Windows 10: Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting.

Discus and support Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have this same problem on a Lenovo laptop, Intel N-7260 wifi adapter. Windows 10 Enterprise, 1903 -- current on updates. It will connect for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobGarrett, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting.

I have this same problem on a Lenovo laptop, Intel N-7260 wifi adapter. Windows 10 Enterprise, 1903 -- current on updates.

It will connect for a short time (sometimes an hour or so, more often less than a minutes) and then the connection drops and the adapter goes back into "Identifying" state - trying to get an address from DHCP. Let me be clear on this. This happens AFTER the adapter has already "DHCP'ed" and gotten a valid IP address assigned. After a short time (usually minutes) the adapter somehow "loses" this address and appears to try to "re-DHCP", at which point the problem begins. This attempt eventually fails and the adapter gets assigned a default local IP in the 169... network and it's in "No Internet" state.

Once that happens, no matter how many times I turn off and turn on wifi, disable/enable the adapter, reset the entire network using the full brace of all the netsh reset .... commands, it's done and won't successfully "DHCP".

However if I run the "diagnose"/troubleshooter tool, it will reconnect and successfully DHCP - for "awhile" - then the whole thing starts over.

What I've tried so far:

* Turning wifi off and on

* Disable/reenable the adapter

* Made sure that "power management" on the adapter is turned off

* Completely uninstalled/reinstalled the adapter from device manager (both with and without deleting the driver)

* Run all the netsh reset commands I've been able to find

* reset winsock

* used "Network Reset" from the Win10 Settings->Network & Internet menu

* Installing the most recent driver for the N-7260 directly from the Intel site

* sfc /scannow (runs clean)

* dism /checkhealth, /scanhealth, /restorehealth (from a known pristine install image) --- also runs clean

* doing all of the above immediately after a fresh boot

The ONLY thing I've found so far that has any positive results has been to run the diagnose/trouble-shooter tool. As it runs it shows messages: "Reset the WiFi adapter", ending in "Problems found: WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Fixed". At which point it's up and running ---- for a few minutes - maybe - if I'm lucky. Then the connection drops, it goes back into "Identifying..." which ultimately fails and the adapter once more has an IP address in the 169.. range with "No Internet", and it will stay that way no matter what I try (see above) until I run the Diagnose tool again. Looking in the various output detail files that the troubleshooter produces, there's not much useful information beyond what I already know - that the adapter has been assigned a 'local' address - duh.

BTW, I have my own server network here including my own local DHCP server, and *every* other computer on my network is running fine without any sort of DHCP problems at all, so I know DHCP is functional.

NOTHING - has solved the problem. It's still happening.

My conclusion: Network support in Windows 10 is **** and the MS developers who work on it are a bunch of morons.

:)

RobGarrett, Sep 28, 2019
  2. kpx1 Win User

Windows 10 - WiFi DHCP not assigning address

Just upgraded to Windows 10 on a HP2000 Notebook. The upgrade worked flawlessly with one exception. I performed the upgrade while wired to the network. When I switched to WiFi, the adapter showed "Limited Connectivity". Using Regedit, I looked at HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters/Interfaces
    and found that my WiFi adapter was receiving a DHCP assigned address.

In my home, I use DHCP statically assigned addresses and typically I assign the same IP to both wired and WiFi adapters on a given machine. What I didn't realize is that because the wired adapter had already been assigned the same DHCP address, the WiFi
    adapter somehow couldn't re-use the address it was given by the DHCP.

After giving the Wifi adapter a different DHCP-assigned address than the wired adapter, it worked perfectly.

3. wpcoe Win User
    No WiFi in Win10 Pro (1903) Windows Sandbox

I (seemingly) successfully updated my Surface Pro 6 to v.1903 today, and after some initial fumbles enabling it, now have Windows Sandbox enabled and it seems to open just fine. However, there is no WiFi access within Sandbox.

Accessing Settings for Network & Internet, the list on the left is:
    Status
    Ethernet
    Dial-up
    VPN
    Airplane mode
    Date usage
    Proxy
    WiFi appears no place in that window. Network status shows No Internet Access.

What step am I missing to be able to access the internet from within the Sandbox using my computer's WiFi connection?

wpcoe, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting.

USB Wireless adapter not connecting to Wifi

Hello

I am having trouble making my new USB Wifi Adapter to work. The drivers are working fine but the issue is it is not connecting to wifi.

1. I am using Windows 10
    2. The adapter which I am trying to work is Alfa AWUS036NHA 150Mbps
    3. I have also one USB mini wifi adapter attached to my other USB through which I am currently using internet

Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting. [​IMG]

From the above screenshot, the Wi-Fi 2 is which I am trying to connect. When I right-click on Wi-Fi 2 and click on Connect/Disconnect, It shows the already connected Wifi through USB mini adapter.

When I Disable WiFi and try to connect through WiFi 2 then it shows an error "Change settings, such as making a connection metered"

The device utility does not show any Wifi available connections though there are 2-3 wifi connection is there.

Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting. [​IMG]

any idea how can I make connect to internet using my new Alfa AWUS036NHA 150Mbps Wireless USB Adaptor - Wi Fi 2 on Windows 10 ?

oneandthree, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting.

1. Consistent DHCP failures on WIndows 10 (1903) Wifi adapter after successfully connecting. - Similar Threads - Consistent DHCP failures

2. Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure: Hi,I have been using an old Toshiba L655 laptop with Windows 10. The driver for the WiFi is obviously not supported anymore as Toshiba hasn’t made computers for years. In the most recent windows 10 update, the wifi adapter failed to find my network at all. It will find other...
  3. Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure: Hi,I have been using an old Toshiba L655 laptop with Windows 10. The driver for the WiFi is obviously not supported anymore as Toshiba hasn’t made computers for years. In the most recent windows 10 update, the wifi adapter failed to find my network at all. It will find other...
  4. Windows 10 Wifi Network Adapter Failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. My wifi adapter not connecting to wifi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My wifi adapter not connecting to wifi: My wifi adapter is not showing the the list of available networks i have tried everything but none of them is working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifi-adapter-not-connecting-to-wifi/3ce3747e-9214-4d91-91dc-65167d24faa6
  6. browsers consistent failure to connect in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    browsers consistent failure to connect in Windows 10: Since a recent update Edge, Firefox and Chrome seem unable to connect to websites in a seemingly random fashion when clicking on links from emails and some sites and even after typing in the URL into the browser. Typical responses are to the effect that the site cannot be...
  7. browsers consistent failure to connect in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    browsers consistent failure to connect in Windows 10: Since a recent update Edge, Firefox and Chrome seem unable to connect to websites in a seemingly random fashion when clicking on links from emails and some sites and even after typing in the URL into the browser. Typical responses are to the effect that the site cannot be...
  8. browsers consistent failure to connect in Windows 10

9. Windows 10 1903 DHCP not working

Windows 10 1903 DHCP not working: On 10/4 at the end of the day all our Windows 10 Pro 1903 workstations were working. Today we came in and started up the PC and get updates date 10/7. After that DHCP requests returned 169... addresses. We tried: Updating NIC drive Resetting IP stack Uninstalling...
  10. WiFi connection issue after 1903 upgrade.

WiFi connection issue after 1903 upgrade.: Hello All I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. which went through OK using my WiFi connection at home. how ever after upgrade my WiFi connection shows all WiFi network available but when I try to connect after entering the password it get disappear and I will have...