Windows 10: Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651.

Discus and support Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Screenshot 1: Connection was already enabled as shown below. [img] Screenshot 2: Connection failed with error 651 as shown below. [img] Two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Matthew Wai, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651.

Screenshot 1: Connection was already enabled as shown below.

Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651. [​IMG]

Screenshot 2: Connection failed with error 651 as shown below.

Two days ago, the above problem suddenly arose.
    The only solution was to unplug the LAN cable and then plug it back in.
    Can anyone explain why an enabled connection failed with error 651?
    If the cable was loose, how could the connection have been enabled?
    If the cable was not loose, why could re-plugging have solved the problem?
    Is there a reasonable explanation?

:)

Matthew Wai, Apr 27, 2017
  2. john_525 Win User

Error: "connection failed with error 651" while trying to connect to internet on Windows 10

I have just installed windows 10 on a brand new computer. Now when I try to connect to the internet i get an error message "connection failed with error 651"

any ideas

Original title: error 651 in windows 10

john_525, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Error: "connection failed with error 651" while trying to connect to internet on Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for responding. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check the following services are enabled.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc, Services window gets opened.
    • Check if these services are enabled:

- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service

- Wireless lan

- DHCP

- DNS Client

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery - UPnP Device Host
    3. To start the service and set it to automatic, follow these steps:

• Right-click each of the services listed above and click on Properties.

• Click the General tab, and then, next to Startup type, select Automatic.

• Click Apply, and then click Start.
    Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to check if
    Network Adapter is enabled in Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Network Adapter.
    • Right click on adapter driver, click on Properties.
    • Click on Driver tab and Enable the driver.

Step 3: Run Network Adapter troubleshooter

Network Adapter troubleshooter find and fix the problems with wireless and other Network Adapter.

• Click on Start; in the start search type
      Troubleshooter and hit Enter.
    • In the left pane, click on View all.
    • Click on Network Adapter Troubleshooter.
    • Select Advance and click on
      Run as Administrator
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps. Try the troubleshooting steps and get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 27, 2017
  4. Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651.

Hi Matthew Wai.

From your screen shots you are connected but haven't been given an IP address. Look at your first screen shot, both IPV4 and 6 say No Internet Access. Below that you sent 189 packets, 0 packets received.

Not exactly sure of your setup. Are you connected to router? How do you get Internet, cellular, DSL, cable, Other?

Are there other devices using this router, might suggest rebooting them.

First could you power of your modem, your router and your PC. Then power up modem, router and finally PC.

To a command prompt(admin) run these commands. Don't key in the words in brackets, They are there to tell you what command does. After you enter all restart your computer again.

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 28, 2017
  5. The screenshots below were taken last night when the connection worked properly without a given IP address, which did not seem necessary at my end.

I have no router but an SE-301 Ethernet-VDSL Bridge modem only.
    I have only one device, a desktop, connected to the above modem. Three days ago I turned off and powered off them and then turned them back on after a minute but all to no avail. I also tried the following commands but to no avail either, so I will try your commands when the problem arises next time.
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset reset.log

Matthew Wai, Apr 29, 2017
  6. Okay.

Do you have set up instructions for this setup. If you don't have a router then I assume you need to use a static ip and from screen shots your device is expecting an address to be assigned. You also may need a Userid and password to join network.

I can't find that device on a google search which is very strange. Who made it, your modem?

Something either reset your PC or modem. Did you receive the Creator update or did you have any power issues lately.

Caledon Ken, Apr 29, 2017
  7. If you mean instructions from the ISP, I don't have it.
    I think that device is a modem because it can connect only one computer to the Internet via a LAN cable. The modem, made by D-Link, was given by my ISP.
    I don't know whether I have a static IP address. How can I find it?
    I use a PPPOE connection, on which a username and a password are needed.
    I clean installed CU on April 9. Error 651 suddenly appeared on April 27 when I was surfing the net. I have had no power issues lately.

Matthew Wai, Apr 30, 2017
  8. Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651.

Makes sense. I would contact supplier or look up on Internet for set up instructions. A clean install, by default, will have you using DHCP, meaning computer is expecting router to provide IP address. You need to set a static address and provide PPPOE username and password.

Instruction should be online, at least most suppliers put them there. This will be quickest route to getting back online.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 30, 2017
  9. I contacted my ISP yesterday. He said no instructions/manual were available.

I have been using the connection for almost six years but never had to set a static address.

