Windows 10: Connecting to VPN File Shares and Printer Shares not Acceptable

Discus and support Connecting to VPN File Shares and Printer Shares not Acceptable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have a 3rd party APP that requires a VPN connection to the software vendors Azure VPN with Windows built-in VPN. Once connected I can still ping the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lissaware, Jan 8, 2020.

1. lissaware Win User

Connecting to VPN File Shares and Printer Shares not Acceptable

We have a 3rd party APP that requires a VPN connection to the software vendors Azure VPN with Windows built-in VPN. Once connected I can still ping the domain and domain controllers by name but I'm unable to update the GPO or access printers or file shares. I have checked the DNS settings and IP routes when connected to the VPN and all is correct.

:)

lissaware, Jan 8, 2020
  2. lissaware Win User

We have a 3rd party APP that requires a VPN connection to the software vendors Azure VPN with Windows built-in VPN. Once connected I can still ping the domain and domain controllers by name but I'm unable to update the GPO or access printers or file shares. I have checked the DNS settings and IP routes when connected to the VPN and all is correct.

lissaware, Jan 8, 2020
  3. ryley2637 Win User
    Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall off I CAN ping and access shares. It was working fine yesterday and I don't remember doing anything to cause this. I've tracked it down to being something with my Public networks. When I disable the firewall on public networks (the VPN adapter) I can ping, but once I enable that it stops pinging. I've tried everything listed below but still can't get it to work:

• Checked port 1723 is open
    • Allowed EVERYTHING with a firewall rule, through it
    • Checked multiple devices on another Wi-Fi network and 3G with a phone
    • Restarted PC; other devices and router
    • I can ping every other device on my network besides the one creating the VPN (which is the one I need)
    • and so many other steps.
    • Made sure file and printer sharing were enabled in network and sharing center

Is there some other rule that got removed from the firewall I need to re-add? Any help or tips would be appreciated!

ryley2637, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Connecting to VPN File Shares and Printer Shares not Acceptable - Similar Threads - Connecting VPN File

2. Can't connect to shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't connect to shared printer: Hi,My computer I'm connecting from is a Windows 11 laptop, while the other PC is a Windows 10.I can connect to the shared printer from the Administrator login, however if I login as a standard user they cannot connect to it. It says 0x00000004f1 - Windows cannot connect to...
  3. Error Connect to Share Printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Connect to Share Printer: Good morning,i am dafit from indonesia,sorry permission to ask, I'm having problems and problems when connecting the user's computer printer to the computer that is the printer server.there are 3 different info from the 3 computers we are trying to connect to.please help,...
  4. Network share printer not connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network share printer not connect: I can't connect with one of the networks shared printers. it showed " operation failed with error 0x00000520".Please help me to solve this issue. One thing is someone can print and someone can't print. The driver was also updated. So many errors with different pc....
  5. VPN Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN Sharing: I have setup VPN Sharing on a Win 10 machine by sharing the main Internet connection with a 2nd Network Card, the connection is working but the speed through the 2nd card is only around 1/4 of the main connection, anyone have any suggestions, I am through Private Internet...
  6. Printing to a shared printer over VPN.

Printing to a shared printer over VPN.: At local site host site Win10 PC with IP 192.168.1.20 and the router configured for remote PPTP VPN. At remote site, Win7 PC with a shared printer attached called HPshare. After establishing the VPN connection and based on my router config the Win7 PC at the remote sites...
  7. File and Printer Sharing

File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  8. how to share printers as sharing files OneDrive

how to share printers as sharing files OneDrive: how to share printers as sharing files OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-share-printers-as-sharing-files-onedrive/9c63e524-9b20-416e-a350-fdbe2c8567a4"
  9. file sharing & VPN

file sharing & VPN: so i mademade a simple (virtual) network with hyper-v. i made 3 new virtual machines, 2 with windows server 2016 and 1 with windows 10. all of this can be seen in the pictured i have add. the first machine we configured was one of the server 2016 machines and we made it our...
  10. Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers: I have a small office network with 4 work stations. One of them (we'll call it #2) has 2 printers connected to it that are used by the other Work stations. I can access shared Files and Folders on #2 from #1 just like normal. But the Printers have all the sudden become...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. advanced network sharing settings if i am connecting to vpn