Windows 10: Connection icon in systray not displaying connections when clicked

Discus and support Connection icon in systray not displaying connections when clicked in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My assistant in the other room accidentally unplugged the router and I lost connection. I told her to plug back in. I clicked the correct connection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cdaniel, Nov 5, 2015.

1. cdaniel Win User

Connection icon in systray not displaying connections when clicked

My assistant in the other room accidentally unplugged the router and I lost connection. I told her to plug back in. I clicked the correct connection when it appeared, but I did it too soon. From that point on, when I clicked the systray icon, nothing happened...no display of available connections. Over and over I tried clicking the systray icon and no window popped up to show available connections. If I hovered over the icon, it did say connections available..

Then I right-clicked and went into the Network & Sharing Center. I could never find where it showed available connections like in Windows 7.

Finally, I had to reboot and I had my connection back.

If this happens again, where can I find available connections so I don't have to reboot? Or even better, is there a way to get the systray icon to again be responsive?

Thanks!

:)

cdaniel, Nov 5, 2015
  2. Merlstrom Win User

Computer Stuck On Airplane Mode On Windows 10, Can't Connect To My Network After Upgrading To Windows 10 Version 1607

This afternoon my computer can't connect online. I checked the Router, the Modem and the Ethernet Cable and everything was working fine. The 3 laptops and other devices in the house are online except my Desktop Computer. I ran the Troubleshooter but it didn't
    find any problems. I clicked on the Network Icon in the Systray and that's when I found out that it is on Airplane Mode. I went to the Control Panel -> Network & Internet -> Network & Sharing Center and clicked on Connect To The Network but it didn't do anything.

Please help!

Thanks

Merlstrom, Nov 5, 2015
  3. suat.cini Win User
    PC won't connect to the WiFi

Click the wireless icon in the systray on the right of the Taskbar.

Wireless connection window will open.

Make sure Airplane mode is not on.

Click Disconnect first and wait for a couple of seconds.

Click Reconnect, putting a checkmark in the box Automatically connect.

Wi-Fi now should work.

Connection icon in systray not displaying connections when clicked [​IMG]

suat.cini, Nov 5, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Have you tried rebooting your computer, which is the only way to get the computer to reset the cache and fix things. The "Available Connections" are always going to be there. Because they are sending out the SSID broadcast.

bro67, Nov 5, 2015
  5. cdaniel Win User
    Yes, in my post, I say that I rebooted and it corrected the problem and I was able to reconnect.

The point is that this should not happen at all. It was never a problem in Windows 7 and it seems there should be something I can do without having to reboot, which can be a pain because I work on a lot of things at once and have a lot to close out.

cdaniel, Nov 5, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    Point of what not happening? Any time you cycle a Router or Managed switch. You always cycle any desktops that developed Amnesia.

Windows 7 and Windows 10 are two different creatures. Even with Windows 7, you had to power cycle the computer, because majority of the Firmware on cheap gateways develop amnesia.

With my network. The only thing I really have to power cycle. Is my Engenius ECB-350 Access Point under circumstances, that it did not get the lease for a device, when the device had been sitting idle in off for a while.

Everyone has to close out to fix problems. Even if you went into Command and try to flush the DNS cache, etc.. Or use Farbar's tools for Networking. Last step is reboot.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Connection icon in systray not displaying connections when clicked - Similar Threads - Connection icon systray

2. Error when connecting to a wireless display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when connecting to a wireless display: second monitor laptop gives me that whenever i try to connect. it is in turkish https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-connecting-to-a-wireless-display/26845e2a-416e-4093-b8c7-3d4a4e106edf
  3. Error when connecting to a wireless display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when connecting to a wireless display: second monitor laptop gives me that whenever i try to connect. it is in turkish https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-connecting-to-a-wireless-display/26845e2a-416e-4093-b8c7-3d4a4e106edf
  4. SysTray Redundant Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    SysTray Redundant Icons: I get this (attached) when I open the systray using the arrow up. This happens every morning. I then run the mouse cursor over the empty icons and the empty icons disappear. Just wondering why? [img] 174614
  5. Error when connecting to 2nd display.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error when connecting to 2nd display.: Hello, My pc is having dp port Display Port and my 2nd monitor is having VGA port Video Graphics Array Port. So I bought a Splitter of Dp Male to VGA female and when i connect my splitter and cable together it automatically connects and disconnects. I tried buying that cable...
  6. Connected to the internet via wifi but the systray icon is a globe.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connected to the internet via wifi but the systray icon is a globe.: submitted by /u/Fake_SubZero [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/exrt7v/connected_to_the_internet_via_wifi_but_the/
  7. This computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect...: winver 1803 build 17134.285.........This started out with the System Tray Network Icon indicating "Identifying....No internet access"But I did have internet access - I only have one Ethernet adapter, no wireless.I reset netsh and rebooted........Icon now says "Internet...
  8. Internet won't connect when clicking on Edge icon

in Browsers and Email
    Internet won't connect when clicking on Edge icon: I started having problems last week. When I click on the Edge icon, nothing happens. My default browser is Internet Explorer. Everything was working fine before. I've checked my settings and nothing seems to have changed. The other users on this computer can get connected. I...
  9. Anyone have this behavior with systray icon display preferences?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyone have this behavior with systray icon display preferences?: Man it's so annoying. About 3/4 of the time when I reboot Windows forgets that I had turned off the "Always show all icons in the notification area" setting so when the system comes up, I have a crapload of icons hanging out down there and I have to go and turn it back off....
  10. systray hidden icons disappear when moused over

in Windows 10 Support
    systray hidden icons disappear when moused over: when rebooted this issue does not happen. After some time, if I open the hidden systray menu, most of them will disappear as I mouse over them. I do not know if it is triggered by opening a program, a background program, time, or whatever. any clues will be helpful. 40820