Windows 10: Constant BSODs and Crashes after updating to Windows 10, 1903

Discus and support Constant BSODs and Crashes after updating to Windows 10, 1903 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; About a week or so ago I installed the Windows 1903 update, and I remember there being an initial BSOD during the install process, though it still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JamesLove4, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Constant BSODs and Crashes after updating to Windows 10, 1903

About a week or so ago I installed the Windows 1903 update, and I remember there being an initial BSOD during the install process, though it still finished without other incident. I had thought this was a temporary issue but my computer has been virtually unusable since the update. For the first day or so my computer would not start at all; it would try to load up Windows and then give one of an astounding amount of blue screen errors that all seemed to relate to driver issues, like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but it would also sometimes throw issues relating to memory, like trying to write to read only memory, or PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. It even gave me issues for ntfs.sys. I tried to write them down but I've misplaced the list, and it really was about seventeen or eighteen different errors. I left it for the rest of the day because it was very frustrating, and after looking around it seemed others had the same problem, including someone in my family. They said they had fixed the problem and their solution was to reinstall Windows, so I had them give me a Windows boot USB to try that.

Initially I was very hopeful that reinstalling Windows 10 would solve the problem, and, though it did seem to help, it just enabled me to actually log in to my computer. The BSODs did not stop at all. I started out by unplugging everything but the mouse and keyboard, including all my non-necessary hard drives, and even the graphics card to see what could be causing the problem, but none of that seemed to help. I re-seated my memory I ran a memtest a week ago and got no errors, and about once a day I run an sfc /scannow check to see if anything else has changed, along with using the DISM health feature, both of which didn't seem to show any issues. I checked Windows Update and got every single thing that it recommended and still nothing helped.

But now I was able to see if there was any consistency in what caused them. I tried to use my computer somewhat normally for a time to see what could be triggering the BSODs (which were still always throwing out different reasons for the crash that seemed related to drivers) but the only thing that seems to trigger it is over-using memory or the processor, but only sometimes. I also noticed that, after reinstalling some of the programs that run on Windows start, like Discord, Dropbox, and Steam, sometimes the screen would go black for an instant, with the graphics appearing to fail, then everything except the offending window would come back with no indication of any crashes or issues. The computer also seemed to BSOD a lot when starting these programs up.

For example of what usage would cause problems, I could run a game like Europa Universalis 4 somewhat consistently, though the game would sometimes randomly crash with no indication of why, and when its loaded up or was in normal use it could sometimes crash the entire computer. Again, there hasn't seemed to be any rhyme or reason to what's causing the crashes as far as I can tell, other than maybe they're occurring at instances of higher load on either the memory or processor, but even that doesn't seem consistent. However, I could run a game like EU4 inconsistently, but for a while if I tried to open more than 4 normal Chrome tabs, or load a webpage that had more than a few ads on it, the whole system would BSOD.

For a few days I tried to see if it would become less likely or the computer would end up less finicky, but so far no such thing has happened. I've also been busy this week so I haven't been able to spend just a full day fixing it like I've been meaning to. I tried to reinstall Windows again, to downgrade, while running Windows itself, and the install failed due to a BSOD. I even got so desperate as to try to install Ubuntu while keeping boot manager but that froze during the installation. Yesterday, the computer starting hanging for a few seconds then rebooting itself without throwing any BSOD at all, which worried me a lot because everything I found online suggested that meant my Power Supply was dying, which confused me as it was less than 2 years old and I don't see how such a thing could happen.

I tried to reinstall Windows one last time, this time downgrading to the last stable build I was on, 1809. After that, I made sure that all my drivers were up to date using the Device Manager and a program called Driver Talent, which I didn't like but it seemed to help. All this has made booting into Windows remarkably consistent, in that I can do it almost every time, but I still get BSODs if I try to do anything more taxing than open Speccy, the task manager, and three Edge tabs. Thanks Microsoft, you've forced me to use Edge by destroying my computer.

Sorry. I'm incredibly frustrated and haven't been able to use my computer (which ran absolutely beautifully before this update and I only updated because there was this big scare about my version no longer being supported if I didn't update so thanks for that) for about a week now and I'm terrified that this update has somehow destroyed some vital component of my computer and the only solution is to buy more, expensive parts. After I post this I'm going to reseat my RAM again and run another memtest because the last one, that I set on "extensive," just stopped working at 21% through the first pass, even after leaving to run through the night. I know I should watch it the whole time but I was tired and had already spent a long time that day trying to fix this. I also want to see if my clock rate for the RAM is off somehow.

