Windows 10: Connection resets on certain websites, how do I fix?

Discus and support Connection resets on certain websites, how do I fix? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I didn't touch my computer throughout Winter Break, when I got back I noticed that some websites wouldn't connect. Temp fix is to spam refresh until it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by deadreets, Feb 1, 2019.

1. deadreets Win User

Connection resets on certain websites, how do I fix?

I didn't touch my computer throughout Winter Break, when I got back I noticed that some websites wouldn't connect. Temp fix is to spam refresh until it reaches the page. Laptop is a Dell XPS 15 (2017), running regular Windows 10.

Problem:

Certain websites will display a "connection reset / could not securely reach website" error. The error is consistent throughout Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer. It's always the same website and time doesn't fix it. I found that spamming the refresh button fixes the problem temporarily. The website pings and is traced successfully but is not connected to. The problem is only on my laptop, other devices are unaffected which leads me to believe it's an OS issue.

Attempted unsuccessful fixes:

- Firewall. Turned it off, added websites to trusted, checked if there's a proxy, checked blocked list. Firewall does not seem to be the problem.

- Internet Options. Messed around for like an hour, checked if there's something preventing connections, cleared IP list or something through the command prompt. Doesn't seem like internet settings are the problem.

- Updating drivers. Updated drivers, no fix, though I will note that a network adapter had an orange triangle for a little bit but it just went away(?).

- Running Support Assist (Dell's 'tuneup/cleaning' service)

I tried everything I could find online expect cmd prompt stuff.

I would appreciate any help and will provide any other required details. Thank you so much!!

:)

deadreets, Feb 1, 2019
  2. SeanC Win User

Router Denying Websites

My Router is denying certain websites, from a certain Server, but I don't remember equipping it to do so. It's a seemingly random occurance (which will not stop). Server's websites are perfectly accessible once the router is removed and straight cable connection is used instead. Frustrating.

I've tried resetting the router, but it doesn't want to for some reason (held and pressed button for 15 secs).

Any suggestions? *Wtf :wtf:

SeanC, Feb 1, 2019
  3. Can't access certain websites in Win10

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your efforts and time.

• As I understand you are unable to access certain websites, what websites are you not able to access?
    • Have you logged in with a Microsoft account or a local account?
    I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Network troubleshooter. Either search for it in the Search or run it by following the link below.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-to-network#1TC=windows-8

• Try a different network adapter/connection type if possible.
    • Check for Windows Updates.
    • Check for drivers for the network adapter.
    • Open a CMD window as Administrator:
      • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
      • sfc /scannow
      • netsh winsock reset
    Also try to restart the DNS service.

• Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Run.
    • Type services.msc. Click on Ok.
    • Then find DNS client. Right-click on it to Stop it and Restart it.
    If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 1, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Connection resets on certain websites, how do I fix? - Similar Threads - Connection resets certain

2. Certain Websites Do Not Function Properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain Websites Do Not Function Properly: I will open major websites such as YouTube, Gmail, Netflix, and Outlook, and they refuse to function properly.YouTube buffers every 2 seconds, even though I have a stable internet connection 200mbps down and upNetflix will not play any show.Gmail and Outlook won't let me log...
  3. Can't connect to certain websites on a certain wifi network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to certain websites on a certain wifi network: I recently bought a new laptop with window 11 and I can't seem to access certain websites on my home wifi network.I tested it on other networks and everything worked, even when I used a wired connection to my router everything was fine. I tried to clear my browser cache,...
  4. Can't connect to certain websites on a certain wifi network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to certain websites on a certain wifi network: I recently bought a new laptop with window 11 and I can't seem to access certain websites on my home wifi network.I tested it on other networks and everything worked, even when I used a wired connection to my router everything was fine. I tried to clear my browser cache,...
  5. how do I really block certain websites?

in Browsers and Email
    how do I really block certain websites?: Apparently, Windows 10 does not honor the hosts file, so I'm a bit confused as to how to block access to certain sites (specifically, I want to block YouTube on the computer that kids are using for online school classes, but the question is general, not about the specific...
  6. Cant connect to certain websites that are online

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant connect to certain websites that are online: Does anyone know why this occurs? Photo To list what I tried flushdns Uninstall Ethernet Driver No proxy No VPN Removed security programs Somehow mcafee got installed and it was horrible to uninstall Disabled firewall Tried on other browsers The sites work fine on my...
  7. Cannot Connect to Certain Websites

Cannot Connect to Certain Websites: This has been a problem for a few months now. Certain websites (like mega.nz and dropbox) will give me a connection error when I try to access them. This is true even if I change browsers, or even use my neighbor's wifi. I know it's not my own wifi, because I can use my...
  8. Can't connect to certain websites

Can't connect to certain websites: This issue has been going on for over 1 month already. I have already checked to see if it was an issue with only my WiFi/browser, but no. If I change to my neighbor's WiFi or something, the page still won't load. If I change to Microsoft edge or google chrome, it still won't...
  9. Not Able To Connect To Certain Websites

Not Able To Connect To Certain Websites: I Have Updated My Windows 10 Recently And Since I Did The Update, I Have Been Unable To Connect To Certain Websites Such As; https://store.steampowered.com/ https://euw.leagueoflegends.com/ https://discordapp.com/ I Tried Resetting (Keeping My Personal Files) And It...
  10. how do I block users from seeing certain websites?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how do I block users from seeing certain websites?: this would be on a computer that I don't have admin rights too. is their some way to stop a user from accessing certain websites? 126061