Windows 10: Connection possible through VPN despite a Windows connection status "Connected without...

Discus and support Connection possible through VPN despite a Windows connection status "Connected without... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I face a rather curious issue. When I connect to the PC to my home box, I sometimes get a Windows connection status "Connected - No internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Figolin, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Figolin Win User

Connection possible through VPN despite a Windows connection status "Connected without...

Hello,

I face a rather curious issue. When I connect to the PC to my home box, I sometimes get a Windows connection status "Connected - No internet access.". And indeed I have no access to the web.

But sometimes (not always) when I launch the VPN, it succeed in connecting, the Windows connection status switches to "Connected - Internet access." and everything works well.

So my question is: how come the VPN succeeds in connecting although I apparently have no internet connection? Where is the problem ? Is the box cheating me? Is it a PC or Windows issue ?...

Last but may be not least, I am in China...

Any clue very welcome!

:)

Figolin, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Katy Jao Win User

Display VPN connection status?

I am using Windows 10, before the latest update I would get separate icon in the tray area to show my VPN network connections. This allowed me to guess whether my VPN to work was connected or not
    by a glance at the tray. In the latest version of Windows 10, the WiFi icon remains the same after connected to the
    VPN network and there is no immediate difference between the LAN or the LAN
    + VPN being connected. To view this I need to mouse over the network icon, where I can then see the status of all connections.

Is there some way that the status of a VPN connection can be made visible without a mouse over in the tray or as a widget on the desktop?

Thanks

- Katy

Katy Jao, Dec 4, 2018
  3. HFox Win User
    Can connect to VPN but can't access connected PC

So I've scoured the web and pulled together enough info to enable me to create an incoming VPN connection on our dedicated P2P file "server" which runs Windows 8.1 Pro. On my Windows 10 Pro laptop, I've also created an outgoing VPN connection to the server. When I click the "Connect" button in "Network and Internet" Settings, the connection is established immediately with no error messages and a resulting status of "Connected". On the server side, the incoming connection also shows connected. Sounds like success, but no matter what I try, I can't find a way to actually access any of the drives/files on the server. I expected the server to show up in the list of "Network" computers, thereby enabling me to map a drive to the shared folder(s), but no such luck. I made sure when I was creating the incoming connection on the server that I enabled "File and Printer Sharing", as well. Also, FYI, the server's WAN connection is on a static IP, and I've done the necessary port forwarding to the server's internal IP address. The one especially odd thing is that when I view the connection details on my laptop, it shows a subnet address of 255.255.255.255, and I don't have a clue whether or not that's correct. There's oddly little information that I can find that describes all of the possible entries that are required in the many and various dialogues that are presented while trying to setup the VPN.

Any ideas/schooling that anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

HFox, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Connection possible through VPN despite a Windows connection status "Connected without...

VPN connections

Hello CharlesRobbins1

yes it's possible

Please follow these steps

1.Create a VPN profile

If you don't have a VPN profile on your Windows 10 PC, you'll need to create one. Before you start:

If it’s for work, look for VPN settings or a VPN app on your company’s intranet site while you’re at work, or contact your company's support person.

If it’s for a VPN service you subscribe to for personal use, visit the Microsoft Store to see if there’s an app for that service, then go to the VPN service’s website to see if the VPN connection settings to use are listed there.

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > VPN > Add a VPN connection.

In Add a VPN connection, do the following:

For VPN provider, choose Windows (built-in). In the Connection name box, type a friendly name (for example, My Personal VPN) for the VPN connection profile. This is the VPN connection name to look for when you try to connect In the Server name or address box.
    Type the address for the VPN server.

For VPN type, choose the type of VPN connection you want to create. You’ll need to know which kind of VPN connection your company or VPN service uses.

For Type of sign-in info, choose the type of sign-in info (or credentials) to use. This might be a user name and password, one-time password, certificate, or a smart card if you’re connecting to a VPN for work. Type your user name and password in the respective
    boxes (optional).

Select Save.

If you need to edit the VPN connection info or specify additional settings, such as the proxy settings to use for the VPN connection, choose the VPN connection and then select Advanced options.

2. Connect to a VPN

When you have a VPN profile, you’re ready to connect.

On the far right of the taskbar, select the Network icon (either or ).

Select the VPN connection you want to use, then do either of the following depending on what happens when you select the VPN connection:

If the Connect button displays under the VPN connection, select Connect.

If VPN in Settings opens, select the VPN connection there, then select Connect.

If you're prompted, type your user name and password or other sign-in info.

When connected, the VPN connection name will display Connected underneath it.

To see if you’re connected to the VPN while you’re doing things on your PC, select the Network icon (either or ) on the far right of the taskbar, then see if the VPN connection says Connected underneath it.

also yo can see more in this link below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20510/...

I hope it helps

Pedro V Flores, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

Connection possible through VPN despite a Windows connection status "Connected without...

1. Connection possible through VPN despite a Windows connection status "Connected without... - Similar Threads - Connection possible through

2. WSL2 not connection without VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 not connection without VPN: Hello Team, I have been using Kali Linux on my Laptop as main OS which is working fine. However I decided to install WSL2 on my Windows 11 PC, After installation it refuses to connect to the internet. However if I use VPN it connects successfully but throws error when I...
  3. WSL2 not connection without VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL2 not connection without VPN: Hello Team, I have been using Kali Linux on my Laptop as main OS which is working fine. However I decided to install WSL2 on my Windows 11 PC, After installation it refuses to connect to the internet. However if I use VPN it connects successfully but throws error when I...
  4. VPN CONNECTION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN CONNECTION: I am trying to set up a VPN connection and I am getting this message saying the connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed. How do I solve this?...
  5. Install LAPS through VPN connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Install LAPS through VPN connection: I'm deploying LAPS local administrator password solution, I've three different scenarios: * Workstations wired connected in the office: It works perfectly. * Workstations wireless connected in the office: I doesn't work. * Workstations at home connected using a VPN: I...
  6. Software to display VPN connection status on the taskbar?

Software to display VPN connection status on the taskbar?: Hi guys, I have found that there's no default way in Windows of checking a vpn connection status at a glance. I run NordVPN and I don't know whether this connection is up or down at any particular time. At times, I have thought it's running to then find that the internet...
  7. VPN CONNECTION

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    VPN CONNECTION: i have been asked to connect to the VPN provided by the school to activate my windows. however, the VPN connection keeps saying my password to the username is incorrect despite typing and keying in correctly and i have tried multiple times but i am still unable to do so...
  8. windows 10 vpn connection status shows "connecting" but i am connected

windows 10 vpn connection status shows "connecting" but i am connected: sometimes it shows "logging in" but i am already connected. rarely does it show "connected" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-vpn-connection-status-shows-connecting/9270b003-9e6e-4d33-89a0-0dd7a7ccb7f8
  9. VPN CONNECTION

VPN CONNECTION: Have setup a network connection in windows 10 to use with a VPN [FREEVPN.ME] but, when I try to connect, it states 'connecting' and does not say 'connected'. Is this a firewall problem? Anyone familiar with FREEVPN.ME?...
  10. Connecting with VPN in Windows 10 through the Internet

Connecting with VPN in Windows 10 through the Internet: I get this error in System error log. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. I have ports 1701, 1723 and 3389 on my router and...