So in brief:

• Computer would BSOD constantly after Windows 1903 update, so much so that Windows wouldn't even start, throwing errors relating to drivers, memory, all kinds of things; rarely saw the same one twice even after about ten BSODs
    • Reinstalled Windows off a USB stick, made sure the get everything completely up to date, computer remained incredibly unstable
    • Tried to keep using computer normally, crashes progressed to the point where it would hang and crash without even throwing a BSOD and would sometimes loop this way
    • Did sfc /scannow several times, and used DISM image health function several times and also ran a memtest
    • Reinstalled Windows at version 1809 off my own USB stick, updated drivers through device manager when possible and had to use a program called Driver Talent to see about other ones, which seemed to help but I'm still wary
    • Currently able to consistently boot into Windows so far with no immediate BSODs, but they still happen rather frequently, along with the no BSOD hang and crashes.
    • Computer now lagging a lot, but only sometimes, under low level use (using one tab of an internet browser, things like that)

Specs:

OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1200MHz (17-17-17-39)
    Motherboard
    Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B45) (U3E1)
    Graphics
    VW246 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    NS-24E730A12 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (EVGA)
    Storage
    232GB Hitachi HFS250G32TND-N1A2A (SATA (SSD)
    2794GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 (SATA )
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 (SATA )
    1863GB Hitachi HUA723020ALA641 (SATA )
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

As you can see, I don't have a sound card, I just use the on-board sound from my motherboard. I only have one stick of memory because, when I built this PC, I thought I ordered a set of two 8GB sticks but it turns out I made a mistake and ordered one 16GB sticks and it just never caused problems to remind me to buy more memory. I've been trying to keep an eye on RAM usage and it never seems to get above 8GB. Also, while uploading my minidump zip, my computer crashed without a BSOD message. Anyway these are all the minidumps that were in the folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/45doi8onhgnumu9/minidump.zip?dl=0

:)

JamesLove4, Sep 9, 2019
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

KernelBase.dll is broken constant BSOD's constant game crashing.

Hi Darry,

User Profile corruption is one of the possible reasons why you are experiencing constant BSOD's on your computer. You mentioned that you ran the
    System File Checker (SFC) tool, but is still getting a stop code. To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you create a new User Profile and check if the issue persists.

To create a user profile, follow these steps:

• Go to Settings. Click Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Select the Add someone else to this PC tab.
    • Name the user as Test.
    • Leave the password field blank.
    • Hit Next.
    • Sign in as Test user.

You may also check this link
    to fix BSOD errors. Choose the situation when you experienced the problem and follow the troubleshooting steps.

Dyan Rey, Sep 9, 2019
  3. bkconn Win User
    Constant BSOD even after fresh install

Step 19. Done

Constant BSODs and Crashes after updating to Windows 10, 1903 [​IMG]

Step 20. Done in the first post.

Step 21. Done.

bkconn, Sep 9, 2019
  4. bkconn Win User

Constant BSODs and Crashes after updating to Windows 10, 1903

Constant BSOD even after fresh install

Step 16. Restore Point has been turned on and created for drive C:

Step 17. I do not have Ccleaner installed

Step 18. Speedfan

bkconn, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Constant BSODs and Crashes after updating to Windows 10, 1903

1. Constant BSODs and Crashes after updating to Windows 10, 1903 - Similar Threads - Constant BSODs Crashes

2. Constant BSODs after windows update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant BSODs after windows update.: Today my computer installed several updates and ever since I have been getting a BSOD with a different message every ~30 minutes.Here are the updates that were installed:Dell, Inc. - Firmware - 0.1.6.02021-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems...
  3. Constant BSODs after windows update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant BSODs after windows update.: Today my computer installed several updates and ever since I have been getting a BSOD with a different message every ~30 minutes.Here are the updates that were installed:Dell, Inc. - Firmware - 0.1.6.02021-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems...
  4. Constant BSODs after windows update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 Crashing constantly after latest update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Crashing constantly after latest update: Hi, i am Tarandeep Singh a windows 10 user My pc recently2-3 days ago showed me that a windows Update is available and i downloaded and installed but from then, i am constantly getting crashes with following error codes DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error And...
  6. BSOD after updating Windows 10 to Version 1903

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after updating Windows 10 to Version 1903: I've been a BSOD problem with stop code KERNEL MODE HEAP CORRUPTION on my Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 1903 installed on it. I ran DISM and SFC, and updated all of my drivers using Driver Easy, and yet I'm still having this problem. OneDrive link...
  7. BSOD after 1903 update

BSOD after 1903 update: Hi, I've updated my PC to 1903 Update 2 days back and i am getting BSOD after using my pc for a while it restarts itself again. This is happening every time i use my PC . I've looked for this problem on Microsoft's website and after some digging i found an article for the...
  8. Constant BSOD - Before and after updating from 1809 to 1903

Constant BSOD - Before and after updating from 1809 to 1903: Hello, I have been getting constant BSOD's on a fairly important machine. We use it for Editing and post production. The symptoms are like this: The system works fine for a day, then throughout using it will start to get slow (takes longer to open files, or even explorer...
  9. After Installation of Windows 10 Update 1903 my computer crashes with BSOD and the message...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Installation of Windows 10 Update 1903 my computer crashes with BSOD and the message...: I have a new computer (Dell XPS 8930) and have Windows 10 Pro. I did the update on the night of 06/13/19. The next day when I started up my computer it would crash after about two minutes. After a lengthy process of disabling programs through System Configuration and...
  10. Windows 10 1903 update - Nothing, but constant BSODs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 1903 update - Nothing, but constant BSODs: Hello everyone. 2-3 weeks ago, I bought new parts for my PC, with which I went from Intel to AMD. After installing the parts, I did not reinstall Windows as at that time I didn't have a USB drive to do it with, so I just let the PC be like it is. It was fine, everything...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. europa 4 freezes computer on startup