Win User

vpn and file share win 10, How can I get network resources enabled to the VPN client?

<Original title: vpn and file share win 10>

Setup a vpn network connection on Win 10 and setup a client to access it but network file share resources are not found on the host machine nor other machines on the network through the VPN.

How can I get network resources enabled to the VPN client?

port forwarded both 47, 1723 to the VPN server...

Shouldn't this just work?

ltr.az, May 17, 2018
  3. Connecting to Work Network through VPN disconnects me from the internet

The only way to access both the vpn network and the internet at the same time is to proxy the internet connection through the vpn connection. If you already have a proxy setup on your network you can add that proxy address under the vpn settings page
    and check the option "this network connects me to the internet" There is no split-tunneling with the vpn client in Windows Mobile.

Eric Hicks, May 17, 2018
Thema:

Connecting to VPN client causes loss of access to other PCs on network

1. Connecting to VPN client causes loss of access to other PCs on network - Similar Threads - Connecting VPN client

2. VPN Connects but cannot access remote network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN Connects but cannot access remote network.: I am connecting to a remote network via VPN. I can make the connection but cannot access the remote's local network even though I have allowed access on the Server's Incoming setting. The login account has read/write permissions to the local shares. Both Remote and Client...
  3. VPN CLIENT

VPN CLIENT: Since i install WINDOWS 10 20H2 my VPN CLIENT avaya is working bad. It was working OK on WINDOWS 10 1909. I can open my connexion but after fee seconds i receive a message "VPN tunnel is disconnected de to physical link lost". Can you help please ?...
  4. Set up access to drives in other PCs on the network?

Set up access to drives in other PCs on the network?: What are the steps I need to take to set up access to drives in other PCs on the network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-access-to-drives-in-other-pcs-on-the/dcd0f86b-ae0e-44fc-b10c-5cc4b2cec846
  5. Other PCs on my Network???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Other PCs on my Network???: Hi guys, I've looked at my Network (This PC>Network) and have seen two other PC/Desktops that I don't recognise. What could this be and how can I find out? All help is appreciated! Thanks. submitted by /u/yeebaa [link] [comments]...
  6. Share PCs wifi internet with other PCs on the network

Share PCs wifi internet with other PCs on the network: I have an unusual situation as I only have mobile hotspot at the moment, I have 2 PCs which are on a network router, but only one has a wifi dongle to connect to the mobile hotspot. Is that anyway I can share the internet with the other PC on the network through the one...
  7. Not able to access other PCs on our home network

Not able to access other PCs on our home network: Been having problems since Homegroup was eliminated. On our home network we have four devices connected. One of the devices (Surface Book) is not able to access the files on the other three devices (Surface Laptop, Surface Pro 5, and a desktop machine). These other three...
  8. trouble connecting to a vpn client

trouble connecting to a vpn client: hi i have pc1 connected to server1 via vpn using remote access. After connecting to the network, pc1 is able to remote desktop to pc 2. I am trying to use pc2 to remote desktop pc1 after pc1 establish the vpn connection but pc2 is not able to ping pc1 at all. Why does...
  9. Unable To access Others PCs On the Network

Unable To access Others PCs On the Network: Unable to access Pcs on my network , please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/unable-to-access-others-pcs-on-the-network/3944667c-3995-41d0-83a4-e2a009f9b011
  10. F5 VPN client "Network Access Connection - Device was not found"

F5 VPN client "Network Access Connection - Device was not found": Hi all - I use a F5 VPN to connect to work and have recently (IIRC) experienced issues connecting while using Win10/10130. F5 doesn't have any info. Has anyone else seen similar issues? 7135