Windows 10: Connection to USB Drive Plugged into Router -Failing on Windows Home but not Enterprise

Discus and support Connection to USB Drive Plugged into Router -Failing on Windows Home but not Enterprise in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm struggling to connect to a USB hard drive that I've plugged into my router. I'm using Windows 10 Home version 1909. When I try to connect to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jaros91, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Jaros91 Win User

Connection to USB Drive Plugged into Router -Failing on Windows Home but not Enterprise

I'm struggling to connect to a USB hard drive that I've plugged into my router.

I'm using Windows 10 Home version 1909. When I try to connect to the router 192.168.1.254 with the disk drive in it, it takes a while, and then says it cannot connect. The diagnostic information says "The device or resource router name is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing SMB"."

But if I use a different computer I also have tried which is running Windows 10Enterprise Edition, it works absolutely fine, and connects immediately, showing me the directories and files on the hard drive. Also, if I connect using my Android phone using a network browser app, it also connects fine and shows me all my files. So I am confident that the router and hard drive are set up correctly. It must be something in my Windows Home Edition. But I cannot figure out what. I've tried to check the same processes are running and the same configuration is set up but there must be something different.

I should also add that from the Windows 10 Home computer, I can also connect to the other computer on the network that has a shared drive, and that works fine. So the Windows 10 Home computer does connect to remote drives on the network, but just not to the USB hard drive on the router.

Please could you advise what else I could check or change on my Windows 10 Home computer so that it works and connects to the USB drive on the router?

If it is relevant, I am running Mcafee for Virus/Firewall settings. I've tried changing some of those, but am not entirely sure what I'm doing there.

Would be very grateful for any advice here. Thank you!

:)

Jaros91, Jan 18, 2020
  2. LionelBad Win User

Can't access network drive plugged into the router USB port.

I am running Windows 10 on 2 laptops. One laptop can connect to the storage drive plugged into the USB port of my BT router. The other laptop (also running Windows 10) cant even see the drive plugged into the router. What have I done wrong?

LionelBad, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Can't access network drive plugged into the router USB port.

Hi Lionel,

It seems that your USB drive is not mapped on your other laptop that's why it can't see it. For me to properly assist you with this concern, please provide me the following information:

• Is this the first time you're trying to access the USB drive from the second laptop?
    • Have you tried adding or mapping the USB drive as a network drive?
    • Do you know the IP address of your router?

If the USB drive is already shared, then you can start mapping it on the second laptop. Please check out the link Map a network
    drive
    and follow the steps for Windows 10.

In case the above steps won't work, then you may have to access the USB drive using the router's IP address. If you don't know the router's IP, then you can check it from the
    Command Prompt. Just type in cmd in the Cortana search, then press Enter. Once the command prompt window opens, type in
    ipconfig, and press Enter. Whatever Default Gateway appears on the result is your
    router's IP address.

Connection to USB Drive Plugged into Router -Failing on Windows Home but not Enterprise 2adff3da-ebdb-4f0d-adc3-4a4dda5e9154?upload=true.png

To access the USB drive using the router's IP, follow these steps:

1. Open the File Explorer.
    2. Click the Network Folder, then clear the path in File Explorer, and replace it with
      \\192.168.2.1 (or whatever router IP you have), then press
      Enter.

Connection to USB Drive Plugged into Router -Failing on Windows Home but not Enterprise 689e83b8-12c2-4ed2-a7f0-f834044f8cdf?upload=true.png

3. The USB drive should now show as a shared folder. At this point, you can either
    pin the shared folder to Start, create a shortcut to the desktop, or
    map it as a network drive. You may follow the same steps from the link I provided above.

Please let me know how it goes so I can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 18, 2020
  4. IggSter Win User

Connection to USB Drive Plugged into Router -Failing on Windows Home but not Enterprise

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Connection to USB Drive Plugged into Router -Failing on Windows Home but not Enterprise - Similar Threads - Connection USB Drive

2. Can't connect to shared drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to shared drive connected to router: I have a TP-Link Archer GX90 gaming router with a Seagate 16TB portable hard drive connected to the router via the USB port. The router recognizes the hard drive and I have set the drive to be shared using the router's interface. I am able to access the drive over the network...
  3. Accessing a drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a drive connected to router: I have a hard disk connected to my router's USB port. I confirmed that the HD is compatible with the router.My goal is to use this HD as a 'network attached storage' so other computers on the same wireless network can access to HD to add files to it or download anything...
  4. Accessing a drive connected to router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing a drive connected to router: I have a hard disk connected to my router's USB port. I confirmed that the HD is compatible with the router.My goal is to use this HD as a 'network attached storage' so other computers on the same wireless network can access to HD to add files to it or download anything...
  5. Accessing a drive connected to router

6. USB drive in router

USB drive in router: I notice this topic has come up before but my symptoms are a bit different. I have a USB stick in the port on my router. This is recognised and mapped on a desktop and two laptops. On one laptop, the drive is sometimes unavailable. Maybe for a couple of days. And then...
  7. Access USB Plugged into Router

Access USB Plugged into Router: Hey Guys I am trying to access my router using file explorer [ATTACH] I then used the default gateway address and tried pasting it into file explorer as shown [ATTACH] But then receive the following error [ATTACH]...
  8. Connecting USB to Router to share file's

Connecting USB to Router to share file's: I would like to occasionally share file's like TV shows on my home network . I don't need a Nas as I do this very infrequently. My router does NOT have a USB port. Is it possible to connect a USB to my router using a USB to Ethernet adapter and then see those files on my...
  9. USB drive is plugged in- no pop up on home screen

USB drive is plugged in- no pop up on home screen: I don't get a pop up on my home screen when I plug a USB drive in. It shows up in This PC & it works, but I want the pop up so I don't have to open This PC...
  10. USB Plug in Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Plug in Drives: I am having problems in getting an External DVD Drive recognised by my laptop that is running Windows 10 with 1803. When the laptop is operating and I plug in a Canon Camera SX730-HS the File Explorer immediately recognises the camera yet when I plug in the external DVD...