Windows 10: Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?

Discus and support Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Im trying to improve what I understand about Windows accounts. I know that there is a great deal of information on this Forum, including a number of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Fortitude, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Fortitude Win User

Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?

Im trying to improve what I understand about Windows accounts. I know that there is a great deal of information on this Forum, including a number of relevant tutorials, but Im still confused about certain basic matters.

1. Does an Administrator who is set up as a Local Account use the same user folder when he or she changes from the Local Account to a Microsoft Account? I mean can the same person have the persona of a Microsoft Account or a Local Account? Does that person have access to the same user data, but cannot be logged in to Windows with both those personas at the same time?

Maybe this example will help explain what I mean: Say, Apple (no pun intended) is an Administrator (Local Account), Berry is an Administrator with a Microsoft Account and Cherry is a standard user account. As things stand Berry and Cherry have their respective email address, but Apple doesn't have one. If I change the Apple's sign in to a Microsoft Account instead and for this I use Berry's credentials, where will Berry's data be kept as of that moment? In Berry's original user folders or in Apple's user folders?

Would it be more logical or indeed necessary when changing Apple's sign in to use an email address which will be different than that of Berry or Cherry? In this case will Apple's data continue to be kept in the same folders as before even though the login has changed?

2. It happens that my Windows digital license is connected to my account which is designated as a standard user. Would this potentially cause me any problems for example when re-installing Windows or for any other reason?

Windows 10 Pro v.2004.

:)

Fortitude, Aug 4, 2020

2. Microsoft Sudoku not available to other users

Hi Larry,

Thank you for responding.

As Microsoft account has an issue, I suggest you to run Microsoft account troubleshooter from my previous post and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists, the account might have got corrupted.

I suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to local account, and convert newly created local account (with no issues)to Microsoft account to transfer the user content.

Step 1: To convert the Microsoft account to local account, you can do the following:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.
    • Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want to set for your Local account and click
      Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Step 2: To convert Local account to Microsoft account, follow these steps:

• Make sure you are device is connected to internet.
    • On the newly converted Local account (with no issues), click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 3: Once the newly created local account is converted to Microsoft account, you can log-in with this account, try to access
    This PC and copy the contents from the old user account to a newly created user account.

Steps:

• Press Windows + E, click on
      This PC in the left pane.
    • Double click on C: drive (Usually where the operating system is being installed)
    • Double click on Users and older user profile folder.
    • Copy all the content from that user profile to the newly created user profile.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Fortitude Win User

I’m trying to improve what I understand about Windows accounts. I know that there is a great deal of information on this Forum, including a number of relevant tutorials, but I’m still confused about certain basic matters.

1. Does an Administrator who is set up as a Local Account use the same user folder when he or she changes from the Local Account to a Microsoft Account? I mean can the same person have the persona of a Microsoft Account or a Local Account? Does that person have access to the same user data, but cannot be logged in to Windows with both those personas at the same time?

Maybe this example will help explain what I mean: Say, Apple (no pun intended) is an Administrator (Local Account), Berry is an Administrator with a Microsoft Account and Cherry is a standard user account. As things stand Berry and Cherry have their respective email address, but Apple doesn't have one. If I change the Apple's sign in to a Microsoft Account instead and for this I use Berry's credentials, where will Berry's data be kept as of that moment? In Berry's original user folders or in Apple's user folders?

Would it be more logical or indeed necessary when changing Apple's sign in to use an email address which will be different than that of Berry or Cherry? In this case will Apple's data continue to be kept in the same folders as before even though the login has changed?

2. It happens that my Windows digital license is connected to my account which is designated as a standard user. Would this potentially cause me any problems for example when re-installing Windows or for any other reason?

Windows 10 Pro v.2004.

Fortitude, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Kari, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts? - Similar Threads - Connection between local

2. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead because i want to use a local account...
  3. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead...
  4. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead...
  5. Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?: On one of my Windows 10 Pro laptops I sign in with Windows Hello and can choose to enter a pin, fingerprint scan or password. My account username is "Jamie" and my profile folder shares the same name. I do not sign in to Windows with my Microsoft account username and password...
  6. Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Caught between local and Microsoft accounts: One of my Windows 10 systems is in a weird state in between local and Microsoft accounts. 1. There is no "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" or "Sign in with a local account instead" option under Settings/Accounts/Your info. This page shows my local account name,...
  7. difference between microsoft account and user profile

difference between microsoft account and user profile: Hello.I have windows 10 build 1703.I am confused about differences between microsoft account and user profile.When i am searching or i have a porblem , i don't know which term should I do for the search.So i have some questions: 1) are the same? 2) Can i permanently delete...
  8. difference between microsoft account and user profile

in Windows 10 Support
    difference between microsoft account and user profile: Hello.I have windows 10 build 1703.I am confused about differences between microsoft account and user profile.When i am searching or i have a porblem , i don't know which term should I do for the search.So i have some questions: 1) are the same? 2) Can i permanently delete...
  9. How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows

How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows: I have windows 10 Pro, and a Microsoft account, and a local account, How do I switch back and forth easily, without a hassle? When I did that a couple days ago, when I switched back to my local account, it wanted a new user name for the local account, it indicated my original...
  10. Win 10, local user, cannot connect to Microsoft Account

Win 10, local user, cannot connect to Microsoft Account: Hello everyone. Normally, I am no slouch in trying to find a solution to a problem with searching the net, but so far I haven't found a solution to my problem. Upgraded my Windows 10 from Win 7 Ultimate. So I started Win 10 with a local account. Which is joined to a...