Windows 10: Constant crashing with black screens and GFX going to 100%.

Discus and support Constant crashing with black screens and GFX going to 100%. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi. I have a problem of computer keeps crashing with black screens and GFX card fans go to 100%. Initially i thought it was only in VR games, as that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Psico, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Psico Win User

Constant crashing with black screens and GFX going to 100%.

Hi.
    I have a problem of computer keeps crashing with black screens and GFX card fans go to 100%.
    Initially i thought it was only in VR games, as that was where i first saw it. At that time normal 2d games worked fine.
    It has more or less worked flawlessly since i bought it, but suddenly Wednesday/Thursday last week, the game i was in (and had been for hours) crashed and all screens went black, game sound kept playing, but windows did not react to any inputs.
    I booted up the game again, and I could play for 1 hour before it crashed again.
    Now it crashes almost instantly after i start Steam VR.
    It is no longer only SteamVR it has problems with. When the problem started a week ago, I tried multiple normal games, as well as torture test of Graphics/CPU/RAM without any problems.
    But every time i started up Steam VR it crashes from 1 sec to 15 minutes in. Usually it takes 2-3 minutes. Even when standing still in SteamVR home lobby or menus in a game. But now I cannot even start SteamVR, if i even get inside windows.
    Every time the crash happens, the fans on the GFX card goes from silent to 100% and stays there. And all connection to peripherals are broken, e.g. mouse, keyboard, screens, network connection etc.
    When looking in the windows event log it states for each crash that:
    "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." and "Faulting application name: dwm.exe "
    In the application log it states errors about dwm.exe crashed several times in a few seconds.

If i put the system in standby after the crash, and wake the computer op i get to a black/white 640x480 resolution login to my computer where i see that the game / windows is still running.
    MSI afterburner (which i installed after the problem started occuring), here says: "Lost connection to GPU1".
    I am not overclocking anything, and have checked for temperature problems, everything is cool in a great cabinet for cooling, so it is not an overheating problem of the environment within.

I have tried
    - reinstalling clean Nvidia drivers.
    - unplugging all non-required usb connectors.
    - re-installed Viveport, Steam and Steam VR
    - Checked for malware / virus - and afterwards disabling AV for Steam/VIVE folders. As well as uninstalled AV.
    - Restored computer to earlier state where there was earlier no problem. Problem still there.
    - Re-installed windows 10, multiple times
    - Updated bios on Motherboard
    - Verfied no newer vBios was available for GFX card.
    - Re-seating the GFX
    - Tried with other RAM blocks
    - Tried with another identical graphic card. (A problem generic for the model in combination with some software/hardware ?)
    - Tried with other wires / connectors
    - Tried other USB ports for the Vives.
    -Tried the old Vive = same problem.
    - Tried bringing my old vive to a friend, and test on his system, which works fine it seems, although we only had the chance to test for 30 minutes
    Then it started to now also doing it outside steam, e.g. when using MS office for my final thesis of a study.
    Now it even does it over half the time i try to boot into windows, all screens go black and fan on GFX card spins to 100%, and can do that 3-4 ties in a row. As i now often have to do a hard shutdown sometimes windows repair have to run.
    Also when trying to use Furmark or similar same black screens crash.
    Please assist me, I am giving up, and have now spent more than a week with 3-5 hours a day to get this working again.

Best regards.

:)

Psico, Sep 27, 2018
  2. zplugger Win User

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Sep 27, 2018
  3. Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Constant crashing with black screens and GFX going to 100%. - Similar Threads - Constant crashing black

2. DWM.exe Keeps Crashing! It's causing my screens to go black and my fans to go to 100% speed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM.exe Keeps Crashing! It's causing my screens to go black and my fans to go to 100% speed.: SPECSOS: Windows 11 ProCPU: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics, 3801 Mhz, 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors GPU: GIGABYTE3090RAM: 16GBMotherboard: BaseBoard Product B550 AORUS ELITE Power: EVGA 750w goldI am getting the following error. Faulting application name:...
  3. Computer randomly crashes into a black screen and fans going at 100% speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer randomly crashes into a black screen and fans going at 100% speed: I have run into this problem about 5 days ago and i couldn't fix it. my computer keeps on running in to this black screen can some one help?...
  4. Computer randomly crashes into a black screen and fans going at 100% speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly crashes into a black screen and fans going at 100% speed: I have run into this problem about 5 days ago and i couldn't fix it. my computer keeps on running in to this black screen can some one help?...
  5. Computer randomly crashes into a black screen and fans going at 100% speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. DWM.exe Keeps Crashing! It's causing my screens to go black and my fans to go to 100% speed.

DWM.exe Keeps Crashing! It's causing my screens to go black and my fans to go to 100% speed.: SPECSOS: Windows 11 ProCPU: IntelR CoreTM i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHzGPU: Zortec 3080 Amp HoloRAM: 32.0 GB 31.9 GB usableMotherboard: RogStrix Z490-E GamingPower: Corsair 1000WI used to have a 1080ti and had to adjust settings to only encounter this issue sometimes but...
  7. Windows crashes, screen goes black, fans go too 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes, screen goes black, fans go too 100%: Hello,I built a new PC recently and it crashes sometimes with one specific game only, none of my other games crash it. It doesn't generate a dump file and when I look up the system journal I see this error:Fault bucket BAD_DUMPFILE, type 0Event Name: LiveKernelEventResponse:...
  8. Windows crashes, screen goes black, fans go too 100%

Windows crashes, screen goes black, fans go too 100%: Hello,I built a new PC recently and it crashes sometimes with one specific game only, none of my other games crash it. It doesn't generate a dump file and when I look up the system journal I see this error:Fault bucket BAD_DUMPFILE, type 0Event Name: LiveKernelEventResponse:...
  9. Windows crashes, screen goes black, fans go too 100%

10. Constant Blue screening, Black screening and crashing of programs.

Constant Blue screening, Black screening and crashing of programs.: Hey, there I've been having some issues for months now. Basically, my pc will blue screen, black screen, or the programs I'm using will just crash. I have updated all my drivers/bios and wiped windows and it still happens. I have done a MemTest86 and that came back fine as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 constant black screens