Matthew Wai, May 3, 2017
  10. Well that doesn't sound right. Did they tell you it should work with DCHP (dynamic) address. Modems to my knowledge don't hand out addresses.

I looked for your device again and could not find.

Caledon Ken, May 3, 2017
  11. No, they did not. I have never heard about DCHP and know nothing about it.

I found them on Chinese pages.

Matthew Wai, May 3, 2017
  12. Your Windows device can be set up as DHCP or Static. DHCP gets address from router, Static you assign.

Do you have your setup papers from when you got device. It will have info on it.

Could you post link, hopefully Google will help me read. Fingers crossed.

Caledon Ken, May 3, 2017
  13. EdTittel Win User

Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651.

The IP address showing in the first screen is an APIPA address (169.154....) This kind of address appears only when DHCP is not available, and Windows then proceeds to provide itself an IP address automatically. In fact, APIPA stands for Automatic Private IP Addressing, and you can read more about it at Webopedia if you like. What's important here is that your ISP won't or can't tell you how to access its IP services, including DHCP. Weird! I'd be thinking about finding a new ISP, if I were you.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 3, 2017
  14. The device came only with a paper entitled 'Residential Broadband Service - Installation Acknowledgement Note', which included no instructions for settings.
    https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=%...iw=918&bih=409

Matthew Wai, May 4, 2017
  15. Caledon Ken, May 4, 2017
Thema:

Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651.

1. Connection was already enabled but failed with error 651. - Similar Threads - Connection was already

2. How to solve error 651 in Windows 8.1 in using wireless Internet-connection? Sometimes a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve error 651 in Windows 8.1 in using wireless Internet-connection? Sometimes a...: How to solve error 651 in Windows 8.1 in using wireless Internet-connection? Sometimes a problem, sometimes not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-error-651-in-windows-81-in-using/d6b320f2-ce4c-4775-8e9c-dd846ec2df81
  3. How to solve error 651 in Windows 8.1 in using wireless Internet-connection? Sometimes a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to solve error 651 in Windows 8.1 in using wireless Internet-connection? Sometimes a...: How to solve error 651 in Windows 8.1 in using wireless Internet-connection? Sometimes a problem, sometimes not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-error-651-in-windows-81-in-using/d6b320f2-ce4c-4775-8e9c-dd846ec2df81
  4. Wireless Capability is already enabled but can't connect, troubleshoot asking for turn on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless Capability is already enabled but can't connect, troubleshoot asking for turn on...: i broke my laptop keyboard, but since i only use my laptop at home, so i don't really mind since i use external keyboard. But i don't know how to connect my wifi without the fn key on the onboard keyboard. i tried Google it and they said just enable the Wireless Network...
  5. Code 651

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Code 651: Something is keeping Windows 10 from connecting wirelessly to my broadband connection previously used. I get code 651! Any ideas how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/code-651/17976cd5-95f0-4f74-9f82-e8959858d8cf
  6. failed with error 651

failed with error 651: although done my best I can't turn on airplane mode to connect to internet, wi-fi mode ok, but I don't like it. how to resolve it? my pc is of hp notebook, windows10. thanks....
  7. 651 error massage

651 error massage: got a error message 651. how do I fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/651-error-massage/31118063-8aa7-4a9b-a820-d4a09e963dc7
  8. Can't connect to the PPPOE error 651 - Module raspppoe.sys fails to load

Can't connect to the PPPOE error 651 - Module raspppoe.sys fails to load: Hello, I ran in an issue, I can't connect my windows 10 home via PPPoE with my ethernet cable, when i plug it in ethernet connection is on endless loop of: identification - connected (just for a 0,1 sec) - no connection. From time to time it stops and stays at Unknown...
  9. Can't connect to the PPPOE error 651 - endless loop of identification on ethernet - unknown...

Can't connect to the PPPOE error 651 - endless loop of identification on ethernet - unknown...: Hello, I ran in an issue, I can't connect my windows 10 home via PPPoE with my ethernet cable, when i plug it in ethernet connection is on endless loop of: identification - connected (just for a 0,1 sec) - no connection. From time to time it stops and stays at Unknown...
  10. DNS server not responding on desktop PC - with error 651

DNS server not responding on desktop PC - with error 651: I've had this problem since 26th June, and [while using my laptop to post this through my own wifi - so I know it's just my desktop that's the problem] here are what I've tried so far (that I can remember trying). It might be a bit jumbled, as I'm still trying different...